“It was great...”

Ranked #307 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Barcelona
“It was great...”
Reviewed October 6, 2007

The staff were incredible. The room was the best I've ever had in New York, and given the price - try to compare in lower manhattan - how can you complain?

• Liked — room; staff
  • Disliked — club members
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Cambridge, MA
Reviewed September 10, 2007

We spent a great night at the Soho House, and we fell in love with the rooftop pool and cafe. The pool itself is very small -- but there weren't too many people actually swimming in it (and we saw only one person get their hair wet). No, this is a place to enjoy the view of river and skyline, to sip cocktails (ordered from the efficient wait staff) and to have a delicious lunch. The chic crowd made me feel a little frumpy, but the attitude quotient was low for a place this trendy, so we had a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon.

Our room was pleasant, too, though less special. Our room (one of the smaller ones) was still quite spacious, though that's partly because there's no separate bathroom. Sink, tub and shower stall are all in the main room. (There's a small closet for the toilet.) I think I might find that wearing during a long stay, when I might want to catch a few extra minutes sleep while my husband is showering.

Other positives: The bed was extremely comfortable. Service in general was friendly and helpful. Free wireless service. Room is supplied with a few DVD's, in case you have a late-night urge to watch a movie. Location in the Meatpacking district, especially if you're into clubbing.

Negatives: The controls for AV system were impossible to decipher. I don't think there was an iPod dock -- strange for a place this up to date. Uncomfortable chairs that are too small for the accompanying table. The "black hole" between the huge credenza and the wall: easy to knock jewelry into it, much harder to retrieve it.

Would I come back here in the winter, when the pool is closed? Maybe not, but I know I'll be back next summer.

• Liked — Roof deck
  • Disliked — Odd design choices in the room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank booksma30
Portsmouth
Reviewed September 3, 2007

Just got back from a weekend at this hotel. It was a 15th anniversary treat and after reading a few reviews I was a bit worried to be honest. Fortunately the whole experience was excellent from start to finnish.
All of the staff were friendly and polite and went out of their way to help despite the fact that they were busy. The front desk and concierge are worth there weight in gold and seem to have some kudos within the local area with regards to restaurant reservations and entry to clubs.

The room booked was the playpen, one of the smaller rooms, but still very spacious nicely designed, well appointed and with some really good touches. You get to use all of their spa products for free and the beds are excellent. The room was on the 5th floor overlooking the main street, but you could hardly here a thing, we had a small amount of noise from a bar a few floors above, but this stopped promptly at midnight. My only slight gripe about the room was the overly complicated remote controls for the plasma and surround sound, which we eventually sussed. The shower was probably the most powerful I've ever experienced, fully capable of seperating skin from flesh, which was quite apt being in the Meat Packing District.

The hotel facilities are excellent, with the jewel in the crown of course being the roof top pool area and bar. Despite the super chic using this area, it didn't fell clicky and was an inviting place to be. We actually met people that had been in New York all weekend and hardly left the bulding. There is an excellent spa facility in the hotel and I thoroughly recomend the fully body massage....seriously fell asleep at the end of it.

The main bar and club room, were hardly used whilst we were there, but I can imagine them being busy during the winter months. We didnt get a chance to check out the cinema or library, so cant reallycomment.

As for the location of the hotel. Its right in the centre of the Meat Packing District (MPD) which is supposed to be the new place to be for trendy media types. The street itself has quite a few restaurants and bars, with lots of trendy shops, bars and clubs in the area. My recomendations are Spice Market and Pastis.

Final tip, get to the pool early as it can get busy.

• Liked — Designer accomodation at affordable prices in a wonderful location with excellent facilities
  • Disliked — Overly complicated in room entertainment facility
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jervinator
London
Reviewed May 31, 2007

Myself and a couple of friends decided to go on a shopping trip to New York. We thought it best to take advantage of the exchange rate. I looked for a hotel on Mr & Mrs Smith. We have used them a few of times before, and have always been really pleased with the hotels they recommend – definitely a brand that you can trust for quality. Plus, as a Smith member benefit we received complimentary cowshed products from the hotel, which are really amazing, such a treat!

We had a great time in New York and Soho House was exactly as I imagined; the service was impeccable and the hotel was so chic. We loved the rooftop pool as well, it was just how I remember it from Sex & the City! The hotel is located in downtown so its ideally situated for getting around the city. The staff recommended how best to use our time and helped with theatre bookings and restaurant recommendations.

