“Great Stay in East Harlem”
Review of 102 Brownstone

We can't find prices for this accommodation
102 Brownstone
Ranked #38 of 79 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I have to admit, I was a little leery about staying in Harlem from all of the stories I have heard in the past however, I would stay here again without hesitation! I attended a training for work nearby and I am so glad I decided to stay at 102 Brownstone. I stayed in the Cafe room which was so adorable. My room was clean, quiet, and had all conveniences I needed for my stay. There is a grocery store right around the corner where I was able to buy some things I needed, even organic items! The subway is right around the corner as well. My training was less than a mile away from 102 Brownstone so I walked every day in the neighborhood without any issues or worries. Lizette was very helpful and lives onsite and made it very clear that she would only a phone call away if I needed anything. I would recommend staying here. You won't be disappointed especially if you like privacy!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Melissa P

Reviewed December 6, 2011

All I can say is 102 Brownstone is a great place, it is perfectly placed for the subway and only a few short stops on the 3 or 2 downtown train, you could not ask for a better host in Lizette, if you need anything just ask but if you want to be left to your own devices then that's what happens. When you arrive you'll get your own keys and off you go. I would recommend Harlem to anyone who likes all the hustle during the day but wants the Burbs at night, saying that within 20 minutes walk there are more than enough places to eat, drink and also just do the normal touristy type things. Anyone that's not been to New York before as we hadn't then this is the perfect place. Lizette thanks for making our trip great and we'll be back for sure!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bobbyashmore
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I would echo the comments left by recent reviewers, both about the accomodation and Lizette the owner. Had it been possible I would have given a rating of 4.5 out of 5. The room was great with high ceilings, a queen size bed and a large TV. The bathroom had a powerful shower. The subway was 2 mins away with an approximate 20 minute journey to Times Square. My wife, who had been mugged at gunpoint in the UK, felt very safe in this location and was happy to venture out at night. There are plenty of varied eating houses in the area, we would recommend Native - just across the road and Amy Ruths on W116th Street, just around the corner from the subway. Thanks again Lizette, when we return to NYC, 102 Brownstone will be top of our list.

Room Tip: We were in "Cafe" on the first floor, (although up a flight of steps from the pavement) th...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Arleyboy
Reviewed October 5, 2011

This is not your typical 'hotel"...it is more like renting a room in a private home. Owner Lizette was warm and welcoming,the room very comfortable, the neighborhood quite friendly (we felt very safe roaming around after dark), Lots of activity nearby but easy access to bus, subway, train if you want to head elsewhere. The only- ONLY -reason I would question another stay here would be that payment must be in cash or arranged in advance. Definitely worth checking out if you are heading to New York!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PegSD
Reviewed October 5, 2011

We stayed 3 nights here, and it was a lovely, quiet, clean, comfortable refuge from the madness of downtown Manhattan! We felt like locals, with our own front door key. Catching the bus from La Guardia was so simple and cheap, and then the B&B is 10 mins walk down a main road. There is a great little coffee shop that does food all day long - Caffe Latte - just round the corner: we ate there most evenings, although we did go to Amy Ruth's one night to sample genuine soul food (highly recommended!). Transport into the city is very good - subway or take the bus if you are not in a rush and want to people watch. We were quite happy to get away from the noise and rush, but I suppose if you want to feel that you are in the heart of NYC, you probably wouldn't stay here. And as everyone else said, Lizette is lovely...!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2011

My mother stayed here and she loved it. The room was charming and clean. The neighborhood has a lot of personality. Great place to stay. Lizette was wonderful. She accommodated all our requests. Only one precaution: this is not a regular hotel, so you might not find Lizette at all times. Therefore, I suggest you call her before you go and tell her exactly at what time you're arriving so that she'll be there. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Pros :
1.the owner is very sweet , she is real warm and kind and leaves you alone with your own key to come and go as you please and let me use some books to help me out in harlem / nyc
2. close to subway stop
3.very very spacious with own ful-lsize kitchen and bathroom
4. very safe area..... walked around at night alone after midnight from the subway nearby
5. more bang for your buck
6. clean

Cons:
1. had to wait 2 hrs for my room that was suppose to be ready at 10am per my written reservation { i was left stranded in a new city ...on my b-day trip ;o( ... not good
2. no room service { per site and from it states ever 3 days ... i was there from wed-sunday } so still had dirty towels... sheets... and trash that was never serviced
3. toilet seat was not screwed on
2. bed was the most uncomfortable.... no comforter .. only jersey sheets with a blanket and a hard hard bed.... so i slept on the sofa
3.window unit did not have a clean filtering system { i opened the window to get fresh air in ,..... i was nonstop sneezing in this room .... i was on OTC meds the whole time trying to breath... when i would turn off the unit.... i felt much better .
4. location is far from all the popular sites { village/ wallstreet/chelsea, soho, times sq etc.... }
5. wifi...goes in and out alot

Overall .... this place is great if u are on a tight budget and have a large group because you can save . I wanted to live like a new yorker..... so this fit the bill ... Next time i will stay in the middle of the island so that the commuting time would be shorter ....other then that ..... i had a very nice time .

Room Tip: far from most popular sites ...use subway to save
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
#40 of 79 in New York City
The International Cozy Inn
The International Cozy Inn
#24 of 79 in New York City

Been to 102 Brownstone? Share your experiences!