“Fun for little girls, but bring patience :)”

American Girl Place - New York
Ranked #20 of 816 Shopping in New York City
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Philadelphia
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Fun for little girls, but bring patience :)”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I will be the first to admit that I have tried for years now to steer clear of the AG doll experience I just dont see the value of spending $110 for a doll, when you can get a very nice looking, very similar doll (Madam Alexander sold at Walmart for $30) but low and behold, here we found our selves at the store with our two children (5 and 8) who were loving this place: every crowded, hot mess about it.
The major difference I see with these dolls vs others is the hair. Is it worth the price tag, time will tell, but this post is not about the doll but about the sopping experience so i'll stick wtih that.
The place is large, and a bit overwhelming so BRING PATIENCE. They have several cases of dolls that you can choose from, but dont get hung of there. Def go to the second floor to see the doll of the year (and past years) and the traditional dolls, which to me are much more worth the $$ considering you get a book and a much nicer outfit for the same price as the modern dolls. They have a salon that you can get some crazy stuff done, like hair styles, and manicures and facials (YES, for the dolls, not your child! Crazy, YOU BET!) bu these people were loving it! We opted for earrings at the cost of $14 but got five pair of earrnigs for it (the earrings sold themselves would have been $9). Be prepared to see a LOAD of spoiled kids with bags and bags full of stuff, and if that's not you, please have that talk with your child in advance becuase I can see how easily you can get sucked into this AG World!
We didnt see the third floor but understand that it's where lunch is served, as well as some of the smaller dolls. The place all in all was very overwhelming, and hot (it was Jan so we had coats, etc. on) but the look on my girls' faces were priceless.

Visited January 2013

• Korean first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing!!!”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I have never been to the american girl place in New York before, but I went in the summer and I got ivy! I love there products and there accessories are so cute! Everything is a bit overpriced, I think they can knock off a few dollars, but overall, I had a great time there, and I can't wait to go back there again.

2 Thank iloveivystudios
Nashville
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A must for young girls”
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

This store is incredible and little girls wait in line clutching their dolls waiting for the store to open. It is right on Fifth Ave. and so easy to find. Plan to stay a while because it is large and has the entire catalog on display.

2 Thank gabbyk
Washington DC, District of Columbia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Fun for the kids, a nightmare for parents”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have been to American Girl many times over the years, and on this most recent visit it was almost unbearable. They need more people available to help, and they need crowd control. There was almost a huge accident on the escalator. The store was packed, and people crowded onto the escalator and when a elderly couple couldn't get off fast enough - it was like a case of falling dominos.

There is nothing at the store that isn't available online or at any of the numerous stores around the country. Even my girls have now admitted, it's just not worth the hassle.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank anm123
Redwood City, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Daughter had fun, we survived”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We had two meals here plus shopped. Everyone was pleasant but this place was nuts. Limited seating to rest and only one operational elevator. Certainly fun for a child; adults survive.

Visited December 2012