“Best Value for Your Money - Best Location in NYC”
Review of St. Marks Hotel

St. Marks Hotel
Ranked #396 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Minnesota
“Best Value for Your Money - Best Location in NYC”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

This is definitely a no frills hotel but aside from that the entire place is unbelievably clean, has a great price for NYC and is in an excellent location. You could spend almost all your time in NYC just in the blocks surrounding this hotel and be completely entertained for days. The area surrounding the hotel seems to be cheaper than the rest of the city and extremely safe.

Another plus is that there are multiple subway lines that run within a block or two of the hotel which make it easy to get to LaGuardia, Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn, Central Park and just about any other area you'd like to visit during your stay.

If you are looking for cheap eats try Mamouns for falafel next store. It is $2.50 for a pita with felafel but I would stay away from the hot sauce as it is unbearable.

My only problem with this hotel was that is was very hard to control the water temperature in the shower. It seemed like just when you got it at the right temp it would suddenly become boiling hot or freezing cold. Also, if you don't like stairs this isn't the place for you along with most other places in NYC!

I will definitely stay here again next time I go to NYC.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MateoVerito

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We normally stay in midtown area .this time we decided to try lower Manhattan .after a taxi driver told us about this hotel and the location, we were planning to spend $250.00 a night in another hotel but that driver saved us a lot we felt bad after that we didn't tip him good .it was excellent choice .you are in the middle of everything you may need ,Restaurants ,Bars ,clubs ,metro station ,shops .....easy check in and check out .rooms are little bite small But Supper Clean bathroom and Shower with White and black Tiles very clean .and shiny for the price of $140.00 including taxes we got a room with Queen bed you can not beat that price .the area is very safe the staff are amazing .very friendly and answering any question you have .rooms in front are little bite noisy the first morning we asked for quitter room the gentlemen in the office changed our room with no problem and he sent someone to move our luggage .
in general if you looking for a clean and affordable place st marks hotel is the right choice .definitely i will go back

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ana m
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Great location ,nice and clean .in the middle of everything ,very safe ,subway is one block away .cleaning service every morning ,staff very friendly I asked few times for a direction the man was very helpful he even offered and hold my bags after check out so we did spend few more hours in the city before getting home .
This is my first time in this hotel and I am so happy to find it ,definitely no more 4 or 5 stars hotels why to pay much money for a hotel while you spending all day outside .
St marks hotel is definitely my place in New York clean,safe,good service ,good location in affordable price .

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lisa J
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Great no frills hotel with excellent location. This is not a boutique hotel, and you won't find nice design details here, but the rooms are spacious and spotlessly clean.

We came from a horrible, rented apartment (only stayed there one night), and were lucky enough to get a room for 6 nights here. The staff (especially Sammy/Sammi) made every effort to make our stay unique, always cheerful and helpful. We left giving goodbye hugs to Sammy - I don't think I've ever tried that in a hotel!

Right next door is an excellent deli where we bought smoothies in the morning, and Starbucks (and the subway) is only 3 mins walk away.

So all in all, next time we go to New York we don't have to go through the hassle of finding a reasonable and affordable hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kroellekanonen
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 27, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at St. Marks for two nights. We were stoked about the location. Like everyone else has said, it's in the East Village, so you're right in the middle of restaurants, bars and shops. We had a room with a queen bed, which was on the top floor. Nope, there is no elevator, but we love to walk and didn't mind the climb at all. Our room was teeny tiny, but we were only in it to sleep. What mattered to us was that it was clean and had good AC, which it did. For $130/nt including taxes, you can't beat it. The location is prime and perfect for us because of where we had to be that weekend. Oh yeah, reserving the room via email was super easy. I emailed the hotel the day before our arrival to confirm, and the staff responded right away both times. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lomigirl
pittsburgh
Reviewed June 26, 2012

If you are looking for no frills, this is the place for you. It is in a great location, but it was this hotel that made me realize I need more from a hotel- like an elevator and hair dryer. Cash only and one block to the Astor subway stop.

In my younger days it would be a great hotel. Like I said, great location in East Village.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pghpgh20
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I took my daughter and her step-sister to see a show at Webster Hall. We stayed here because of the cost and location. I felt safe. The rooms were tiny but very clean with tv and air conditioner. Lots of street noise all night from the partiers at the Ale House below but the air conditioner was able to drown some of that out. Comfortable beds. Old building with stairs only but that was ok.They were nice enough to let us store our bags there after checkout so we could spend the day in the city. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012