“Very pleased indeed” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #372 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very pleased indeed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

I have just stayed at the TriBeCa Blu for 7 nights (23rd-30th) with my partner. The hotel is conveniently located on the south side of Canal street (so JUST touching TriBeCa, but it's really on the edge of China Town). It has one of the main subway stations within easy reach with the 6, N, Q R trains available, so the location was brilliant for us. There are also two lifts (elevators) to the subways, which was great for me as my leg isn't the best.

I didn't feel unsafe at all in China town. There are plenty of people flogging knock off gear but there are also plenty of cops about.

Although the hotel is Lower Manhattan rather than Midtown, Manhattan is so dense that you're basically still in the thick of it (which we loved), so earplugs are recommended if you're a light sleeper. It was also nice to get away from some of the tourists and we really felt like New Yorkers for a few days.

We stayed in room 704, had a view of Canal Street and were really happy with it. The room is quite small, with a private bathroom (bath and shower), a small wardrobe, a desk and a flat screen TV. It has extras such as HD channels for free and free Wifi (a rarity in Manhattan!). Saying that the room is small, when I actually compared the square footage with the average hotel room in Manhattan, it actually works out as above average .The room looked like a premier inn and was bright, clean and the bed was extremely comfortable.The housekeeping service was excellent. My only small gripe was that the air conditioning was on a pre-set temperature and we would have liked it a little lower. Hardly a big deal though.

The lobby was bright and modern, with complimentary ipad use, comfy chairs and what looks like a bar in the making. I was also really happy with the staff. They were very friendly and helpful and even let us keep our luggage in a room after check out, so we could carry on enjoying the city on our departure day.

I got a bargain and only paid £700 approx for the week including tax (hotel sale) but I would have paid more. I would definitely stay here again and I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

Room Tip: Choose the higher floors-less noise with a great view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JoseUrracaGM, Guest Relations Manager at SoHo Garden Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
We are very pleased that you loved your stay here at TriBeCa Blu Hotel. We are at the best or one of the best locations when it comes to getting around the big apple surrounded by SoHo, TriBeCa, Little Italy and Chinatown make us special because we are only walking distance away. We really hope to see you soon on your next stay here in New York City with hopes that you Choose TriBeCa Blu Hotel to feel right at home.

Brian Urraca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Polish first
Denver, CO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night, which is fortunate because I don't think I could have handled more. First, the hotel is in a pretty bad part of town, and it just doesn't feel safe at all. Not that NYC is a safe place in general, but this location felt especially bad.

Checking in, the only staff member there asked me to hold on a minute, while they got their system up. I was the only one there and it was 10PM when I checked in, yet this took several minutes. Not a great start.

I got to my room, and immediately smelled something funky, which was either a skunk or someone smoking pot in one of the adjacent rooms. Immediately noticed the walls were super thin, as I could hear everything in the rooms next to me, as well as the loud jackhammering going on outside on the street. The windows clearly aren't much better. Plus, the room is very small, barely giving me enough room to move. I had to iron some clothes for the next day, and they give you the tiniest ironing board I've ever seen (because the room isn't big enough to use a normal sized one), which just barely did the job.

The air conditioning was either not working or doesn't function properly, because no matter how low I set the temperature, I couldn't get it to budge down from about 75 degrees, which is too warm for me. When I stepped in the bathroom, the floor cracked beneath me (I'm only 180 pounds folks) and felt soft like there was some give to it. I wouldn't say I felt I was going to fall through, but it did worry me a little.

The only thing I actually enjoyed about the room was the TV, which was a nice HD flatscreen. But, this still did not make up for the shortcomings I found in other areas of the room.

Overall, I would not choose to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank sidenine
JoseUrracaGM, Guest Relations Manager at SoHo Garden Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Hello, we truly apologize for any inconvenience your stay here at TriBeCa Blu may have caused you. As, a fairly new hotel here in New York City we only want to be the best we can be and insuring that our guests feel just at home. With one of the best locations in NYC we have great plans to be much better and more welcoming. We do hope you give us another try in the near future on your next stay to NYC.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Maple Valley, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel is on a very busy street so bring yor earplugs. My 14 year old daughter and I felt safe traveling alone on the street and even up into little Italy which was a few blocks up.
We had a room that had a curved wall so it was huge (by NYC standards). The hallway was long and the bathroom was very large. Simple stand up shower, tile floor, small desk, nightstand, and small cabinet to hang clothes in. We had several very large windows that allowed light in and the room temp was just right. The bed was very clean and surprisingly comfortable. The bed had higher end linens and was soft.
It's a good distance from the common sights of NYC but the subway is right outside the front door of the hotel, so within 15 minutes we would be in the upper east side. The reception desk was very friendly and helpful. They helped us find dinner at 11pm on numerous nights. There is a a ton of knock off vendors next door to the hotel which is entertertaining and makes shopping for gifts easy.
The only reason I gave this hotel a 4 star instead of 5 is that my in room safe was broken. I notified the front desk 4 times and they sent up 3 people on 3 different times to have a look. They replaced it on the night before my departure but it should have been done sooner.

