“Better than some restaurants in Thailand!!!”
Review of Zabb Elee

Zabb Elee
Ranked #6,421 of 13,938 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: East Village
Description: Zabb Elee Queens71-28 Roosevelt Ave, Queens, NY 11372 Tel : 718.426.7992
Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

My friend decided she wanted Thai for her birthday dinner, googled best Thai in NYC and made a reservation here. It was even better than we thought it would be. I've been to Thailand several times and some of this food was better than what I've had there! The papaya salad was the best ever. Incredibly fresh. We also had sautéed greens, unfortunately I didn't catch the name but our server suggested it. We finished that plate. The servings were huge and very well priced. The place was incredibly clean and service was good. The pomegranate margarita was great but I wouldn't reccommend any other cocktails. They do have all the southeast Asian beers you'll want. Would definitely go again.

There are newer reviews for Zabb Elee

Reviewed May 5, 2014

It was not our first visit to Zabb Elee so we knew what to expect : the best!
Nevertheless I feel that I have to review it again especially considering other thai restaurants we went to in New York.
If you want real thai food and if you like it hot this is the place to come. The papaya salad is amazing and so is the whole fried fish. Everything we tasted was what you expect from thai food: flavor and spiciness
Portions are generous and service is friendly.
Don't miss it!

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Zabb Elee offers the uninitiated a very interesting blend of Thai food that most of us have never experienced or tried to pronounce before.

We visited Zabb Elee on a quiet weeknight with not much advance knowledge other than that it was pretty highly reviewed. Unfortunately, the waiter was not terribly helpful at explaining the different food categories (Larb, Yum, Yang, etc.) though after did after some prompting point us to some of the more "popular" choices. Fortunately, we ended up with some very good dishes: chicken larb (Larb Kai) a cold ground chicken with bright lime spicing, crispy pork with thai eggplant and curry (Pab Peb Moo Krob) and a fish special.

It was all for the three of us quite a explosion of spice and new flavors, and we quickly surmised that one has to be very careful with the heat levels here. My son and I were both very pleased, though my wife was a little disconcerted by the unfamiliar tastes and textures.

All told, Zabb Elee is quite a gem, off the beaten culinary tract for most of us, and certainly not your grandmother's Thai food restaurant.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

After reading many of the high reviews that foodies and people have given this restaurant, I decided to pay it a visit as I am a massive lover of the Thai cuisine. I went there with a great friend and when visiting a restaurant for the very first time my 'Foodie' radar is up and running and in full operation. I decided to try some of the recommended dishes to get a guage of this restaurants level of Flavors, etc.

I tried the Som Tum Muazuar and this was really very good with the flavors popping-From what I have been made to understand-al the Som Tums are good. My guest and I thoroughly enjoyed this-there was enough on the plate to feed two people. For my entree I decided to try the Pad Ped Moo Krob. This was good but I would not go as far to say that it was great.
I have to say that years ago, my cousin and I discovered this amazing Thai Restaurant named 'Montein' We ate there every visit we made to the apple and were never let down or disappointed. On one occassion I heard a lady sitting near me call the waitress over and tell her that she had eaten Thai all over NYC and that the Thai at 'Montein' was the best. Unfortunately the restaurant closed down. I say all that to say that I am on the hunt for the next best Thai Restaurant for me. Zabb Ellee does have great food but this is not number one for me. I am still in pursuit.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

The low-key basement spot focuses on the fiery, funky foods of northern Thailand, and the roster is a challenging one, with categories like tod (fried meats), som tum (papaya salads) and yang (grilled meats) making up the more than five dozen choices. Also recommend Red-curry fish custard (hor mok), duck larb, crispy pork with Chinese broccoli (kana moo korb), fried tilapia (larb pla korb), fried chicken (kai tod)