“Charming place”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of 102 Brownstone

We can't find prices for this accommodation
102 Brownstone
Ranked #35 of 75 New York City B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Charming place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

My mother stayed here and she loved it. The room was charming and clean. The neighborhood has a lot of personality. Great place to stay. Lizette was wonderful. She accommodated all our requests. Only one precaution: this is not a regular hotel, so you might not find Lizette at all times. Therefore, I suggest you call her before you go and tell her exactly at what time you're arriving so that she'll be there. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

Pros :
1.the owner is very sweet , she is real warm and kind and leaves you alone with your own key to come and go as you please and let me use some books to help me out in harlem / nyc
2. close to subway stop
3.very very spacious with own ful-lsize kitchen and bathroom
4. very safe area..... walked around at night alone after midnight from the subway nearby
5. more bang for your buck
6. clean

Cons:
1. had to wait 2 hrs for my room that was suppose to be ready at 10am per my written reservation { i was left stranded in a new city ...on my b-day trip ;o( ... not good
2. no room service { per site and from it states ever 3 days ... i was there from wed-sunday } so still had dirty towels... sheets... and trash that was never serviced
3. toilet seat was not screwed on
2. bed was the most uncomfortable.... no comforter .. only jersey sheets with a blanket and a hard hard bed.... so i slept on the sofa
3.window unit did not have a clean filtering system { i opened the window to get fresh air in ,..... i was nonstop sneezing in this room .... i was on OTC meds the whole time trying to breath... when i would turn off the unit.... i felt much better .
4. location is far from all the popular sites { village/ wallstreet/chelsea, soho, times sq etc.... }
5. wifi...goes in and out alot

Overall .... this place is great if u are on a tight budget and have a large group because you can save . I wanted to live like a new yorker..... so this fit the bill ... Next time i will stay in the middle of the island so that the commuting time would be shorter ....other then that ..... i had a very nice time .

Room Tip: far from most popular sites ...use subway to save
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

We found 102 Brownstone on Trip Advisor and decided to book it for 5 nights.
The owner was helpful in providing us information on where are the nearest supermarket, pharmacy, breakfast locations and also, more importantly, the location of the nearest subway station.

Overall, the location of the hotel is pretty good. The subway is just a 5 minutes walk away and although it is in Harlem, it is quite fast to get to downtown Manhattan,

We like the cleanliness of the room. It is indeed a good place to stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Autumndew
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2011

I had to be in NYC for two days of job interviews in the Bronx. I wanted someplace that was affordable, private and comfortable. 102 Brownstone is a "boutique" hotel on 118th street near Marcus Garvey park. For the unbelievable price of $119 (plus tax) I got a private room with a high ceilings, queen-sized bed, private bath with good-sized shower and plenty of towels, a lovely little antique desk to work at, cable TV, microwave, fridge, free WiFi and a cozy atmosphere.

This is NOT a typical hotel. The rooms are all furnished in an eclectic style. There is no main office. They do not take credit cards. It felt more like I had my own little private studio apartment. Even though I was on the first floor, I was not bother by street noise. The room was spotless, Lizette was welcoming and helpful and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Call ahead of time and specify exactly what you w.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank SavvyFaire
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2011

Late review for a December stay…..my husband and I stayed at this hotel in early December. Our $30 round-trip flight savings was about to get annihilated by extremely expensive lodging until I found this place on Trip Advisor. As mentioned by others, the Brownstone was close to the subway lines, pretty quiet for NYC standards, and was a really great price for the huge room that had a kitchenette. Getting to 102 Brownstone from the airport was a breeze: we hopped on the M60 bus, got off on Lenox Avenue and 125th Street and walked the rest of the way.

Lizette was wonderfully kind and gracious. She let us drop our bags off early and also surprised us with champagne and balloons to celebrate our anniversary. We will definitely be back!

Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2011

I stayed in 102 Brownstone with my girlfriend over New Years Weekend. It really is not so far from downtown, just a twenty minute metro road or so depending on where you get on. It is five minutes walk from the 116th Street Metro and easy to find. The neighborhood is safe enough, interesting, and just steps from Minton's (a very historic jazz bar) which was unfortunately dark while we were there. But no worries lots of interesting jazz bars throughout Harlem. Really good music scene. But back to 102 Browstone. The manager is very friendly and helpful. Rooms are comfortable and we slept very well. I will definitely stay at 102 Brownstone the next time I am in NYC. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2010

We stayed there in December for 3 nights. The rooms are exactly like the pictures shown on their home page and the owners are very friendly and helpful.

The area is very nice and tranquil and makes a great retreat from the hustle and bustle of the city center. The metro is just 2 minutes walking, central park another 8 minutes and there are several good restaurants in the area. We had our breakfast every day at a nice place called "cafe latte", just 100 meters down the street. There is also a well assorted supermarket just across the street .

The price is reasonable and we would definetely go there again.