Room Tip: Pick the room that has the curved hallway built into the room on the 2nd floor. It's huge!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Gogoeverywhere
How exciting to hear that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay here at TriBeca Blu Hotel. This neighborhood is a very safe place to just go out for a stroll or just walk out the door to the nearest train station to take you to your destination. Our Housekeeping team really does a great job in maintaining the rooms very clean for our guest to enjoy and feel at home. We really hope to see you soon on your next visit to New York City.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

Would give it 5 stars but rooms were pretty small but found very comfortable with the giant windows I had. Bathroom was nice and large though. Loved the location as can catch a variety of subways lines nearby. Not a huge amount of restaurants in immediate area but a short walk over to West Broadway solved that issue. Have to check out restaurant Lucky Strike.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
We are truly happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay here at TriBeCa Blu Hotel. One of our best assets is our location because of our large variety of subway lines making it easy to travel along the city as you have stated. We do hope that you come back to stay with us in the near future.

Forestdale, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

You MUST understand this hotel is on a very loud, busy intersection. I sleep soundly so that didn't bother me in the least. Reception desk ppl friendly, helpful, courteous. I was told the room I had booked online was not available at check-in and that I would be discounted 10%, placed in a room with a King bed for 1 night and then would have to change rooms for the next 2 nights. In fact, I stayed in the King room for all 3 nights. Adorable origami type animals on the bed made with wash cloths a nice touch. N-R-Q subway right out the door and A-C-E subway a few blocks away. Easy access to Canal St shopping, Greenwich Village, Chinatown, Little Italy. One quirky thing is you cannot control the room temp. I had to call the front desk daily to c/o about how warm the room was & they adjusted it. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BGA14
We are excited that you have found TriBeCa Blu to meet your standards. We do make sure that we accommodate the guest’s needs to the best of our potential and it has been a great success to this point. Location is one of the best in New York City followed by great shopping and great city life. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

I wasn't very happy with Tribeca Blu when I arrived - the corner it's located on is extemely busy and stressful with numerous people trying to sell cheap fake bags, watches etc. The two reception people were unfriendly and made us feel unwelcome. And then our room was absolutely tiny, and hot (they control the heat/air con centrally) with a 'full' bed - for non-US people, note this is a small bed deemed appropriate for two people. And street noise was extremely loud.

But on the plus side, the wifi worked, it was very clean, the bed was surprisingly comfortable, the shower was good, and it was a nice short walk from nicer parts of town. And it was cheaper than most other hotels we found. So it can have 3 stars. But I wouldn't stay there again...

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank ms_scotsgirl
We truly apologize for the experience you had here at TriBeCa Blu Hotel. There are internal issues we will take into consideration and will do our best to improving them. We are glad that you indeed liked the service in our housekeeping department which is one of our best asset as well as the complimentary WiFi here at TriBeCa Blu Hotel. We do hope that you do consider in staying with us in the future for a second stay to make your experience a better one.

Akron, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

As business traveller, I frequent a few hotels in New York. During my last visit to New York, I stayed at The Tribeca Blu Hotel, which I found online. It seemed like a new hotel with fun features. I booked it for 1 night. When I arrived, I was greeted by a very unfriendly person in the reception. No eye contact from him. He was chewing gum up at my face and it was insulting. I was given a room on the second floor, which was tiny and did not have a closet. I asked the reception for another room and their answer was, we are soldout for the next 2 days, I am sorry. That added insult to injury. I came back from a dinner that night and the air conditioning did not seem to work. I called the reception and they informed me that there was no engineer and it is an ongoing issue. I could not get any sleep. When I checked out in the morning, I asked to speak to the hotel manager. The reception told me that he was busy in a staff meeting and that he had a busy morning. Here I am a guest and I paid $250 for the night and the manager could not even see me! This is unheard off. I paid such a high rate for rude customer service, a room that was uncomfortable preventing me from sleeping and to add the icing on the cake, the manager did not even have time to see me, a guest. Shameful! Well, I know better never to book a hotel such as The Tribeca Blu ever again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Mills J
We strongly do apologize for the service that you have received at TriBeCa Blu although highly unusual these issues will be addressed and improved. As being one of the newest hotels in New York City we do take these comments into consideration and truly are working on improving these issues as stated and we do hope you consider giving TriBeCa Blu Hotel a second in making your stay a pleasant one.