A pleasure from booking the trip right to flight back, I’ve still got some of my free gift left for when I feel like really pampering myself.

Stayed May 2007
5 Thank lovestofly76
London, UK
Reviewed May 4, 2007

I was recommended to try the Soho House Hotel for a recent short stay in NYC and what a big mistake.

The staff have just no idea. Booked us a run-down van for our airport transfers, offered us a room with space for five hangers, knowing we were travelling for two weeks etc etc. On top of this the staff were extremely snooty and tried to play this intricate game of "Let's-play-that-we-are-equal-although-I-know-that-I-am-far-more-important-than-you" game.

Furthermore, the room that we finally settled into was terribly run down. Although there was a stale smell of paint in the room throughout our stay we never saw any newly-painted walls not to mention the furniture with serious nicks and marks.

Enquiring at the front desk, I was told that club members never stayed with them any longer - no wonder. Neither will I.

• Liked — The minibar
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Kozmoman
London
Reviewed May 2, 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed at Soho House for 3 nights just over a month ago. In short, our stay was incredible.

I wanted a special hotel for our visit to New York, as I was planning to propose to my girlfriend whilst away. I contacted a number of hotels, including the Mercer and the Gansevoort, and decide that Soho House was the best option.

The reason for this decision was that I not only loved the look of the rooms and location of the hotel but was very impressed by the manner in which the hotel was happy to help me with my plans, so to ensure that my proposal was as special as possible.

On the first night we stayed in a Playroom, which was very cool (the photos on the website don't do it justice).

On our second day I aranged for my girlfriend to have some spa treatments during the afternoon (including a manicure). Whilst she was in the spa, the hotel staff helped me move our luggae into a Playground room. This room was amazing. It is over 1000 sq ft of urban chic/cool. We (being me and the hugely helpful hotel staff) set the room up with 50+ candles etc and set the scene for my proposal.

When my girlfriend had finished having her treatment, Bryony (one of the managers at Soho House, and my partner in crime in arranging the whole set-up) told her that our room had experienced a leak and that we had been moved into another room. She then led her through to the room and from there the proposal went perfectly (she said yes by the way).

In addition to all of the above the hotel staff (particularly Michael) were incredible in making all our reservations for us during our stay. Nothing was too much trouble and nothing seemed to be a problem.

We have stayed at some remarkable hotels before, particularly Cliveden and Le Manoir in the UK, but this hotel is by far and away our favourite. The rooms, location, bar and spa are special enough, but once you combine that with the service we received you could not ask for more. I would recommend this to anybody that wants to embrace down-town New York and will be forever grateful to Bryony and her team for everything they did to make our stay so perfect.

• Liked — Everything - the service was particularly spectacular
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Dylan23
London/ Singapore/ Yangon
Reviewed April 12, 2007

I stayed at Soho House just before christmas.
Arrived way ahead of check-in but they were able to provide us with our room at 10am.
Booked a playroom and they upgraded us to a playground which was alot of fun.
The front desk asked if they could arrange anything for us, if we'd like to plan to go out that night...very helpful indeed.
The restuarant is fabulous and very chilled place to relax in the midst of the buzzing city.
The cowshed spa was amazing and the entire hotel smelt heavenly.
The staff are very professional and helpful yet not pushy- which I really appreciate.
The hotel is next door to Pastis, Markt and the Spice Market. All great understated restaurants. I knowa few reviewers have thought Soho House as being pretentious and the whole 'do u know who i am' syndrome of its patrons. I really didn't witness any or feel this from anyone- the hotel or its guests.
I am going back in June and really looking forward to it as i'm taking alot of friends with me.
If you are reading this and wondering whether u should stay here or not- Please ignore the bad reviews and go for it. It is a great little gem in the city and shouldn't be missed. It is expensive- but worth it. In New York I have stayed at sixty thompson (great location- and Kittichai restaurant is great), The gansevoort (a little tacky -but adequate -It is also almost opposite Soho House) and the Mandarin Oriental (amazing views & service) and have to say Soho House comes out on top in my opinion- for location, comfort, service, & it's quirky yet chic style. It ticks all the boxes. You get a bit of everything- and its packaged beautifully. My sister struggled to tear herself away from Soho House during our stay- it has that effect- its like a home away from home. You're just so comfortable and have everything there. I'm looking forward to using the pool during my next trip.This place is just unique.
Enjoy!