“Amazing stay”

Ranked #280 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Miami Beach, Florida
“Amazing stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel. The staff was friendly and extremely helpful, they went above and beyond with their help and suggestions. The room was beautifully furnished and very comfortable. Great location, would recommend to all my friends and family.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
california
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

There is not one good thing I can say about this place. The rooms are tiny, the building is old and therefore noisy. It's as if you sleep with the people next room. The bed was old (leaned on one side). The window didn't close well and I had some air coming in (it was freezing cold) + the noise of the street. The pillows were so old and dirty that I first thought it was my pillow cases that were dirty and asked for new ones. But I soon realized the bad smell and the yellow color were coming from the pillows. The hotel is far from everyhting (but that I could have checked better before going). The rates were incredibly high and not competitive at all, I hesitated to change but feared to lose all my money. And last, the complimentary tea and coffee are ridiculous: only lipton tea (no choice, earl grey, darjeeling, green. A minimum!!!) and only coffee (no decaf coffee).
I hated it since the beginning and until my sixth night and my departure. I had asked that they wake me up at 4:45 AM and they came 5 min late. Then the taxi they had booked for me was late too. After ten minutes I decided to stop a cab on the street instead of waiting for their limo which was "stuck in traffic" said the manager to me (at 5 AM!!!! I didn't see any traffic of course when I went to the airport with the cab).
This place is tiny, expensive, noisy, far away and old. Don't go.

Room Tip: I doubt there is any good room because I had a glimpse at a few other rooms, they were equivalent to...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank colocalifornia

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I am not a hotel snob- far from it. I've stayed in all kinds of hotels across the US and Europe and have never, EVER had such an awful experience. It seemed fine upon check-in. Kitschy decor in the lobby but just fine...long wait to check in, but the doorman did carry our bags to the room. The room was small, but we expected it and again- that was fine with us. Both the room and the bathroom were clean- great. But the worst part of the hotel (and the most important part, if you ask me) is that sleeping is impossible unless you're a very heavy sleeper and don't mind a lot of noise. And I mean a LOT. There was noise coming from all sides of our room- from down the hall, from below, from above, and from the hallway outside. Neither of us could sleep a wink- no exaggeration. I called the front desk at around 5:30 am to complain (using my cell phone as there are no phones in the rooms) and the noise continued. In fact, extremely loud music started blasting at 7:30 in the morning, only making matters worse, of course. It sounded like it was coming from below us (we were on the second floor). When I called, however, and asked for a late check-out (since my husband finally did fall asleep by around 9am), they could only afford us an hour and were simply in a rush to have us out so the next poor saps could check in. No apology- nothing of the kind. They must be used to this complaint. I would never, ever recommend this hotel and of course will never stay here again. Unless I want to have an all-night dance party. Then this would be the place.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere if you want a good room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IMKristaB
Tehachapi, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed at the Sohotel a couple weeks ago. This was my first time to NYC, so I have to start this review with that caveat. That said, I have stayed in many, many hotels around the world so I have some experience to compare this hotel to. In short, I think for the money, the hotel wasn't that bad of a place. The group of us who stayed there were able to walk around most of Manhattan with relative ease: it took about 30 minutes walking to get to the World Trade Center site, and took about an hour to get up to Times Square. Being right next to little Italy and Chinatown made dining options pretty much endless. The hotel itself is rather "kitschy"...the furniture is nothing short of eclectic and this was also the first hotel I've stayed in that didn't have an elevator (a caveat for anyone who requires one for access...) I was up on the top floor, so hauling a couple bags upstairs was a chore for both the attendant and I. I was very surprised by the size of the room...they definitely didn't skimp on "cozy"! I had a tough time making it around the bed if my bags were on the floor (there was no where else to put them) so after I got up in the morning, the bags went on the bed. The room was clean, however, and overall fairly comfortable. All of the complimentary items were refreshed every day, and I think my room was checked at least three to four times a day by the staff (perhaps overkill?) Anyway, I was pretty happy with my stay and if I were back in NYC, I'd consider staying at the Sohotel again. I don't think I'd spend my honeymoon there, but if you're looking for a place that's clean, comfortable, decently priced, conveniently located and (very) cozy, the Sohotel is the place to be!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
geelong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

Great area, fantastic value (especially for new York), the staff were outstanding, loved staying at the sohotel, would recommend it to anyone.
We stayed for a week and the service was fab, close to cares and bars, great little supermarkets to get cheap bagels and coffeesda, also really close to a a laundry mat, little Italy and china town on your doorstep, a quick 2 minute walk to the subway.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kyliegeelong
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel and had an amazing time! The staff was so friendly and accommodating! The location is so amazing! It was easy to get to where we needed to go. I didn't even need to rent a car, everything was in walking distances or a quick trip on the subway! I would stay here again and again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
sohotel, Director of Sales at Sohotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

It is great to hear that you had a first class stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon!

Warm Regards,