“Great place for some girl bonding”

American Girl Place - New York
Ranked #20 of 810 Shopping in New York City
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
North Carolina
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great place for some girl bonding”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I brought my great niece here while we were visiting NY. Yes, you know going in it is going to be expensive. But the time I got to spend with my niece was priceless. Throughout the store you see mothers with their daughters, grandmothers with their granddaughters, and aunts with their nieces interacting with each other. And nary a cellphone in sight other than to take pictures. Just some good old-fashioned girl fun.

We splurged on the luncheon which was great fun. All the miniature dishes and special seats for the dolls was so cute. And we both loved the box of conversation starter questions they put on the table. My niece and I learned a lot about each other. The only downside was I wished they had more places at each table. My niece and I were at a two-seater, so she didn't have the opportunity to interact with other girls.

Visited April 2013

• Korean first
Cork, Ireland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Best place ever”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Brought my 9 year old and her american doll to the 5th avenue store recently. Amazing!!!! Best treat for her ever. Expensive but worth it for that special occasion and when you want to spoil your precious girl. A must do if you have a little girl and are in NYC.

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Doll Hairdresser a must do!”
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

This was my 2nd trip to the store with my daughter. We did not do the Cafe - over priced and not worth it. Most importantly, get to the store Early - at opening is best. You will get right in and lines get long fast. We did 1 of my daughters dolls hair a little over a year ago - the hair lasted perfectly until she took it out after 8 months. For curly styles, it takes much longer but worth it. If your doll is old and the hair is not looking great - do an updo. We had both dolls done in a "veil" style and they say this is the best lasting style for $25. It really is. If your doll needs ear piercing they can do this too. Store is fun to walk around and shop after getting hair done. Even with small line can take over an hour. My daughter knows to select 1 or 2 items and she doesn't beg for more. She knows that for her birthday and holidays she will get tons. She really loves the dogs too. Really insane place for girly girls. If your kid is not into the dolls could be torture.

2 Thank Michelle B
Cork, Ireland
107 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 131 helpful votes
“Weird but amazing place”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Brought my 8yr old here, nice but really expensive a place u have to see there is a doll hospital a doll cafe a doll hairdresser, a place to get matching clothes for owner and doll, a place to get portraits of u and doll a doll library and so on well worth a visit just for the strangeness/craziness factor if the place

Dolls are 200 dollars without accessories so beware

Phoenix, Arizona
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“A very special place!”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I took my daughters here, during our first visit to New York City. We arrived when it opened, and immediately made an appointment at the hair salon, as suggested here. We got a 12:15 appointment, which they timed for after our 11:00 lunch reservation. We spent the remainder of the hour visiting all of the 3 shopping floors, making a wish list for my older daughter. (My younger daughter has zero interest in AG dolls.) 45 minutes was plenty of time for us to visit all of the floors and different areas.

The restroom has doll holders in the stalls and by the hand dryer. What a cute touch! Both of my daughters loved this!

We went to the cafe 15 minutes early, as suggested, but just stood in line after checking in and getting our table number. Next time we'd walk around until our reservation time.

The cafe was very cute, and the decor is adorable. My daughters loved the hair bow ties on the napkins, as well as the fabric daisies from the dessert as their little souvenirs. My younger daughter didn't feel well and the server graciously didn't charge the typical $10 "sitting fee" for my daughter not eating. (I was also relieved I didn't have to spend $24 for a kid who didn't eat!) The food was just okay, but the experience was fantastic for my 7 year old. We sat by the window overlooking 5th Avenue, and she loved having her doll sitting in a chair attached to the table. The staff loaned my younger daughter a doll of her choice for the meal as well--nice touch!

The doll hair salon was my daughter's (and my) favorite part of the visit. There is a huge menu of hairstyle options, with a wide variety of prices (from $5-$25 and up) based on the intricacy of the style. My daughter chose the "birthday" updo option ($25) and it was worth it . . . I could not replicate this style at home, and my daughter loved the tiara that came with it. I also appreciated that the stylist showed my daughter how to properly wet and brush the doll's hair (who knew?). The stylist appreciated the small tip we gave her afterwards. Remember to pay for the hairstyle before the appointment as they need the receipt before they can style.

We spent a total of three hours in the store/cafe, and we felt like we had covered everything very well. The lines for the cash registers were very long in the afternoon, but the line for the first floor registers moved the quickest. My daughter had a fabulous visit, and we will both treasure the memories!

3 Thank LuvSHOes