“Very basic don't bother”

and 1 more site!
Woogo - Central Park
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Although cheaper than our other hotels in NYC this place is Spartan only stay here if you really can't afford elsewhere. Room a good size but giant old TV right next to our bed almost in the bed with us and no remote! Broken lamp broken blinds needs some desperate renos and the receptionist didn't even welcome us on arrival and didn't seem to know much about anything! No hairdryer and dryers for clothes cost $10 they also charged us $5 per bag to hold onto our bags the day we checked out which is normally for free! I strongly recommend paying $50-80 more a night coz this place is a hole.

• Stayed: June 2011

Reviewed June 12, 2011

Myself, my girlfriend and five of our friends stayed here in march. you get what you pay for in life.Our apt was warm, clean and its in a great location. We stayed in a three bed apt and we had plenty of room, I agree that service was only average but who cares its NYC, all you need is a place to put your head at night. I WILL BE BACK!!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank deadlydan
Reviewed June 8, 2011

Below is a list of problems (all documented with photos!) with the Woogo apartment we rented in Chelsea in Manhattan. It shows blatant disregard of the apartment's functionality, upkeep, and even potentially, resident safety:

* The tub filled up with putrid water and did not drain after use. In addition, there appeared to be no overflow cap at the rear of the tub, instead an unfinished and unattractive and vacant hole was present.
* The towel bar in the full bath appeared to have been broken off - the cleats were present, but no bar.
* The door to the bedroom nearest the front door was held on by only one of three sets of hinges. The other two sets of hinges were hanging loose and no longer attached to the door jam.
* The toilet seat in the half bath was cracked completely through. One person in our party received a painful pinch and was actually bruised when she sat on it, because her weight caused the gap in the wood to open, which then closed on her skin when she shifted her weight!
* Exposed electrical wires were dangling beneath the cabinetry at three different locations in the kitchen where under-counter lighting should have been or perhaps was intended for future installation. In two out of three instances the wires were capped, but the third had none. I am hopeful that these were not "live" wires, but I was not about to touch them to find out!
* Instead of an overhead light in the bedroom closest to the front door, there was a hole and more exposed and capped wires where a ceiling light should have been or perhaps once was.
* The apartment had areas of significant wear and tear beyond that which would be considered acceptable for an accommodation of this price. Paint was flaking off in large areas around pull areas of closet doors. Numerous scuff marks were present in every room and the place appeared to be in great need of fresh paint.
* The closet that contained the heating/cooling machinery was in a closet in a bedroom and not only was unlocked/accessible, but had the remnants of where a latch/lock formerly had been but had fallen or been broken off.

The accommodations were so unacceptable that we had to leave after 1 night because they did not even satisfy our very basic needs (i.e., functional shower), and furthermore the entire process usurped at least 4 hours of our first morning in NYC as we negotiated with staff and looked for last-minute accommodation elsewhere. Disastrous!

Insult to injury - they still charged us the full rate for our 1 nite stay AND are adding an additional cancellation fee equivalent to a 2nd nite stay (over $1200 total!). We are in the process of refuting this but have not had any success yet!!

These guys are crooks!

Room Tip: don't stay here!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank JordieB
Reviewed May 27, 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights. The location was perfect for what i needed, very close to the subway as well (also the express line). The service was ok, but the room was not so good. The small bathroom smelled like mold (and there was some on the walls indeed). The room door looked unsafe, anybody could have opened that by just nudging a little bit. I know that hotels in NY are generally bad, but this one can do better for sure.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Razvan007
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Beware of Woogo!
My wife and I were recently on vacation in New York City. Our accommodations were handled by ‘woogo’ (www.woogo.com) through Priceline. I hope no one else has to experience what we did at the hands of Woogo. Please, stay away from this company!
Here is the timeline and experience: It will tell our side of the story, which woogo.com Carlos and their account manager already know. I can’t believe this has taken so long to correct.
April 9th, Priceline.com reserves us an apartment in New York City; the booking states: “The apartment will have a key for the front door for independent access to the building for the rest of the stay”. We book it.
When we arrive and buzz, the young lady at the buzzer says “you won’t need a key; we’ll buzz you in remotely.” She assured us that this service was available 24/7, so although we didn’t like it, we didn’t have a choice.
Trouble began the second night. Sometime after midnight we returned after having seen “Memphis” on Broadway (by the way: great show). Unfortunately, we had no idea what was in store for us upon our return. We pressed the now familiar buzzer… but nobody was there. Maybe the person was napping, we thought. And we buzzed again... and again... and again…
Next we called the contact number my wife had stored in her phone: 212-616-8497. Verizon told us the number was not in service. Uh oh...
On the wall of the foyer was “in emergency call …the building super.” Of course, he did not pick up. But his phone had a recording which said, leave your number. So I did. Eventually he called back, but said that he was in Brooklyn and wasn’t going to come up to the upper west side to let in a couple of tourists. His responsibility was to the building, not the renting agent. But he did give us good advice: buzz every apartment in the place, and somebody might let you in.
Sure enough, after buzzing the people who live there, and pleading with one woman who actually answered the intercom, someone let us into the building. The apartment itself had a keypad entry, so we were in.
The next morning, we tried both the buzzer and the 212-616-8497 number, just to see what had happened the night before. Was their 24/7 pledge really a “get home by midnight or else” rule? No answer on the buzzer, and the phone was still disconnected. Apparently it just didn’t work.
Call to Priceline: we need a place to stay! They tried reaching woogo.com also, but the phone was just as disconnected for Priceline as it was for us. They found us a new place, but because we were at the mercy of the market on a big vacation week, we paid about double for a replacement hotel room. Priceline said they’d work out the details with woogo.com. We’re still waiting for this to happen.
So here we are a month later, and woogo.com has charged us for three nights, when they only let us in for one night. When I call I get left on hold. When I spoke to the reservations manager, he promised a call back but never did; my return call the next day to the account manager resulted in a 15 minute on hold, before I finally understood the hint and bailed out. They all give the same tired line “I don’t know about this, let me put you on hold to discuss with the next guy in line”.
For Priceline: if you can’t screen out shady operators like woogo.com, why should we ever place our trust in you again?
Anyone else, if you see a reservation handled by woogo.com, run -don’t walk- away. They’re scammers; incompetent at managing hospitality, and dishonest once they have your money. Don’t let this happen to you!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank agtemp2
Reviewed May 14, 2011

It turns out (after getting glares from the actual tenants who live in this building) that tourists are not only unwelcome here, but being put into these rooms ILLEGALLY. In other words, the city could come in and shut down the illegal hotel at any minute and put all of the paying tourists out on the street. What then? Not to mention that it turned out the nasty glares we were getting from the residents were because the landlords had evicted low income elderly tenants in order to illegally rent their homes out to people like us, paying lots more money. The whole thing is a nasty, dirty scam that made me feel really badly that I helped reward these awful people for breaking the law and breaking up families.

And there there were the prostitutes doing "business" out of the rooms there. The police showed up three times in one night just trying to shut them down. It was scary and awful and made me feel like I had wasted my money here.

What may once have been nice floors are now warped and dirty. You can actually see the food ground into the split seams on the floor. Its disgusting. And as others have mentioned, the couches are beyond filthy. Once I found out about the prostitutes, I started wondering if that's what made these couches so stained and disgusting.

Definitely stay somewhere else. ANYWHERE else.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sunnyjell
Reviewed March 27, 2011

Im a 26yr old male that has been to nyc many times. As soon i arrived there were problems. The front desk was extremely rude. It took 2 HOURS for my room to be ready (i arrived at 5pm). Then we got our room and they literally stuck a bed and a bathroom in a closet and called it a studio. The place was filthy, all the furniture was messed up and old. Seriously messed up my little getaway with my fiance. Thi splace is a total dump and anything you want including the smallest things like a simple room cleaning will cost you a min of 50.00usd. Trust me just go to a hotel with a more creditable name. Dont even both trying to call there main office , there even more rude and place you on hold for atleast a half hour before you speak to the manager. Hell in nyc should be the name.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple