“Clean and comfortable but noisy.”
Review of Sohotel

Sohotel
Ranked #289 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Burlington, Vermont
“Clean and comfortable but noisy.”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We are a family of five just back from our one night at this hotel. It was very clean, comfortable and attractive. They were quite accommodating and took our bags, though couldn't check us in, at around noon. We happened by at 2:30 and again were told no check in until later (check in time is 3pm.) We found this a bit unaccommodating but had to admit that we were early a second time. We did eventually check in and were put in a room on the second floor, streetside. At 10:30, with three exhausted kids, we were more than ready to turn in. However, we realized that we were directly over a nightclub, and the noise and music carried on until 4 am, at which time a giant fight broke out in the street, and we didn't sleep until 5am or so. It is entirely possible that the hotel didn't have any other rooms to give a family of five, and I will give them the benefit of the doubt (our friends stayed on the 3rd floor, off the street, and didn't hear much at all.) However, given that they also were not willing to accommodate us at 2:30 pm for a slightly early check in, we will not recommend this hotel and will not stay again. There are too many other options in NYC for us to take a second chance on Sohotel.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms off the street.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lesley H
sohotel, Director of Sales at Sohotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Thank you Lesley for your review! We are very glad that you found our accommodations clean, comfortable and attractive. We do our best and pride ourselves on keeping our accommodations extremely well maintained. I am glad it shows!

We are indeed sorry that some outside noise disturbed you. Unfortunately, there is only so much we can do about pedestrians who walk down our street. This is common in major cities such as NYC. We are taking major steps within the next few months to limit this by installing brand new windows with increased sound proofing throughout our entire building.

As a general policy, our check in time is at 3PM as stated on our website. Although, we do advertise check in at 3PM our front desk is trained to give rooms for check in as they come available from housekeeping. We do hope you understand that it is never that we do not want to accommodate but that your room must just not have been ready. In the future we recommend adding special requests so that we can have notice of arrival time and do the best we can to accommodate.

We hope to win your business back and thank you again for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Welland, ON
Reviewed March 12, 2014

This was my 2nd time staying at this hotel, for the rest of my family, it was their first. I was very happy the first time and was hoping for another great experience. I was not disappointed ;)

I did a lot of research before this particular trip and being that we were travelling on the Canadian March Break, everything was expensive. Sohotel however, had very reasonable rates compared to the rest I looked and since I had already stayed here before, it was an easy choice to come back to.

No, the rooms aren't big (NOTHING in NYC is big in terms of size, except maybe the buildings themselves), but our family of 4 stayed in the family room with the 3 beds and it was perfect for us. We weren't there to do cartwheels in the room nor did we spend much time in the room, but the time spent was nice and comfortable. The staff all around are friendly, helpful and knowledgable. An elevator would be nice BUT the staff make the best of it by making sure to have a door man and bell man ready at all times to help with luggage and other things. Parking on site would be nice too but at least the parking was close enough that it wasn't inconvenient. The price to park however isn't so much fun but this isn't the hotel's issue. It cost us 40 plus to park per day which I find outrageous but I guess it's about on par with everything else in NYC, nothing is "cheap".

I had forgotten a toothbrush, front desk provided one. The room above us was making a huge racket the first night and at 2:30 AM I finally had to go and say something. The staff took care of it which I was thankful for. You're going to hear street noise, it's NYC...sirens and horns are normal here, but it was nothing that kept us awake. Beds were comfy, lots of pillows provided, room cleaned and stocked daily and wifi worked well everywhere.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and plan to stay here again sometime. The location is great (Canal Street and China Town are right around the corner) and subway stops just a block away.

Also, if you're looking for a great place to eat and appreciate Italian food, try Lasso. We stumbled upon it our first night and out of 4 nights in NYC, we ate there 3 times. The food and service there were fantastic too.

Thanks Sohotel for another great stay!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 10, 2014

this little boutique hotel is really nice however the rooms are TINY but this is i guess all you need in the big city. the rooms are really expensive but if you go through hostelworld or hostels or hostelbookers i think you find cheaper rooms. the wifi is REALLY good and the location is pretty good too :) the service was great and the best were SO SO comfy

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
sohotel, Director of Sales at Sohotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Thank you for your honest review of our property. We are glad that you found our hotel to be really nice and that you chose us as your hotel in NYC. Please keep in mind for the next time you are in NYC that we have other various room types that offer more spacious accommodations that may suit your needs better. As well, Booking directly via our website will always result in the cheapest price on the web guaranteed.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to host you again soon.

Sohotel Management
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 1, 2014

My One day stay.

-PROS: The interiors are simply gorgeous. I love exposed brick wall rooms. The Bed was super comfy. CONS: NO Breakfast is served.The rooms are EXTREMELY Small. I mean very little space to move about, which would freak out a claustrophobic. I rate $87 dollars for the night I stayed there. $103.48 all together. It is not worth staying here for no more than $90 a night. The rooms are way too small.

2 Thank Jocelyn718817
sohotel, Director of Sales at Sohotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Thank you for your review of our property.

We are glad that you were pleased with our hotel interiors and that you enjoyed our extremely comfortable bedding! We are continuing to upgrade our product and glad you benefited from our efforts.

Please keep in mind for the next time you are in NYC that we have other various room types that offer more spacious accommodations that may suit your needs better. As the oldest operating hotel in the in NYC we pride ourselves in being able to offer an extremely competitive rate with respect to our competition.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to host you again soon.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Liverpool
Reviewed February 22, 2014

A lovely BoHo hotel in an excellent location. Nothing was too much trouble for them and the bell boy was really helpful explaining how to get to various places. Very, very clean and surprisingly quiet but I think that depends on where your room is within the hotel. A fantastic Italian restaurant on the same street called Piacere. Excellent food and a variety of speciality wines. Not to be missed for the warmth and ambiance alone.

sohotel, Director of Sales at Sohotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Thank you for your review of our hotel.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.W e pride ourselves on offering the cleanest accommodations possible and are glad that our efforts reached your stay. Our neighborhood is absolutely wonderful- our bell staff knows this and its our pleasure to guide you through this sometimes confusing city!

We look forward to hosting you during your next trip!

Sohotel Management
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I recently stayed in the Sohotel with my Fiance for Valentine's Day weekend, and we had a tremendous experience. The staff was very welcoming and helpful, even pointing us to a few great bars - and incredible Italian food - right down the street. The hotel was clean, quiet, and a truly great New York experience. I would go back in a heartbeat, and plan on staying again in the near future.

Sunny Isles Beach, Florida
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We spend 2 nights in this hotel. Second day when we returned to the hotel around 4 pm the room had not been cleaned. When I peer into the hall I see a cleaning lady. I asked if I could make the room. When they finish cleaning I approached the door to give them a tip.

I was unaware that they pick up the trash at the entrance with wet towels. I slip and hurt my left foot. I quickly put ice. When I went to report the incident to the employee Jak told me he would notify a Manager.

The next day, still in pain came back to report the incident and no manager spoke to me to make sure I was okay.

I wrote a letter to management and nothing.

If you get to stay in this hotel be careful no to slip by the negligence of the staff. No one cares especially management.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family