Hotel St. James
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
$188
$161
  • Fitness center
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$153
$134
$330
$305
  • Room Service
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
$187
$118
  • Fitness center
Hilton Garden Inn Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$161
$135
  • Bar/Lounge
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$185
$151
$241
$116
  • Room Service
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$167
$98
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$309
$215
Official Site
  • Room Service
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$229
$100
  • Breakfast included
2,872 results
All reviewscranberry delitimes squaregreat deli next doorgreat locationnew yorkbudget hotelhotel rooman older hotelplace to sleepbit datedclean towelscan't beat the locationyour luggagerockefeller centerbryant parkaround the cornertwo double beds
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Older Hotel that could need renovation, but excellent location next to Times Square and fairly priced. My Room was ok and clean, only the air conditioning was quite loud. Free WiFi in every room. Would come again ;-)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I travelled to NY in Jan 2012 and stayed here for 5 nights as I was wanting somewhere close to Time Square. It is the perfect location- about a 100 m walk to time square and all the shops/restaurants and theatres. I had read on Tripadvisor before I visited that the heaters were extremely noisy- and that is correct.

I arrived early in the morning after a red eye from LA and was VERY happy to be given my room. I went to have a nap before heading out and the sound of the heating was so so loud I thought it was broken and I would wake up engulfed in flames. It is so loud and sounds like it is broken- so not very reassuring at all!! The rooms were fairly small (I was travelling by myself so it was fine) but from what I hear most hotels in NY are very small. Those working at reception were very friendly all the time and helpful as well.
The best thing about the hotel is definately the location- a couple of pubs on the same street and 2 minutes from Time Square.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Rachel G
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I have been trying to recall any positives about this hotel and apart from the location, that is about it. My daughter & I have stayed in many hotels over the years & this one ranks as the worst. We arrived, having spent the day coming from DC, and the evening receptionist was really abrupt with us. He kept on telling us that we had booked for two rooms (one which had been booked 10 months ago, & seeing as we hadn't decided to visit New England a few months before we arrived, it certainly wasn't ours). He wouldn't let it go - he kept on and on. He didn't understand that we have a common English surname and it was a complete coincidence. We then went up to the room in a stuffy lift with padding (this was so you couldn't see the graffiti which has been done to the lovely burnished wood beneath). We had a double room with an internal view of the air shaft and the pigeons, with barely enough room to walk around the bed. The bathroom was small but liveable. It was ok though could have done with a thorough clean. The bed was aged and creaked if you dared to get into it. We weren't disturbed by the road noise but we could hear everything the people were doing in the neighbouring room (and I mean everything). Beneath the TV was a dresser so we were able to unpack and there was a hanging closet along the hallway within our room. Oh and I don't like an envelope left on the side of my bed which says "this is for the tips for your maid". My tip would be - clean the room properly, dear.
I wouldn't describe this hotel as "European" - I would say it is a typical aged cheap city centre hotel.The main public rooms downstairs were so gloomy. There was a lounge area to the rear where they obviously used to have a bar also. With some TLC this hotel could look good but it all felt very weary. Yes, the location was brilliant but that was reflected in the cost of the accommodation - in another city instead of NY, this hotel would cost at least half of what they're charging.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
StJamesManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel St. James, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Suzy,

Thank you for your review.
I'm sorry to hear your stay with us was not satisfactory. We are currently in the process of changing several of the features of the hotel (new furniture and carpeting, for example). We will review who took care of cleaning your room before your arrival and see how we can improve the performance. Our apologies.

Regarding the possible duplication, we want to apologize for insisting, but it's more complex than what it seems. Sometimes -more than one would think- we have seen unintended duplicate reservations through online agencies and many times the guests do not even know that the agency duplicated it, and may get charged for it, that's the reason we are alert about this possibility, for your very own security and protection.
In this specific case, it wasn't only the last name (as a hotel with plenty of international guests, we are rather used to both common and uncommon last names); the second reservation had been made for the same amount of nights, for the same type of room, through the same online agency. The least we could do is make sure there had not been a miscommunication between you and the agency.
Although we do apologize if the agent insisted, the hotel does encourage the staff to look out for these mistakes.
Actually, you may see that some months ago, we were given a scorching review of a lady because the agency duplicated her reservation and when we brought it up to her attention and helped her cancel it, she blamed the hotel.

New York rooms, generally speaking, aren't the biggest, and our hotel being a budget hotel, does not have any larger suites. However, it has been noted by previous guests, veteran visitors of New York, that our standard rooms are typically as big as the standard rooms of surrounding hotels (and some of them, even larger).

We do agree that in any other city, the hotel would be less expensive. So would any other NYC hotel if you transported it outside of NYC, of course. However, we are about the only budget hotel in the middle of Times Square and we make sure that our rates stay accordingly reasonable.

Best regards.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed here with my teenage son for 6 nights. We are now in another New York hotel,so can compare. Hotel St James is excellent value for money,the location is unbeatable as you are literally around the corner from Times Square and many other attractions are very close by. There is also a very nice deli, Cranberry deli, next door where we ate breakfast each morning. It worked very well. The hotel itself is clean and more than acceptable. The fact that it is old was no problem to me..if you want modern and updated go to the Sheraton. When you are in New York, you don't spend time in the hotel room anyway, so for me there was no time to analyse this. The room was a comfortable size and the bathroom, was sizeable enough to move around in, which seems to be quite a bonus in New York. What I really liked we're fresh towels daily and always of very good quality. There was no view, but then again...who cares, you come in late and watch tv anyway. As for air on..it was very hot in New York, but where I come from we open windows, so getting a breeze in through the bathroom window was perfect, the air on was a little noisy, but like I say, I don't rely on air on. All things considered this was an amazing find, and I really enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is old, I get that, but the rooms even have old rattley air conditioners hanging out the window! The noise from the air-con managed to drown out the noise of the street below as you are able to hear everything through the windows! Not the place to stay if you are a light sleeper! I also had really bad asthma while staying there, then realised there was mould in the bathroom on the roof and on the curtin in the shower. The wifi was free but only worked if I sat on the stairs near the lift. To top it off the cleaners left an envelope marked "tips thank you" for us every day, which I found very rude. I would be happy to tip at the end of my stay, but not for them to expect it every day!
All this put aside, the location is amazing as you are right near Times Square and the staff were happy to help with directions.
Won't be rushing back to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Nat,

Thank you for your review.
Indeed, our hotel is in a historical building. The building itself is so old that Mark Twain gave as speech here (before it was a hotel) a few years before his death.

The individual window A/C units that you saw are rather common in NYC. Not only most of the houses have them, but also many 3*** and most 2** hotels, specially if they are not new construction.

Please, when you find something like mold in the bathroom's ceiling (which it does happen since it's an area housekeepers don't clean daily) report it as soon as possible to the front desk so they can change your room and block the previous room for thorough cleaning and painting.
The housekeepers have orders to report these issues so we can act on them before a guest has to notify us, but they are human and sometimes forget to either look for the signs, or notify it.
We sincerely apologize for assigning you a room that had not been properly inspected.

The envelope for housekeeping tips is also rather conventional. It doesn't imply that you must give tips, and it definitely doesn't mean you must tip every day; tips are strictly voluntary and only a way to appreciate the service if you enjoyed it. The envelopes are there because many people do want to tip for the service and the only way to signal to the housekeepers that the money is theirs is through the envelope (if the money is left elsewhere, it will not be touched, or if it's a check-out, it will be stored as a Lost & Found).
It isn't even the housekeepers' idea, the hotel discovered it was convenient to have it in the rooms after being requested envelopes for the tips on a daily basis.
If you found it offensive, we apologize, but it was meant to help.

Best regards.