“Small but clean hotel”
Review of Hotel St. James

Hotel St. James
Ranked #280 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 25, 2010

We stayed here during our 4 day trip to New York City. Was a little worried after reading some of the reviews but we were not disappointed. The room are old, but clean. The bathroom was spotless. Our air conditioner worked fine. The mattresses are hard but you get used to them. The front desk staff are friendly, especially Joey!!! A couple girls that work the concierge desk were unfriendly though. ALl in all not a bad place to stay if you are loking for a cheap place to sleep. Cranberry Deli is next door..great breakfast. Juniors Restaurant (great cheesecake) is on the same street between Broadway and 8th. Times Square is literally right around the corner!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 21, 2010

While centrally located the room is extremely small. The air conditioner didn't work. The mattress felt like it was about 40 years old. The gentleman that came to work on my room spoke little English. He claimed t was fixed. Bring pillows because these should not be called pillows. We paid 350. I'd rather slept in a sleeping bag in central park. I have no idea how this place could get good reviews unless you were coming from a refugee camp. I'm here one more night but I can't end fast enough.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed September 6, 2010

I called to inquire about location and activities and the rudeness and short,abrupt answers should have been a warning when I booked this hotel. When we got there,the ;young men stated that he did not know when the room would be ready,"come back latter" was his answer and was trying to get us to move so he could take care of other people waiting at the front desk..For a charge of $300.00,we got 2 bars of soap and 2 unwrapped plastic cups in the bathroom. that's it!!!But the worst offense was getting home and finding out that they had charged the full amount to my credidt card 3weeks BEFORE we got there!!!!!!!!Room was clean. You also have to pay to keep your luggage in storage while you wait,I have never been charge for that before.....

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2010

I wanted to take my girls to see New York but did not have the $$ for the Plaza :) Took my chance on the Hotel St. James. Well...... I am so glad I did. Large room and comfy beds. I loved the old New York feel to the hotel. If I could make any suggestions: More outlets (at least a little more accessible) and the shower temp was random and at times scalding. The deli next door was fantastic and The Perfect Pint was our best dinner hands down all week. I would go back tomorrow if I could. Staff was very polite, helpful and funny.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Wonderful location at the heart if Times Square, the hotel is much cheaper than other options in the same area.
Some quality food outlets next door to the hotel, will recommend for Breakfast.
Was able to check in straight away upon arrival.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I recommend this hotel for those who want a place to stay near the times square and the 5th Ave. The employees are helpful, kind, and friendly. The room is nice and clean. The location couldn´t be better. From now on it will be my home in NYC whenever I go. I´d like to thank the Front Desk Manager, and her staff, for the good times I´ve had in my vacations.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2010

This is a great Hotel. A block off of Time Square. Two great Delis located next door. The Hotel is older but is in great condition. The old architecture is great! Our room was spacious and the bathroom was large. View wasn't great, but we weren't staying there for the view..and in New York you need to be 20 stories or higher to have a decent view anyway. The front desk staff was great along with the concierge. Very knowledgeable. They answered any questions we had and their advice was spot on! We will stay there again without hesitation! The price for the location was very good. We got a great deal! Subway was two blocks away, easy walking distance. We did find that to really enjoy what New York has to offer shopping and eating you need to get off of Time Square and experience the real New York. Don't be afraid to do so. It was great. When we visit again we will stay there but probably won't visit Time Square much,would rather experience the real New York City. If you are visiting New York stay at the St. James!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family