“Think TWICE!”

American Girl Place - New York
Ranked #30 of 863 Shopping in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: In addition to its vast selection of dolls, including a create-your-own-doll area, this store also has a fun restaurant, a doll hair salon, arts and crafts, tea parties, and a doll hospital.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed December 1, 2010

My husband and I brought our daughter to the AMG Store to celebrate her seventh birhtday. What could be better than to celebrate a birthday with lunch at the cafe?!!!! EVERYTHING and ANYTHING!

Our entire dining experience (with the exception of the dolls sitting with us at the table) was terrible. The food was not worthy to be served. Even after we sent our meals back to be reheated, they were no better.

When I made the dining reservation, I specifically asked for a birthday cake/candle. I confirmed this request the day before our trip. We were assured that they would bring her a birthday surprise. Nothing was done.

Spending the entire day at the AMG Store was a wonderful experience. It's really too bad our dining experience left us with a sour taste.

I highly recommend foregoing a dining experience at the AMG restaurant and take advantage of all that the city has to offer for dining pleasure. Afterall, what we paid for three people, we could have left the store with another American Girl doll.

11  Thank twoboysonegirl
in 19 reviews
in 83 reviews
in 11 reviews

Reviewed November 11, 2010

We took our 7 year old granddaughter to the AG store on 49th street as a birthday surprise and were knocked out at the qulity of this establishment. From the merchandise to the customer service - the experience was fabulous. We had dinner in the AG Cafe before attending a group theater event to see Wicked. The food in the Cafe is pretty good and a great value for what you get. The dining room is just darling and the service is excellent and efficient. The girls were all talking to one another and making fast friends. Tom, one of the outstanding AG representatives, walked a group of us over to the theater and made sure that everyone was situated. Thank you Tom! The 2 1/2 floors of dolls, accessories, books, and so much more was worth the trip to NYC. We had a great time and our granddaughter said it was her favorite birthday ever. The staff at the AG store are very friendly and in spite of the crowds you can get through the lines very quickly. The customer service folks are always willing to help you and are very patient and friendly. This is a must go for anyone who has a young child who is interested in the AG experience - and it is an experience.

2  Thank BuckeyM
Reviewed October 21, 2010

If your daughter loves American Girl dolls, this is the place to go. Be sure to make a lunch or dinner rez in advance! Be prepared to spend some time here- theres lots of dolls & accessories to enjoy. The shop is two floors, the restaurant is on the top floor. We had lunch, which I believe was $24. pp ( a bargain in NYC) The food & the restaurant is very cute, exactly what you would expect here. Some of the food was very good, some just ok, but nothing terrible. My daughter (age 9) loved the whole experience. Her first comment when we left was " I hope we can come back soon". We spent about 4-5 hours here, shopping & eating. We stopped in NYC for 2 nights, on our way to an International destination, so we could not take our doll purchase with us. The store assigned us a "personal shopper" and she shipped the doll to us upon our return home. Great service!

3  Thank witwisAlex
Reviewed July 14, 2010

My mom and I took my daughter to NYC for her 10th birthday and celebrated with a shopping trip and birthday lunch at AGP. We all had a wonderful time! We arrived at 10 and had a chance to really look around, get her doll's hair styled, and shop before it got very crowded, which was nice. I agree with the reviewer that this is a shopping experience and if you are not going to shop with your child, don't go. We saw several frustrated mother/daughter moments because parents brought their daughters in just "to look." Don't do it--you are setting yourself up for disaster. That said, we were there to shop and had a great time. As a Girl Scout leader, I LOVED the book section and picked up some great activity books I hadn't seen before. Our lunch at the cafe was really a highlight of our trip, mainly because the room is so cute and the service is outstanding. We ordered a birthday lunch for the three of us and our table was waiting with a nice birthday card! The little touches are very sweet (hairbows for napkin rings, conversation starters on the table, little paper crowns). We were delighted that Samantha could dine with us at the table as the wait staff brought a mini chair that attached to the table so the doll could join us. They even brought a mini cup and saucer for her! Our appetizer tray was huge and included chicken salad cups, cheese, grapes, carrots, cucumber slices, strawberries and pretzle bread with honey mustard dipping sauce. I appreciated the healthy fare! Our lunches were delicious and so large none of us could finish them. My daughter had the tic tac toe pizza (very cute idea!), I had the quiche and salad (huge) and my mother had the chicken sandwich and sweet potato fries. For dessert they brought a lovely small cake in the shape of a present with candles and all sang Happy Birthday! They whisked the cake away and brought back the (huge!)cut pieces along with small plastic flower pots filled with vanilla ice cream. Each pot had a plastic daisy in it, which was also cute! We were absolutely stuffed. Our lunch was right at $100 without gratuity, which was not bad considering all the attention and the girlie environment. If you're looking for a gourmet extravaganza, this might not be your choice, but for a special afternoon with good food, that a young girl will remember, this would be hard to beat!

3  Thank Cecilesmom