“Great price and great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast

Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #33 of 80 New York City B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“Great price and great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We spent 3 nights at the beginning of July and we had a great time. Our room had a shared bathroom and was located on the 4th floor. We have found everything nice, clean and comfortable. The location is also great, a few steps from Central Park and close to the subway. All considered (cost of the room, location, cool old building) it is a great deal, and we would surely go back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ScienCat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
San Antonio, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

My friend and I stayed the night in the Lorraine which is on the 4th floor of this lovely brownstone. Located in a safe and secure neighborhood, close to Central Park and subway (96th Street); it's an ideal place to lay your head at night. Robin was extremely kind, espescially when we didn't have a reservation. He was able to accomodate us on short notice, even carrying our bags three flights up. I highly recommend staying here. Another check mark off my dream list of being able to experience what it's like to live in a brownstone in New York City! I can't wait to go back & I will definately be staying at Stay the Night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sarahs_Trips
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed in the McKenzie Suite which was on the 4th floor. It was an actual New York 1 bedroom apartment with kitchen, refrigerator, microwave, stove, dishwasher, toaster, dishes, silverware, glasses, cups, just everything you would need for your stay. We truly loved the neighborhood on the upper East Side right by Central Park. We stayed for 3 days and wanted to be away from the hustle and bustle of Times Square and other tourist attractions. Everything was just a cab or subway ride away. While the Stay the Night is old, that is what attracted us to it. If you want modern and all the amenities that come with staying in a hotel, then stay at a hotel. We knew we were going to be on the 4th floor with no elevator, but those stairs are really steep. Robin said he would put in an elevator right after we left!!! Ha, Ha! He was just joking of course, but seriously we enjoyed our stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank crazy4mel1
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I spoke to Robin at Stay the Night a week prior to my wife and I's visit to NYC to see an off-broadway show for her birthday and was offered the Barnes Suite. I provided my credit card number and was told I could not arrive for check-in until after 4 pm the day of our stay. We planned accordingly and spent the day touring the city. Upon arrival at 5 pm, we were told that our room was already occupied, that Robin had no record of our reservation or conversation, and all other rooms had been booked months in advance. Due to the 'mix up' and our show being only a couple hours away, we were forced to pay double our budgeted rate at the only hotel we could find (via smartphone) with availability. The last-minute forced change of plans lead to us arriving 20 minutes late to our show.

I would highly recommend any traveler booking with Stay the Night to require Robin to provide you with a confirmation number or email to formalize your reservation. I overlooked this step because of the seemingly intimate and casual approach to the reservation process when I spoke to Robin over the phone. I'm not sure if anyone else deals with reservations, but it appeared to be a one-man shop which suffers a bit from a lack of organization.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank Derek C
Robin H, Manager at Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
I never heard of this guy. I searched for a record of any conversation with him when he showed up- I never received an email or phone call from him, never received any of his credit card information, nothing, The guy just showed up out of the blue demanding a room that had been booked for months prior to someone else. Our reservation process is very thorough. Upon requesting a room, we place a temporary hold on the room until we receive the credit card information. We then send a copy of the bill to the Guest for them to look over, at which point (and not before) the reservation is set. Two weeks prior to their stay, we send a confirmation email to ensure that everything is going ahead as planned. In the event that I never receive the credit card information, I make several attempts to contact the guest before I cancel the hold on thed room. This guy simply never made a reservation with us.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

I booked a staycation here a few years ago and it was adequate. The room was dark and slightly shabby, but it was spacious and had everything we needed.

Pros
- Spacious
- Safe and quiet neighborhood
- Large window with view into the garden

Cons
- Furniture was somewhat shabby and slightly musty
- Broken tiles in bathroom and didn't feel very clean
- At night the room is very dark. The lighting is very low.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I just stayed the weekend here with my daughter and a friend. We absolutely loved it. Friendly and accommodating people, superb location, and rooms that exude character. If you need sterile, sound proof accommodations this is not for you. But I will be back again.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Krc320
Stowe, VT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

I cannot recommend this place highly enough. The guest rooms are nice, and the suites are spacious and fully equipped wigth fridge, microwave. kettle, iron, t.v., clock, telephone.

You can't do any better for those prices in Carnegie Hill.

Room Tip: The suites are great.