“Home away from home”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Brisbane, Australia
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Affinia had some big shoes to fill, for me. Our last time in New York we stayed at the Residence Inn Times Square, so I was a little worried this time.

Wow, the location was great, our one bedroom unit was huge, and the service was very good. I chose a place, that had a kitchen so that I could cook breakfast, and the small kitchen served us well, as we were staying for 2 weeks this really was a home away from home for us, the lounge was huge with fantastic large furniture, and the bedroom had 2 double wardrobes with lights inside and draws that slid with just the touch of a finger. At first I felt the rooms looked a little too dark due to the very dark furnishings, and dark carpet, but it soon grew on me.

My only criticsm of the Dumont is that the unit doors do not have a slow close on them and therefore everyone's doors slam shut, and late at night or early in the morning, it was noticable and annoying, so I think that management should take a look at that.

Everything is just there, the subway a block away, the crosstown bus across the road, and of course walking is easy everywhere, I see some people talk about a cab to Times Square, we are a mature aged couple and we walked there and back every other day, no problem, there is always a new street to explore and something else new to look at.

After my initail concern about the locataion of the Dumont, I can honestly say, go for it, this is a great hotel, in a great location, with everything you could want or need just outside the door.

2 Thank Dancingtraveller622
ASpektor, General Manager at Dumont NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Dancingtraveller622,

It was such a pleasure reading your review and I thank you for your feedback.

What a wonderful observations, yes, our location is absolutely fantastic- we are close to all the major NYC attractions but we are still part of a true neighborhood…just as if you were to walk out of your own home and take a stroll down the street. And you are absolutely right, “everything is just there” from the convenient transportation options to shopping on Fifth Avenue and 34th Street to the many restaurants and cafes that are in the area.
I am glad you enjoyed our spacious One Bedroom Suites which feature living rooms, bedrooms and fully equipped kitchens for a true home away from home feel as you mentioned. Thank you for giving us a chance and letting the Affinia Dumont exceed your expectations. We look forward to your next visit.

Alex Spektor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (872)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Willimantic, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

We've stayed at the Dumont about a half a dozen times over the past few years, most recently this past weekend. We always book a junior skyline suite which is in the northeast corner of the building with views of the Chrysler building and the East River. If you don't mind spending a few extra bucks, and like us enjoy relaxing in your room between activities, it's worth it.

The location is excellent wherever your plans take you in the city. It's easy to take advantage of kitchenette (one of the big reasons we like to stay here). There's the Murray Hill Market on the corner of Lexington that sells prepared and fresh foods that you can heat up on the stove or in the microwave. There's other markets as well, a liquor store two blocks east on 34th and many very good neighborhood restaurants within easy walking distance (Le Parisenne around the block on 33rd and La Giara near 34th on 3rd Ave being two). I stress "neighborhood" because that's how it feels when we stay at the Dumont. We get to play out our "apartment in NYC" fantasy. In fact we have celebrated a couple of big birthdays with friends who we comfortably entertained in the room before and after going out for the evening (one of our friends kids us about the Dumont being our "pied a terre"). I imagine this would be a great extended stay hotel for a business person.

The staff has always been friendly and professional although I have to say that we've never placed any big demands on them. The rooms are clean and well-kept with very comfortable beds. Never used the WiFi so I can’t say. There’s fancier hotels and there’s cheaper (we've stayed in both) but the Dumont fits us so well that it’s hard not to go back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Saopa,

Thank you for being a loyal guest and returning to the Affinia Dumont for your New York City trips.

Our Junior Skyline Suites are highly coveted because of the spectacular views they offer of the Chrysler Building as well as the East River. And I am sure you would agree, at night the views are absolutely breathtaking. Our location definitely has the best of both worlds: convenience to all the shops, dining options and tourist attractions but also the understated feel of a neighborhood. We look forward to your return whether it’s for a big celebration or just to play out your “apartment in NYC” fantasy. Once again, thank you for your kind words.

High Wycombe, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Returning to the Affinia Dumont we were pleased once again to meet with one of the most polite and helpful staff we have ever encountered at a New York City hotel, Donald Garcia, one of the Bellmen. All of the bell staff are most helpful but Donald particularly so. The hotel itself has much larger than average accommodation for NYC and many of the rooms have excellent views across the East River and towards the Chrysler Building. The beds are comfy and it's relatively quiet for NYC if you get a high room. Minus points, they charge (quite a bit) for WiFi Internet in your room and it's not that quick and housekeeping need to dust the top edges of the opening windows (dirty fingers). We were fortunate on this stay as there was a promotion on and we got it free. Forget room service as the Cinema Cafe that provides it is often out of the most basic menu items, it was much better when it was Barking Dog. Thanks to Donald (once again) we found a great Pizza delivery service and a fantastic deli with great fresh sandwiches over on 2nd Ave close to the hotel. So, it's not perfect but its the best we've found in over 20 visits to NYC.

Room Tip: The corner suites are best
1 Thank metroburns
ASpektor, General Manager at Dumont NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear metroburns,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a great review.
Donald is one of our long time bellman and he truly provides a genuine and personal touch in his interactions with our guests-and thank you for your kind words about him. All of our suites are very spacious and the Skyline Suites offer breathtaking views of the Chrysler Building or the East River and NYC Skyline. We have recently upgraded our internet with quadruple amount of bandwidth which will offer exceptional performance and reliability. Once again, thank you for choosing to stay at the Affinia Dumont this time. We hope to see you again.

Yalding, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

This was my second stay and I liked it even more!

Brilliantly located to go both uptown and downtown, this hotel is on 34th street.

This time we had a skyline suite so great views of the Chrysler building. We had a small kitchen - ideal for making cups of tea! Also a sitting room and a bedroom.

Staff were v helpful - especially bellboy for calling cabs and organising a car to go back to airport.

Nice bar next door and just round the corner a diner for fab breakfasts. Will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views
2 Thank LouiseI
Dear Louisel,

It is good to see that you liked the Affinia Dumont the second time even better!!
Our hotel is centrally located in New York City – making access to major tourist attractions or business areas a breeze. I am glad you enjoyed our One Bedroom Skyline Suite which comes with a living room, bedroom, full kitchen and beautiful views of the Chrysler Building. Thank you for your review and we look forward to your next visit at the Affinia Dumont.

Be Well,
Westport, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

This hotel is a FIND. We chose the Affinia Dumont because we had to be close to New York University Med Center. We were upgraded to a king suite (no extra charge) on the 19th floor that was spacious, in excellent shape and had a city scape view from 2 huge windows. Only complaint--I needed a ladder to use the bathroom mirror! (As a short person this was annoying). With 37 floors, it's not quite a "boutique" hotel, but staff was pleasant and accommodating. In the small lobby there are computers for printing airline tickets and a most helpful concierge. The exercise room on the second floor looked well equipped, next time I'll bring my sneakers. We've stayed in pricier neighborhoods in corporate hotels but the rooms have been half the size unless we paid above $350+ a night. For comfort, quality and convenience, Affinia Dumont has come up with a winning formula and we look forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank whoopsy2
ASpektor, General Manager at Dumont NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear whoopsy2,

Thank you for a great review! We were happy to learn that you have finally found your favorite NYC hotel!
Our suites do offer views of the midtown skyline and/or East river as well as downtown Manhattan.
It's great to see that you have noticed our key service components that are based on comfort, convenience and customization.
Our hotel also offers a full fitness center facility along with a Spa.

We look forward to your return to the Affinia Dumont!

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

A coworker and I stayed here on a business trip to New York and while it was a bit expensive we were both impressed with the hotel.

Rooms were large, clean, and had nice furnishings. My room had a fantastic view of the Chrysler building of which I got many good pictures of.

The only negative I had with the hotel was that we had to pay for internet access. I travel usually at least a week each month all over the country and have never had to pay for internet access at any hotel in the US and at the prices we were paying for the rooms at the Affinia I felt internet should have been free.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RichieUT
Dear RichieUT,

Thank you for a great review of the Affinia Dumont.
Our spacious and comfortable Skyline Suites definitely offer picturesque views of New York City – especially of the Chrysler Building. And our business travelers, like yourself, will enjoy our latest major upgrade to our internet system. We have quadrupled our internet system’s bandwidth providing our guests with super-fast internet browsing and dramatically improved performance. Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback.

Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed at The Affinia Dumont for three days, two nights. My brother, sister, boyfriend and I were attending the BIGBANG concert in Newark and had decided to add an extra night to our trip. I work for a luxury hotel chain and was unfortunately not able to secure a room at our NY property. I had searched and signed up for every travel flash site, scoured Priceline and Hotwire, and lurked on BetterBidding to see which hotel would offer the best value for our party of 4. It was really stressing me out as I was weighing the pros/cons of booking two rooms vs a suite. The Affinia chain came highly recommended by a colleague. After doing a bit of research, the Affinia Dumont's Advanced Booking rate (non-refundable) turned out to be an extreme value--even more affordable than staying at my company's NY property, had I been able to get a room!

A week before our trip, Hurricane Sandy hit. As we watched the devastation unfold on TV, in the back of my mind I was nervous about our upcoming stay. I was confident that everything will be "fine," as we in the industry know, in times of adversity, we come together as a team and still strive to look after our guests. Even though I'm sure the staff had other priorities, the hotel's website was always updated with the latest happenings. This line of communication left me with a good impression of The Affinia Dumont. As a guest, it provided me with reassurance but also helped me to manage my expectations. As it was, when we arrived in the city, power was reinstated to the hotel, trains were running, and the concert in Newark was not cancelled. It was about as normal as it could be, all things considered.

Check-in was seamless, and our bags were promptly brought up to our room. Our suite was well-appointed and spacious. It had two queen beds, a sofa bed, a kitchenette, and a desk. It was more than enough space for 4 people, but it was nice because you had room to move around without being on top of one another. There was also a TV in the bedroom and one in the living room, so there's no quibbling over watching a movie versus "Duck Dynasty." I had known there was a kitchenette so had brought a sponge and some dish washing liquid, but they had thoughtfully provided these amenities. There's also a dishwasher, cookware, coffee maker, mugs, dishes, and cutlery. Beds were comfortable, and a pillow menu is available if you sign up through My Affinia. Noise was so-so. I'm a heavy sleeper so I didn't notice, but my sister mentioned that you can hear ambulances go "whup-whup-whup" in the night. The bathroom was also large by New York standards. I appreciated the vanity for additional counter space. Water pressure was decent as well.

Though we only had the suite serviced once, Housekeeping did a thorough job, even going so far as to wash our dishes in the sink.

The location of the hotel was truly excellent. Many great restaurants are within walking distance, and we discovered we only used the subway once or twice during our stay.

Our second night, we were all up late and overheard a couple arguing and a woman shouting, "Let me go!" I called down to the Front Desk to have their security investigate. As a result of their argument, I think the woman was locked out of her room, but she may have been asked to leave the hotel by Security. I feel guilty reporting it but at the same time I didn't want any harm to come to the woman. (I hope she's okay.)

Other than that, our stay was comfortable and uneventful. We had a late bus so when we checked out (early), we checked our bags with the bellman. When we returned, it took a long time for the bellman to retrieve our bags. We later found out that he had gone on break so another person fetched the bags for us. When I came home, I discovered an $8 minibar charge on my credit card statement. We had brought our own beverages so didn't take anything from the refrigerator. A call to the hotel resulted in an apology and my account was credited. I was kind of annoyed because I felt I had tipped well throughout our stay, but at the same time I was pleased that my issue was resolved quickly and without question.

Overall, a pleasant stay, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. I highly recommend this hotel for groups or for people looking for a spacious yet affordable option while in New York!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Sarah L
Dear Sarah L,

Wow – what a fantastic and detailed review-I highly enjoyed reading it!
First of all, thank you for choosing the Affinia Dumont after your lengthy and thorough research-you definitely did your job!

Hurricane Sandy was an unfortunate event that affected many of us, however, as you mentioned we all pull together as a team and come out stronger at the end. We definitely do our best to keep our website as up to date as possible with all the latest information.

I am happy you enjoyed our top-notch location which is close to all the major NYC attractions. Our large suites definitely offer room not just to sleep over, but to truly move around and enjoy your vacation. Our fully equipped kitchens offer everything you would need to prepare a home cooked meal – yes, even dish washing liquid and sponge; in addition our pillow menu offers a choice of six pillows-definitely something for everyone. And yes, our staff is on-site 24-hours a day to assist you in every way and ensure you are comfortable. Again, thank you for a splendid review and we look forward to your next visit.