“underwhelming”

Ranked #372 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Broomall, Pennsylvania
“underwhelming”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

First and foremost, the hotel was quite clean, and the staff was courteous, so I am pleased about that. The hotel is near the subway stations, so it was convenient in that respect, but the neighborhood was certainly not what I would consider a "nice" area of New York. There are small improvements that the hotel could make such as: put hooks in the room - there was no closet in our room, nor any kind of dresser/drawers, so our clothes had to remain in our bags. Also, while the bathroom was quite spacious, there was only a tiny shelf next to the sink, so any toiletries that didn't fit had to be crammed onto the small windowsill, or on top of the toilet. Also, Canal Street is so noisy, day and night. We had a terrible first night's sleep the first night, so bring ear plugs or sleeping pills!! All in all, we will stay elsewhere on our next visit to NYC.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kristen S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 28, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in early June 2014. I had a full room, which came with one double bed. It was very small, but I was travelling alone so this size was fine. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. There's an iron and small ironing board in a small closet, along with a safe. The walls were very thin - there was someone with a cold in the room next to me who I heard cough loudly all night long. I suggest bringing earplugs for the thin walls and the traffic noise (it's a budget-friendly hotel in NYC, you should expect traffic noise). The hotel is in a great location. I walked to a number a great restaurants and bars in the Tribeca area in about 10 minutes. It's also located next to great shopping on Broadway. The entrance to the Canal Street station is literally steps from the front door of the hotel, which was extremely helpful the day that I stepped out of the subway to discover it had started to rain on my way back to the hotel from Central Park. The front desk staff was courteous and gave me a map of the city and helped me with directions. If you're looking for a budget friendly place to stay in NYC in the Tribeca area, I'd definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Melissa B
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

At least once a year we visit NYC. Always stay in Chinatown. The Bleu is at the top of the middle hotels in price. On balance a good value.

Our upper floors were quiet. Completely redone 18 months ago. The room designs and workmanship are outstanding. Some rooms are smallish but the larger rooms are excellent.

We'll be back.

Easy access for cabs and the Subway. A short walk to Little Italy.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank K6KN
Stafford, VA
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

We have a tiny room on the 2nd floor. Strangely cut up, with a large bath, tiny sleeping area, and long, narrow passage between the two. The elevator is directly behind our heads, Canal St traffic going all night long out the window. We can hear every car horn, motor scooter--even conversation on the street with the windows closed.

Hotel staff has been very friendly and helpful.

Great location, very close to Subway and great SoHo shopping. Lots of restaurants in easy walking distance.

Just bring ear plugs!

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank featherfan72
Bydgoszcz
Reviewed June 10, 2014

What is most important about this hotel is its great location. Subway just at the Tribeca's door:). Broadway street with its hectic life just on the corner. Chinatown where we went for breakfast. The place itself is simple, with a lift and a vending machine in the basement. No breakfast served. The staff is helpful and kind. The room was really small, but clean. The bathroom quite small as well, but clean and modern ( the only thing that bothered me was the curtain at the shower.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank igitravel
montreal
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a not too expensive place, not fancy but very well located well this is the place for you! I was allowed to check in earlier as I had arrived 2 hours prior to check in! Once in the room I hated it, the air was stiff, room smelled funny and didn't feel very clean! Went to see concierge to tell him that I was not staying in the hotel and needed to find another place! House keeping manager came to see me and was very very nice and welling to please us! So he offered us another room on a higher floor ( it was executive king by the way) room felt much much cleaner, smelled better. What I don't like is that you can't control the air in your room so we had to call them every night to turn on the ax otherwise the air gets really stiff and uncomfortable! Overall great great service, friendly personnel, very comfortable beds and wonderful location if you want to be in the vibrant soho! If you are on a budget but still want to enjoy a clean friendly hotel go to this place

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank kathy o
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Small but clean rooms, good location, friendly person, excellent price / quality
Ideal location between central and battery parc, near the very nice neighborhood soho
Lots of street noise, but that's normal for New York, right?

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple