“We had a blast” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Baltimore, Maryland
“We had a blast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed here in March for a weekend and everything was as it should have been and more. I booked through their website, room was perfect on 30th floor wit great view of river. The staff was awesome, especially Juber, the bellman who was a great help to me and made my two kids 7 and 5 feel really welcome at the hotel. We also worked with another gentleman who helped us get a cab and actually walked up to Lex to help us get a cab (I think he was from South Africa and worked the afternoon to late night shift). The hotel is older, but for the price I paid, the room was huge, two queen beds, the water pressure was awesome (the shower head has multiple settings) and beds were clean and comfortable. Also, I had requested a fan on the website on the check in info form and it was there when we checked in and also the AC actually worked in the winter as the room was warm from being on top floor. All in all, will be staying again, it is also easy to get up and downtown via 3rd or 2nd Ave, great location. Thanks Dumont staff!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AGGeneralManager, General Manager at Dumont NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear SG_MD2014,

As the new General Manager of the Affinia Dumont Hotel I would like to thank you for your feedback. I am so pleased to hear we exceeded your expectations and I look forward to sharing your post with Juber! Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may be of any future assistance. We hope to see you and your family back at the Affinia Dumont soon!

Jennifer Baldwin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (860)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

I won this accommodation and was a little worried about how it would be but was pleasantly surprised at the quality finishes, friendliness and general greatness of this hotel. The bed was very comfortable and it was so nice to come back to a warm greeting and a warm room from a cold February day. The use of a kitchen was something we didn't expect would be as good as it was. The only thing that was a little annoying was there was free wifi, but you had to go down to the lobby to use it. A little archaic, but hopefully something they'll work on. Location is in a friendly neighbourhood, where we felt fine walking around on our own day or night. Will definitely recommend to others.

Room Tip: I wasn't able to work out if there was a small room in this whole building so you'll be happ...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sneaky_nu123
Dear sneakynu_123,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. As the new General Manger of the hotel, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our massive rooms! Our rooms are larger than most NYC apartments! We look forward to welcoming you back the Affinia Dumont the next time your travels bring you to NYC!

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

I came here back in October for a birthday trip. I've been avoiding posting a review because of my mixed feelings.

Overall, it's a nice hotel. Rooms are nice enough. Location is great. They have a pretty decent gym. SOME of the staff were helpful. Particularly the lovely doorman from South Africa (I wish I had asked his name).

I wish I could leave a better review. However, I was displeased with the service we received when checking in. There was some sort of error with the amount of people the room was booked for. So the front desk woman said we would need to pay extra. I've would've been fine with that, except for the rude manner and tone in which it was done. Being talked to rudely was the last thing we needed at midnight after a 7 hour flight. Hopefully the front desk person was just having a bad night and doesn't regularly treat guests like that.

I was truly embarrassed by the bad hospitality because I chose this hotel. So I emailed customer service trying to tell them about my experience the next day. They didn't even offer an apology.

Definitely put a damper on what was supposed to be a birthday trip. There are absolutely some pros to staying here, as reflected in the other reviews. Nonetheless, the check-in experience and lack of apology is enough for me to never consider staying here again. People who aren't hospitable have no business working in the HOSPITALITY industry. If customer service had even simply apologized, it probably wouldn't have left such a bad taste in my mouth.

To be clear, if it wasn't for the super helpful doorman, I would've rated the service as 'Terrible'!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Alyssa V
AGGeneralManager, General Manager at Dumont NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Dear Alyssa V,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. As the new General Manager of the Affinia Dumont I am disappointed to read that we did not meed your expectations during your October visit. Your experience is certainly not representative of the level of service we strive to provide our guests. Please be assured that I will be sharing your post with our Executive Team to respond accordingly. I would like to have the opportunity to discuss your experience in greater detail. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the Affinia Dumont. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

My 2 sisters and I stayed here for 8 nights during February and we had a good time. It's within a walkable distance to Times Sq, and the Park Ave subway is only a block or two away. The hotel room was nicely decorated and had enough space for all our luggage and shopping. While the kitchen is functional, it's incredibly difficult to actually make a meal since there is a lack of cooking utensils and the knives have the sharpness of a butter knife (although this may be intentional because it might be a safety issue?). I also appreciate the laundry facilities on the basement level as clean clothes are a constant worry of mine on holidays. The washer and dryers use quarters and cost $2 each.

The showerheads in the bathroom allow you to change the pressure which was good, and I have no comment on their shower gel/shampoo/conditioner as I used my own.

I think the only thing that irked me a little bit was the call from housekeeping during the day to ask if I wanted maid service. I found this redundant because that's what the sign on the doorknob is for. To be fair though, it's not that big of a deal and I was in a bad mood at the time because I was confined to 3 days of bed rest due to food poisoning (not the hotel's fault!) and the shrill noise of the phone was enough to annoy me.

Another note to fellow travelers is that you SHOULD NOT book a towncar via the hotel to go to the airport and you are better off just getting a cab from the curb (there are plenty). We booked it with the front desk and we were not told it was going to cost $77 to JFK (not including tips). As well as being a complete rip off, the car was hardly any larger than a regular sedan car (barely fit our luggage and as the cab driver forced my suitcase in, I heard a crack - not good!) and the driver claimed that the front seat door didn't work so we were all crammed at the back like sardines with half our luggage on our laps.

All in all, I would still recommend this hotel, particularly for longer stays. It's incredibly good value for NYC and bigger than I expected. It's also very convenient in terms of tourist destinations and accessing other areas via subway or by walking.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Galida,

Thank you for providing us with your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor. At the Affinia Dumont we utilize our guest's feedback as a tool to enhance our ability to provide the highest level of service to our guests. Please be assured I will share your post with our Executive Team to respond accordingly. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our spacious rooms and great location. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC!

Buckley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Stopped for 5 nights in late Feb. We found the hotel very clean and tidy, staff were all very helpful. Hotel is just a few blocks from the Empire State and Macy's. Rooms are to a good standard.We found the hotel quiet with not much noise from other guests there are only 7 rooms on most floors. Would stop here again.
For the best views ask for a room above the 20th floor.
The front of the hotel has views of the Chrysler Building but you also get some noise from the street below ear plugs are provided!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear simplyredBuckley,

As the new General Manager of the Affinia Dumont, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Our views and location are just right for families on vacation. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance in the near future.

New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Spacious accommodation in NYC. Almost self-catering. Small reception and business center. SPA is less grandiose than advertised. No steam room. Other than that problem with the ad for this hotel in Travelocity, it is quite good and I'd book again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Federico C
Dear Federico C,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. As the new General Manager of the Affinia Dumont I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your s tay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was spacious and well equipped. The views were awesome. The price was reasonable. Even though it's on 34th street it was quiet enough and was a very short trip to Laguardia.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AGGeneralManager, General Manager at Dumont NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear MikeB9999,

Thank you for providing us with your valuable feedback on your most recent stay at the Affinia Dumont. We are so pleased to hear that our location, spectacular views and service exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC!