“Very basic hotel but excellent location for the price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of St. Marks Hotel

You added St. Marks Hotel to your Saves list
St. Marks Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 St. Marks Place, New York City, NY 10003 (East Village)   |
Ranked #384 of 478 Hotels in New York City
“Very basic hotel but excellent location for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We've stayed at the St marks Hotel twice now, ones I. April 2012 and one in April 2010. It's in an excellent location on the junction of St Marks Place and 14th Street. There are several subway stops within a couple of blocks.

St Marks is close to parts of the university campus, so the area is young and buzzy with lots of cheap (but good) restaurants, bars, yoga studios and tattoo parlours. It's super easy to get around the city from here, you can get to Times Square/Port Authority in about 5 minutes by cab (depending on traffic) or in about 10 minutes on the subway.

The hotel itself is extremely basic. There's a bed, and a couple of bits of furniture and that's it. The rooms are small, but kept very clean. Both times we've stayed we had issues with the water temperature in the shower, it would fluctuate between very hot and very cold apparently for no reason. That being said, this particular problem seemed much improved on our second stay, but that may be because we were on the top floor, whereas we were on the 1st floor during our initial stay.

The first time we stayed our room over looked the street and was extremely noisy from he traffic. The second time we were on the top floor (there's no elevator FYI, that was fun with our suitcases) the room faced out over rooftops, so street noise wasn't so much of an issue, but our radiator made a lot of noise during the night and as the room was high up, it got a lot of sun through the window making it quite warm and the AC didn't seem to work. Luckily it was only April so this was bearable, so we didn't bother reporting it. Other than that, the bed was comfortable, the TV worked and it was clean.

In short, this is a brilliant base in a buzzy, fun, vibrant area, if you're not fussy and just wanting a place to sleep, shower and go. You cannot beat the value for money in terms of location and the staff are fine (but they definitely don't thrive to provide excellent customer service). However, if you want luxury, space, peace and quiet or high levels of customer care, I would recommend a different place. I would definitely stay again due to the location and value alone and the pizza from the restaurant below is awesome, especially if you're returning from a late night.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank CharleyBZ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I stayed here for two nights on my first visit to New York. I brought my daughter to start her freshman year at NYU. The St. Marks Hotel was a better value than the hotels that were recommended by NYU. It was clean and comfortable. The room was small but everything worked fine. The TV and the bathroom were up to standard quality. The noise outside was what I expected for my first night in New York. What I didn't expect, coming from Seattle, was how friendly and helpful everyone was to us. From the hotel staff to the local people in the area, everyone showed us kindness and anytime we looked lost someone would ask us if they could help. The food on this block was great! I would recommend staying in this neighborhood and staying at the St. Marks Hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Ken K
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

My friend and I stayed at St. Mark's for 5 nights. We loved it, and I'd definitely stay there again. If you're researching this hotel because you'd like to save money on hotel expenses, then you should book your room now. It really doesn't matter if your're young/old/single/family- it's about your attitude. If you're ok with the basics, this place will be great for you.

I was slightly concerned because TripAdvisor reviews commented on street noise, cockroaches, prostitutes, cold water, little space, and a long walk up the stairs with luggage. Do yourself a favor and ignore those concerns. There were absolutely no cockroaches, so ignore that 5/1/13 review if you're worried. This is a clean, safe place to stay, but keep in mind that it's a place for budget travelers. (For you Gossip Girl fans- think Dan Humphrey vs. Blair Waldorf)

The East Village/St. Mark's Place is a great area. Transportation, food, groceries, liquor stores, laundry, night life- it has everything you need. If you can't find what you need on St. Marks Pl, then there's a Kmart one block away. 3 subway lines are down the block. We bought a 7 day unlimited subway pass, and went all over the city. The hotel had maps for us.

The hotel staff will help/point you in the right direction with whatever questions you have. They carried our luggage upstairs and brought it down for us. We had to play with the shower for a couple minutes to get the temperature right. The AC worked and must have drained the street noise because I slept well every night. They cleaned our room every day and gave us new towels- thank god because we were super muddy from a music festival.

Thanks St. Marks!

Stayed June 2013.

Room Tip: Our room looked out to St. Mark's Place and was on the third floor. The walk upstairs was rough...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Stephanie A
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Needed a place in Manhattan and was able to score a double room for 2 nights for $150 per night. Rooms were small, basic and clean. Small bathroom, but efficient. No restaurant on site, but plenty of places to eat around the clock. Subway was close along with a 24 hour drug store nearby. No credit cards accepted, only cash. Eclectic neighborhood, but safe. We kept our window open and weren't bothered by street noise. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kdt585
White Plains, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

For 130$ per night a relatively good prices and clean Hotel. Rooms were small but intelligently equipped. Certainly the noise of the City is s.th. to get used to. Also the showers can be threatenning, as they turn hot & cold without prior announcement and are difficult to adjust. The rest is fine, St Marks Street itself a fascinating spot to go out for dinner and ideally located to discover the city walking (East Village, SOHO, Chelsea) or by subway... Enjoy!

2 Thank 742gregory
Rochester, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We naive stayed at st marks about 8 times. The rooms are very small but who spends time in their room in NYC? Subway close by and buses run on 2nd Street. Try the Mark burger just down the block. Great bacon sliders!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Emily F
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I just stayed there for 4 nights because recommendation from my friend (he might not know this hotel but random search for cheap hotel)
Before booking with this hotel, I had read so many reviews from here and was a bit scared since there are many negative opinions, but I booked at last because the price is very cheap :p
When I arrived, I had found that it was better than expected, actually I didn't expect anything from very cheap hotel (compared with nearby hotels), oh and AC was not functional, I told maid and it worked when I came back to my room.

The room was not very nice but good enough to stay, I didn't spend much time in the room anyway.
The room was not too small for me, plenty space to just place my luggage. I had stayed in the room about 3/4 size of this room in Japan, so this is just fine.
Outside room was a bit noisy sometimes since the hotel is at the corner and there is a bar below but I fall asleep easily so I had no problem with that (and I'm not sure if there were noises in the middle of the night because I never woke up at that time)
The location is great, just 1 block away from subway green line and 2 blocks from yellow line.
One, and the only, problem for me is shower... it was so DIFFICULT to control water temperature! it's always too cold or hot, if you have a chance getting appropriated temperature, don't waste that precious time!

I think I will stay at this hotel again if I have a chance visiting NYC in the future for the price reason.

Room Tip: Ask front desk for the lower floor, there is no elevator.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo