“Favorite hotel, in any city”

Dumont NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #94 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tampa, Florida
“Favorite hotel, in any city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

I've been staying here for the last twelve years - sometimes for long stays - and I've never regretted it. The staff is always great, the service awesome, the location perfect and central to the city and everything is always ridiculously clean. Some rooms might be small, but it's NY and the rooms are so well appointed that size is irrelevant. While they don't have a restaurant of their own, each room has a full kitchen which makes longer stays so much easier. There's a reasonably priced laundry in the basement and a dry-cleaner half a block away. As an illustration of how great this place is, I was there during the 2004 blackout and I knew I'd be safe (I know that law enforcement often stay at the hotel). They have backup generators which kept an elevator and emergency lighting running and the staff rounded up what they could for food, drink and other amenities to serve the guests (blackout = no restaurants, atms, buses, trains, etc). The next morning, the staff was extremely accommodating when I needed a small cash advance against my credit card to get home and arranged for a car to get me the airport for a pre-negotiated rate which saved me a ton of money (everyone was offering rides for greatly inflated prices). The staff looked out for me and the other hotel guests as if we were their children - honestly, none of us could have asked for better service! I highly recommend!

Room Tip: Always consistent, always great.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jbuck101
ASpektor, General Manager at Dumont NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Jbuck101,

I wanted to personally thank you for being a loyal guest of the Affinia Dumont! I am glad to hear that you have great confidence in our staff and realize the fact that safety and security of our guests are very important to us. We do take it very seriously!
We are looking forward to welcome you back in a near future!

Alex Spektor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (870)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

It is hard to find a reasonably priced hotel in New York City that you would tolerate anywhere else in the rest of the country. The Affinia Dumont counts as tolerable once you get past the lobby. This hotel is from what I can tell a converted apartment building and as a result the lobby is fairly tiny. There was no bar or restaurant that I could see. Hence this is really a dormitory rather than a hotel The good news was that the room that I stayed in was spacious, clean and very comfortable. The low wattage fluorescent lights are annoying when you are trying to find something.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Noah_Webster
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

We were on the 37th floor with great views across the East River and downtown, room was spacious and very comfortable. The kitchen was well equipped and meant we could do our own breakfast and snacks which we much preferred to going out all the time. Murray Hill is a good area for shops and restaurants and an easy walk to most places we wanted to go. We didn't need help or advice as we know New York well so can't really comment on staff in that respect. Such hotel staff as we met were friendly and pleasant.
We will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Better views from higher up,corner room was excellent
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SueinLondon
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for the third time this November. I'm pleased to relate that this hotel is still a really lovely place to stay. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable and the location good (not far from the subway and with plenty of good eateries within walking distance).
Nice products in the bathroom and plenty of lovely fluffy towels.

This stay I was on the second floor, and found it absolutely fine with regards to noise (but the hotel had thoughtfully provided ear plugs for light sleepers).

I would happily return to this hotel on my next visit to NYC, and would recommend it to other travellers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
St. Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

This was our first trip to NYC and we could not have had a better weekend. The location of the Affinia Dumont was terrific. The room was large, comfortable and very clean. The view of the Empire State Building was a plus! The staff was pleasant and very helpful. We look forward to returning to NYC this spring for a longer visit and will definitely stay again at the Affinia Dumont.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

We had a lovely weekend in NYC. The hotel was clean, bright and lovely. The staff was lovely and accomidating. The room was large (especially for NYC). The kitchen was great! Bathroom and ammenities were FAB.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Brigid F
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

I had high expectations for the Affinia Dumont before arriving to the hotel. A majority of the reviews for this hotel were very positive and the hotel itself was ranked in the top 50 of all the NYC hotels. Another big reason we made reservation with this hotel was because of the reasonable price; we paid $599.67 for a two night stay from 11/16 to 11/18 and that was for a king studio suite on the 29th floor.

The hotel is located in the Murray Hill area and it’s pretty easy to find. Me and my fiancée drove down to NYC and decided to use the hotel valet parking service of $50 per night. The check in guy wasn’t the friendliest staff member! He didn’t make us feel welcome and when I asked him a question about the valet service parking he answered by “Well In NY this is standard”. It was a very cold response and made us feel very uncomfortable.

We went up to our room which was located on the 29th floor and it faced the Chrysler building. The view was great and the room was very spacious. The hotel does not offer free Wi-Fi. Inside the room was a big 42 inch T.V., a very comfortable soft king sized bed, an office area, two chairs, a small kitchen when you walk right into the room and a good sized bathroom. The kitchen felt outdated and some of the furniture selection like the two arm chairs in the main area of studio felt like we were back in the 80’s. I like the idea that before arriving you can go on the Affinia website and customize your preferences and request certain things to be in your room upon arrival. We chose a special pillow, universal charger and running/walking accessories kit that included an iPod nano, stop watch and mini towel. That was a nice touch by the hotel to offer this to their customers!

The location of this hotel is not bad. It’s about 7 minutes walking distance to the closest subway station and there are plenty of coffee shops, mini marts and restaurants to go to. We walked to Times square from the hotel and on a good weather day its easy to get around. Getting a cab in NYC is not worth it unless you want to sit in traffic and have your driver drive like a mad man!

The staff is alright. The housekeepers are very friendly and so is the bell man. I didn’t get that feeling from the front desk people. We weren’t looking for Park Plaza service but a regular “Good morning” or “Have a great night” would have been nice.

I have two big problems with this hotel. We had our room on the 29th floor and we know NY is loud and we expected to hear ambulances and other various street noise but we were shocked to find how much noise you can hear from the rooms around us. Our room was not next to the elevator and the people next to us were not having a party; but I could literally hear every word coming from the room next to us. Every time they closed any door in their room; it was a loud bang and felt like a military drill. I could not hear any noise from upstairs but the walls around us are paper thin and it made it very difficult to sleep at night. I expected higher quality building from a 4 star hotel.

When checking out we called the front desk and requested for our car. The hotel advises you to call 20 minutes ahead for valet parking.. When we got into the car we were shocked to find that it was scorching hot inside the car. The heat was not on at that time but when we turned on the car the heated seat function of the car was turned all the way to the hottest mode and the temperature for the car was set at 90 degrees, the actual seat position was altered, and the radio station was re programmed. What kind of company goes into a stranger’s car and finds it acceptable to alter and “play” around with someone’s car. Not only is it a safety issue to leave heated seats on while the car is not running but it’s an invasion of someone’s belongings to adjust the setting of a strangers car. Is this the NY Standard?

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone! Thin Walls and Bad Customer Service is not going to win anyone over! The next time I visit NY and want luxury comfort; I know not to consider the Affinia Dumont!

Room Tip: Do Not Use Valet Service At This Hotel!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank IWantToSeeTheWorld1
ASpektor, General Manager at Dumont NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear IWantToSeeTheWorld1,

Thank you for your review. Despite some assumptions that we were converted from an apartment building I am happy to say our hotel was originally built as an all-suite hotel. That was always the purpose of our hotel and we continue to accommodate the needs of many business travelers and families looking for additional space in their suite, full kitchens and amazing views. We do offer a restaurant on-site as well as room service, fitness center and a spa. We are in the process of converting to an energy efficient lighting; however we've thoughtfully invested in the LED technology to both protect the environment without a sacrifice to the guest experience.

I hope you will get a chance to stay with us again and experience the all that our hotel has to offer.

Alex Spektor