“My Name is Asher Lev exceeded our expectations”
Review of Westside Theatre

Westside Theatre
Ranked #258 of 1,092 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: "DISENCHANTED!" now playing in the Westside Theatre Upstairs
Thornhill, Canada
135 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“My Name is Asher Lev exceeded our expectations”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

My teenage son was not expecting to enjoy the play, but the acting was so good he came out of the show saying how much he enjoyed it.

Many, Louisiana
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“"My Name is Asher Lev"”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I both loved this play. Someone had told me not to go to an "off broadway" production but I saw the great reviews of this play and took a chance. (On our trip I learned that "off broadway" has nothing to do with the quality of the show but the number of seats in the theater.) I am so glad we went. The conflict between the father and son and the mother caught in the middle is something that I as a mother could totally relate to. It is a small, intimate setting and it felt like everyone in the theater was drawn in and connected to the characters.
I ask the lady at the concession where we should eat after the play. She recommended West Bank Café; she said they cater meals for the theater employees. It was a great, reasonably priced meal and the perfect way to end our night.

1 Thank Melwood62
Chicago, Illinois
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Enjoy Off Broadway”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is a lovely small off Broadway theatre that you will really enjoy once you tire of the throngs of people in Times Square. We saw "My Name is Asher Lev" on a Sunday afternoon and loved it!

New Jersey
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“If you like to laugh... Go”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Very very funny, one joke after the other, not for young children, many jokes have to do with sexual references. It is 90 minutes without an intermission. It is a small theater, I doubt there is a bad seat.

The humor is universal regardless of religion. We laughed and left happy.

Brisbane, Australia
204 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 212 helpful votes
“Oh yes, for a person my age - just hilarious”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Even though I am from Australia, there was so much I could relate to in this production of Old Jews Telling Jokes. Actually 2 of them were quite young. My husband I think was probably the only "goyim" in attendance.
Interesting reading previous reviews how people get so offended by sex jokes. I wonder why - sex is a delightful AND funny part of life.
I laughed till I cried (as did my American Presbyterian husband).
I have seen these on YouTube and heard many of these in my formative years via Shelley Berman and other early TV greats. Wonderfully done - I wish it went on longer. Actually the pre-show seat shuffle among the attendees was so funny we thought it was part of the show. Fabulous old theatre too.