“Horrible hotel”
Review of SoHo Garden Hotel

SoHo Garden Hotel
Ranked #369 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 4, 2014

This hotel was one of the worst I have ever stayed in. The room was tiny even by NYC standards. The thermostat was set on 79 and could not be changed. I spent all night opening the window to cool off and then closing it when it got too cold. The room was so small that to open and close the window, I had to stand on the bed. They had taken something off the wall and just left the torn up wallpaper in place. My room was supposedly a deluxe and the rate was $350/night, but you can do better in NYC especially in Tribeca. Anyway spend a little more and stay somewhere that's not a hovel. See my photos and consider whether you really want to spend $400 (after taxes) on this place.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank byryr

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We enjoyed our time at this hotel. The hotel is very easy to find. We used the details on there website and found it with no problem at all. The location was excellent we thought. Canal street tube station is on the hotels door step and this seems to be quite a main hub with many connections etc. good position between uptown and downtown, which made both accessible fairly quickly. We went to a Brooklyn nets game at the Barkley Center one night, on the way back we got the train as usual, we managed to pick a trail(luckily) that went direct to canal street and did not stop at any other stops on route! This was excellent service. Again, this back up why I think canal street must be a main hub for trains.

On arrival, the reception staff were very welcoming. We arrived early and weren't sure if our room would be available but it was so we were very pleased about that. The room was tiny as I'm sure you know from the rest of the reviews. The bedroom is very very small, it done ok though. There was nowhere to leave our bags etc so we were constantly living out of our suitcases and tripping over our stuff, which is quite annoying but hey, it's NYC!,the bathroom was adequate size- no complaints, it was small but had everything that you need and we could use everything comfortably. The room was very clean, no complaints at all.

The reception was manned 24 hrs and day and felt secure. We happily left our valuables in the hotel. We have been to other places before and would have a lot of trust in places. We stayed on the 3rd floor (I think) our room looked out on to canal street and there was not much notice heard from the street. We had excellent nights sleep.

Check out with the hotel went smoothly too, the staff were lovely. There were very nice and helped us out with maps / directions when we were leaving to go out each day.

The hotel is right beside china town - outside the hotel to the right about 500m. Soho is also a couple of blocks in front of the hotel which was ok for some shopping.

Hopefully, I return to NYC in the future and if I do I would most definitely book this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Yes canal street is noisy . I stayed on second floor and then fifth - higher definitely better. But with earplugs not a problem. The heating is strange and it's hot but we left our window open during the day and if the bathroom has a window that at night as well. We had a twin and there was a small wardrobe and we had two big cases open as well. Beds really comfy and bedding good. Perfect location to walk to soho , little Italy, Chinatown and financial district ( century 21 ). Seven 11 round corner for essentials and lots of other delis etc nearby. We asked re the airport and they were upfront re the car being more expensive but you get a local driver who avoids rush hour main routes . We got to jfk peak rush hour in under an hour. Overall we would thoroughly recommend.

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank anniegirlie
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I can not believe this hotel has 3 stars. We had the smallest and most expensive hotel we have ever had in NY. There is no place for your clothes and no room on the floor for an open suitcase. How can that be called a deluxe room? The cleaning during our stay was non-existing. Only positive thing about this hotel is the location.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter_Pia
Reviewed November 7, 2013

TriBeCa Blu is a no-fuss hotel on Canal street. So not having room service, a mini-fridge, or cable didn't bother me. The rooms are tiny as well, but it was just me so that wasn't the end of the world.

The disconcerting incidents came when I learned that they regulate the air temperature and you can't adjust it. It was set at 77 in November which was very warm. The room did have a window, which I had to open for air flow, but then I heard the street noise all night.

The tipping point was when I called down for a taxi to the airport and the clerk said they charge a $25 fee to call a car. That and they charge 20% extra if you want to pay by credit card.

How ludicrous. I won't stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank thirstytraveler84
Reviewed October 31, 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed October 31, 2013

You know that when the hotel has earplugs with the hotelname on, ther is som noise in the room. All rooms front Canal street, which is noisy 24/7. Either sleep in the noise or bring/ask for earplugs.

The noisy street als means the location is interesting on the corner of Canal street/Broadway. Close to chinatown and little Italy and also walking dintance to downtown Manhatten and Soho. Metrostation is right outside the door.

The room was not spacious, but clean. Main problem was noise. Tha halls outside the room, need som maintanance.

Service was for the mort part very friendly. It's a small hotel, With only one in the reception most of the time. One of the 3-4 different People we met working at the reception, was not very friendly or helpful. A pity.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple