“New Hotel Concept Works For Me!”
Review of East Village Hotel

East Village Hotel
Ranked #21 of 75 New York City B&B and Inns
“New Hotel Concept Works For Me!”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed for 5 nights during the grand opening of the East Village Hotel in NYC. This is the first time I have stayed in a hotel like this concept. I come to NYC four times a year to visit my daughter who studies at NYU and usually stay at hotels like the W or Sheraton... hotels with full service and with amenities. I was blind-sighted when upon my arrival at 11pm, there was no sign of the hotel name (just the address # 147 on the glass door along 9th Street); there was no Bell service to help me with my luggage; and there was no front desk service. In other words, there was absolutely no human being to help you check in. The Hotel will text you a code to open the front door. Once you are in, there is an iPad that you check in, which will then give you the room number and another numeric code on a keypad to open your room. There is no elevator on this 4 story building. All the hotel rooms start on the second floor. Lucky for me I got the second floor room #4. If for whatever reason the iPad check in does not work, there is always a phone number you can call 24 hours a day.

The room itself is very clean with a nice bathroom with shower (no tub). And it also features a complete kitchenette (microwave, stove, fridge, utensils, pots, pans, etc). No carpet, but nice laminated wood floor. Queen size bed, nice lighting, flatscreen tv with cable, and the air conditioning was really strong. I was on the 2nd floor and with the window closed, it was very quiet. The room also featured crown moldings and a nice base board, and the walls had a nice soothing beige color. The room size with my estimate is about 175 square feet (or 17 square meters).

Some of the things I didn't like about the room is that it didn't have a desk. I wish the management would put one because everybody has a laptop or some kind of electronic gadget. Even a small desk would suffice. Another thing is that while you can't hear the outside noise, you can easily hear the other rooms. The walls are very thin. There is also no door sign for the maid that says "Privacy Please" or "Please Clean Room." The maids don't know if you are sleeping through the afternoon, which I did. So the maid just kept on ringing the door bell. (Management: please buy these signs. I'm sure it won't break the bank, but will help your guests communicate with the maid service).

Other things I liked is that if there is something extra you need like pillows or towels, you can just shoot a text or make a phone call and leave a voicemail, and your request will be taken cared of. Also, I liked the ambiance of the whole building. The owners did an excellent job renovating this old building to looking new and classy.

At first I wasn't too crazy about the whole new concept of not having any human beings to service my stay. But on the second day when I realized that I can come and go anytime, security was good with the front door and hotel room with no keys or card to carry, I began to like the whole concept of this new and innovative hotel. It is definitely not for everybody, especially for disabled people who needs an elevator and those who want a pool, tennis courts, restaurants in the hotel, lobby, and all the other big hotel amenities. The other thing is when checking out, there is no free storage for your luggages in case your flight is still several hours away. The hotel has a charge of $25 per hour to store your luggages. I hope management eliminates this charge as an incentive for guests to stay with them again in the future.

The location of this hotel on the corner of 1st Av and 9th St is excellent. It is near all the subways and is only a couple of blocks away from St. Marks, and close to so many other attractions. Taxi drive by every other second. This is a good place to stay. I hope the management can keep their prices low, especially since their overhead is low. I will definitely come to stay again.

Room Tip: There is no elevator and all rooms start on the second floor. Rooms 1 through 6 are on the second fl...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank AL M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 18, 2012

East Village Hotel Part 1

This review is for the first week of a two-week stay: iPad check in does not work so you will need to call to get into the building and into your room.

The first room assigned to me had a door that would not lock. I didn't discover this until the next morning. I called the 24/7 number to ask for the lock to be fixed and the number was temporarily disconnected. Eventually the housekeeper arrived and moved me to another room. The second room was not as clean or new-looking but at least the door locked. The second room also had a television that only worked intermittently. It was fixed once, but after that I didn't bother reporting the issue since there is no staff on site at all and someone has to come over to the building to deal with any issues that come up. After that no major problems.

AC works well but is super loud.

Can smell cigarette smoke from people on the ground floor – seeping in through the windows.

This hotel is a great value if you can get a rate under $150 a night. Not so great if you pay much more than that.

East Village Hotel Part 2

This is part 2 of my review – a second reservation and a second week at the East Village Hotel. I was moved back to my original room with my second reservation. The original room was definitely newer and fresher.

Beyond the initial check in and door locking problems, the second week of my stay involved a lot of noise. One night there was extremely loud drilling and hammering from 3am to 4am. I couldn’t tell where the noise was coming from, but it seemed to be coming from below. Maybe the coffee shop on the ground floor was doing some work? Another night, an alarm went off and rang from about 4am to 6am. I have no idea where that noise was coming from. Needless to say that by the end of my stay I was exhausted from getting no sleep for 2 of my 5 nights there.

There was also very minimal housekeeping. My sheets were never changed and although my towels were changed (sometimes) there was no actual cleaning. And for some reason, they took away my face towel after the first night and never brought another.

With no staff at all on site, when something goes wrong there is no one around to help.

Finally, there seemed to be a problem with people leaving the front door (leading to the street) open. Surely we need the extra door of security in the East Village! Well in fact I’m pretty sure that the swanky leather couch that sat in the lobby area was stolen during my stay. The staff put in a wooden table and a couple of plastic chairs in its place, but they really looked out of place.

In all, lots of bumps and hiccups during my two-week stay. I paid a rate of $119 per night so I could deal with the problems. If I had paid much more I would have felt swindled.

Room Tip: I enjoyed a corner room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank LisaJLosAngeles
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Our train rolled into NYC earlier than planned and we were allowed to check in as soon as we arrived at the hotel(11:00am). We had a corner room that allowed us to see out 9th St and 1st Ave. I loved sitting out on the fire escape and people watching at night. The subway entrance was in close proximity. The room was more like a studio apt with a kitchenette (fridge, stove, utensils etc). There was a coffee shop and a lil grocery store right below us. The assistant manager, Jose, was very helpful on several different occasions. We were there for a week and I could have easily stayed, even live in there - it was truly awesome!!!! Thanks for a great experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank nlbaker
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Definitely going back and glad I took the adventure. I am a regular visitor to NYC who was there to see my cousin perform in Mary Poppins and have a couple fantastic meals. I found the East Village Hotel experience to be actually quite wonderful. We were welcomed at the EVH by a woman named Denise who was waiting for us when we arrived. We were given our codes for the front door and our room immediately - probably the easiest NYC check in I have ever experienced. We walked to our room on the 4th floor: the exposed brick hallway, complimented by art deco black and gray carpet and soft lighting which were romantic and warm made the halls feel very much like I was in a New Orleans boutique hotel. The room, which we entered with a code, was small but well appointed in minimalist style. Very user friendly. There was a letter welcoming us and stating that we were some of the first guests to stay in the hotel as this was their soft opening and directing us how to contact someone if we needed anything. There was still construction happening on the lower floors however it did not disturb or impede us. The room was meticulously clean, however I would like to note that a better quality sheet would have made our sleep just that much more comfortable as the bed was very comfy. The kitchenette was well put together and allowed us to have snacks and chilled wine. Small pieces of pop-art were on the wall which I am hoping were produced by a local artist. Our room looked over 9th St. and with the AC I heard no outside noise, although I am guessing with the window open the fun sounds of NYC would abound. It was a perfect setting for this trip, overall clean, well-put together, lovely but simplistic style and providing all of the ease of traveling in NYC without the insanity of Manhattan.

Room Tip: We chose the standard room, which was boutique style small; so if you need a larger room be aware to...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family