“hotel st. james...sleep before you check in!”
Review of Hotel St. James

Hotel St. James
Ranked #275 of 467 Hotels in New York City
ocean city
“hotel st. james...sleep before you check in!”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

just returned from a quick one night to new York for a show...Thank goodness all we had to spend in this place was one night! We usually stay at a Hilton or Marriott in times square but they were all booked so we tried this hotel. Pictures on the website are a little deceiving. We travel frequently and often to New York and I realize the rate is good at St. James but never again. Their is no ice machine. The hallways are very narrow. Wallpaper is peeling. No clocks in room. But the worst thing of all....the bed...We were only in the room to sleep and it was nearly impossible. I could feel every spring in the mattress. We were both unable to sleep at all that night. The blinds in the room are old metal blinds that don't fully go to the window sill....the bathroom had recently been updated so that was a plus...As I said we are used to larger more modern hotels and took that into account when rating this place. If they would invest some money and do a complete overhaul they could have a lovely hotel. The location is perfect but really subpar inside. The mattress was worse then my college dorm room!! Never again!! I would go through the inconvenience of being farther from Times Square to have a better hotel next time if our usuals are booked. I enjoy having ice, a coffee machine in the room, a bed that you can sleep in...a bar for a late night cocktail....None of those things here...

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
StJamesManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel St. James, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Patty F,

There is no doubt at all that we cannot compare to either the Marriott or the Hilton. Both are chain, 4**** hotels and we are an independently owned 2**.

However, when booking our hotel, what has to be considered is whether a coffee machine or an ice machine are worth the extra $250 difference in price between those two brands and our hotel.

When choosing the mattresses, we consulted an orthopoedist who made a very good point: half of the people like a hard mattress and half of the people like it soft, so at least half of the people are not going to like the choice we make, so at least we should make the healthy choice, which is a harder mattress.
And so we did.
As if he had been a visionary, half of our guests love them, and half of the people don't, but a hundred percent of our clients are sleeping on a healthier bed than if we had pillowtops.

We do not claim to be a luxury hotel (we are very aware that our hotel is a budget hotel, and that's how it's marketed); and accordingly, we do not charge luxury rates. We understand your disappointment if you were expecting luxury because what we offer is affordability in the heart of Times Square.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I was a little hesitant to stay here, based on some reviews from last year. However, the more recent reviews were all pretty good, so we gave it a shot. We were VERY satisfied with the hotel. There was plenty of hot water, plenty of nice, thick, fluffy towels, and the room was very clean! The only thing I would suggest is that they put a coffee maker in the rooms. I don't think this would be much of an expense for them, and I think most people would really appreciate it. As all the reviews have stated, the location was perfect! And, we felt very safe at all times. I'd definitely go there again. (We had room 212 -No view, but very quiet)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The hotel is on the older side, but for the money you're paying you cant really expect much else!
The room was very small, but had all we needed. It was November, so we assumed we would be cold at night. The room was so hot we had to sleep with the window wide open, in the morning we would have a colder shower and then rug up to go outside again.
The location was great, and as our room wasn't on the street side, it was quiet.

Room Tip: Head next door to one of the delis and fuel up before you head out for the day
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Oak Creek, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 16, 2013

First I have to say, the location was great. It is a half block from Time Square, short walk to theater district, Rockefeller Center, Radio City and NBC studios. Plenty of places to get anything from breakfast to a nice dinner all on the same block.

This is an older hotel and could use some up dating. Our room was very small but clean and the beds were OK with foam type pillows (which I hate). The air condition was noisy but helped drowned out the noises coming from the street. I was surprised how noisy the street in New York are overnight. Had a problem with the TV, front desk said the cable was out. No clock in the room and was told by the hotel staff, they do not put them in the room but are more than happy to give you a wake up call.

I felt I way over payed to what I got. I know it is New York and hotel are not cheap but I would not stay there again unless a was getting a very good deal on my stay.

Room Tip: If you pay over $120.00 per night, you are paying to much.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Yes this is an older hotel but the location is fabulous! Located on 45th St between 6th and 7th it is a 2 minute walk to Times Square and only 5 minutes walk to the 42nd St subway. The rooms are clean and the beds quite comfortable. The air con was a bit noisy but not enough to stop you sleeping. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful and the price was good for the great location. I wold stay there again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank NewYorkCityaddict
Victoria BC
Reviewed September 10, 2013

The hotel is "quaint" and rooms are tiny but the location to Times Square is great. The bed was comfortable & clean which made me overlook the fact the rest of the hotel could use an over-haul.

The air conditioning unit was unbelievably loud. Every 2 minutes it turned on and felt like I was sleeping next to a motorcycle. The hotel could use an update as the halls, carpet and elevators are all in need of repair/replacement.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
england
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Took my three sons (20,18 & 15) to New York. We stayed in one room with two beds. The room was quite large, much larger than I thought it would be after reading other reviews. We were on the 5th floor facing a building that was being renovated. The room and bathroom was clean. The air conditioning was very welcome as well as it was so hot the week we stayed. The towels were changed everyday and the beds remade. It is very close to Time Square and everything happening. There are two diners next door and a couple of irish pubs and planet Hollywood also a few doors up. I couldn't fault the hotel, staff on reception were friendly. It would have been useful to have a fridge in the room, due to the heat and possibly even a safe, also the blinds could be looked at as the building opposite had lights left on in several rooms and they did shine in quite a lot.. Would definitely stay here again, location was brilliant and ok the view wasn't great but who goes to New York to sit in their hotel room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family