“Noisy but beautiful”

Soho House New York
Ranked #325 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Gorgeous hotel. The bar and restaurant are fantastic, cocktails wonderful, tasty breakfast. Beautiful rooms, clean, stunning and comfortable. Rooftop pool great. Location fantastic, really buzzy lively district with lots of great restaurants and bars. Downside - very noisy at night. New Yorker's seem to continuously honk the horns of the cars regardless of what time it is so most nights we were kept up by noise from outside. Very annoying when you have paid a lot of money for a hotel. I presume the windows were not sound proofed.
Service was generally great but with a few issues i.e. I stayed there for my 21st and my parents had arranged a bottle of champagne to be waiting in the room - no. My hairdryer broke and I had to request a replacement three times before it arrived. When we tried to question the noise levels at night we were told there was nothing they could do, basically to grin and bear it.
Overall it was fantastic but there are a few issues that need to be ironed out I think.

Room Tip: To the back of the hotel, try not to overlook the roads
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Katie L
PDourneau, General Manager at Soho House New York, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear Katie,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I would like to assure you that we do not take your service and noise complaints lightly and I will be sure to relay your concerns to our staff. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly in future.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Pierre Dourneau,

Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed here as a special treat for the last night of our holiday in New York, the idea was to spoil ourselves for one evening. It was a Friday night, so the hotel was busy, but generally our experience was good, unfortunately only marred but the noise pollution.

The Good Points
- The staff are excellent, polite, friendly, helpful - you can't ask for much more, you're generally treated like royalty during your stay.
- Our room (on the recently refurbished 3rd floor) was beautiful, a huge bed, very modern fittings including a fantastic shower and roll top bath. Lots of mod cons - Ipod Dock, large flat screen tv, well stocked toiletries and mini-bar.
- The restaurant / bar on the 6th floor had a lovely feel to it, ample staff and well fitted out. The food was reasonably priced (mains around $20) and was served very promptly.

The Bad
- We were told on arrival that our room had recently been refurbished, however it's almost inconceivable that no one considered the location when refitting the windows, the noise from outside the room all night was pretty unbearable and kept us awake until around 4.30am. I know, I know, what should I have expected? We were there on a Friday night, the location is near loads of restaurants and bars, of course it's going to be noisy. But, the real nightmare was the large queue of taxis on the street outside our room honking their horns for hours on end (something that is gladly illegal in the UK!). It got so bad that it was almost comical. I know this is not the fault of the hotel, but if they are reading this I would strongly recommend fitting some decent double glazed windows to counteract the racket, surely this is advisable!

I guess that a lot of people use this hotel for it's position and go out all night in the surrounding area, so by the time they get back to their rooms it's already really late and the noise isn't such an issue. But, if like us, you want to spend time in the room when you've spent so much on it, then the noise will bother you for sure. I can't speak for what it's like on weekdays, but give this a miss on a weekend.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ChrisAmablin82
PDourneau, General Manager at Soho House New York, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your post. I am truly sorry about your most recent Soho House NY experience. I take feedback like this very seriously and will be sharing it with the rest of my management team. That said, our front desk is available 24 hours a day to look into any noise complaints you may have.

I look forward to welcoming you back and please let me know if I can be of assistance with any future arrangements.

Pierre Dourneau

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Arriving off a long flight from the UK I was pleased to discover I'd been given a free upgrade to an excellent 'big' room which was bigger than the apartment i used to rent in new york. A very comfy and funky room, friendly staff, a great bar, superb location and great choice of foods at breakfast. Highly recommended

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2012

A group of 6 of us stayed at Soho House New York in May 2012 for a long weekend and I think it is safe to say you definitely get what you pay for!
Yes it is not cheap but the service was outstanding, the rooms were amazing and as for the power shower and cowshed toiletries...I could have stayed in the room for the whole weekend!
Breakfast was a buffet (complete with proper New York bagels!) and was excellent. Staff were always happy to help with directions and dinner reservations.
The rooftop pool is fab and made us feel very SATC.
If I could stay here everytime I come to New York I most definitely would! I will be saving for the next trip.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Claire E
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Nothing much to say about the Soho House... Everything was absolutely amazing from the warm welcome by Pia to the quality of the amenities, comfort of the mattress, atmosphere of the rooftop bar.
The room was the most original and beautiful ever with a gorgeous bathtub in front of the football-field-sized bed, powerful Bose sound system and funky amenities.
Breakfast was an experience and the candy lover that I am loved the candy bar of course.
I would eventually recommend extending the restaurant menu as after 3 meals there, I felt like I knew everything already and was not excited to try anything else, despite the delicious dishes served.
I don't even know why people would go anywhere else than in this "house"!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed at Soho house earlier this year and i must say that for the price i was extremely disappointed. Especially with the room that we had on the library level - it was extremely small and cramped, definitely not what I was expecting from a Soho House.

The staff is very helpful and did recommend some great places to eat out, they were also sure to check we were members each time we entered the premises.

Breakfast is average, nothing special on that side. Sleep quality - make sure you bring yourself some ear plugs because you can hear people walking in and out of the elevators all night and helping down the corridor.

I wouldn't stay in this Soho house again, it would be good to obtain membership if we lived in nyc for a few reasons, its really nothing special though.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a room next to an elevator, you'll never sleep.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
PDourneau, General Manager at Soho House New York, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Thank you for your feedback as we are always striving to improve the service at Soho House NY. The Meatpacking District is a trendy area featuring night clubs that are very popular with hotel guests and members alike. That said, our front desk is available 24 hours a day to look into any noise complaints you may have.

I hope you had the opportunity to unwind by our rooftop pool or retreat to the Cowshed Spa where we feature a wide range of body care and beauty treatments. In addition to our Continental breakfast spread, our full breakfast menu is available to order, so I hope you will reconsider joining us for a meal.

Once again, we are grateful for any suggestions you may have. Please don't hesitate to contact me as we look forward to welcoming you back.

Pierre Dourneau

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I was a guest of a member of Soho House NYC club. As a result, I enjoyed the benefits of well mixed drinks on the uber cool rooftop deck on a hopping evening in the Meatpacking district. A very memorable experience, and one I relished, and will relish in memory.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo