“Mould in the bathroom and air-con hanging out the window!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel St. James

Hotel St. James
Ranked #276 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Mould in the bathroom and air-con hanging out the window!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is old, I get that, but the rooms even have old rattley air conditioners hanging out the window! The noise from the air-con managed to drown out the noise of the street below as you are able to hear everything through the windows! Not the place to stay if you are a light sleeper! I also had really bad asthma while staying there, then realised there was mould in the bathroom on the roof and on the curtin in the shower. The wifi was free but only worked if I sat on the stairs near the lift. To top it off the cleaners left an envelope marked "tips thank you" for us every day, which I found very rude. I would be happy to tip at the end of my stay, but not for them to expect it every day!
All this put aside, the location is amazing as you are right near Times Square and the staff were happy to help with directions.
Won't be rushing back to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
StJamesManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel St. James, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Nat,

Thank you for your review.
Indeed, our hotel is in a historical building. The building itself is so old that Mark Twain gave as speech here (before it was a hotel) a few years before his death.

The individual window A/C units that you saw are rather common in NYC. Not only most of the houses have them, but also many 3*** and most 2** hotels, specially if they are not new construction.

Please, when you find something like mold in the bathroom's ceiling (which it does happen since it's an area housekeepers don't clean daily) report it as soon as possible to the front desk so they can change your room and block the previous room for thorough cleaning and painting.
The housekeepers have orders to report these issues so we can act on them before a guest has to notify us, but they are human and sometimes forget to either look for the signs, or notify it.
We sincerely apologize for assigning you a room that had not been properly inspected.

The envelope for housekeeping tips is also rather conventional. It doesn't imply that you must give tips, and it definitely doesn't mean you must tip every day; tips are strictly voluntary and only a way to appreciate the service if you enjoyed it. The envelopes are there because many people do want to tip for the service and the only way to signal to the housekeepers that the money is theirs is through the envelope (if the money is left elsewhere, it will not be touched, or if it's a check-out, it will be stored as a Lost & Found).
It isn't even the housekeepers' idea, the hotel discovered it was convenient to have it in the rooms after being requested envelopes for the tips on a daily basis.
If you found it offensive, we apologize, but it was meant to help.

Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Maitland, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I could sit here and rant on about the negatives of this hotel but, for the price we paid, I don't believe I have the right! We stayed here for 2 weeks with our 2 children and don't regret it for a second!
This hotel is a 60 second walk from what feels like the hub of the world! It is safe, clean (serviced daily) cosy and the staff are helpful enough. This is the point where I give JOEY a thumbs up. He was helpful beyond his job description and always such a happy face to see at the desk. Always had fun words to say to the kids and was upbeat all the time.
You can walk absolutely everywhere from this place and I would do it again. I am dying to go back to New York even though I have only just returned home. Hotel St James is definitely where I will be staying.

Room Tip: Third floor has good wifi !!!! Without a room with decent wifi for 2 weeks...we would of died!! LOL
Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank NicH_aus
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We found this hotel in a great location, 2 mins walk from Times Square, great delis nearby, restaurants & Irish pub a few doors away. The staff were friendly & helpful, however our room was worn out. No problem with hot water but carpets & window blinds need replacing. Lifts old & ugly with wall coverings. Noise was a problem & a very old window air conditioner was fitted during our stay. I would not recommend it to friends until it had been updated.

Room Tip: Request newly updated rooms if possible.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
COLUMBUS
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed there with friends in early June. We stayed there with a recommendation of one of my friends. I don't know what they were thinking! The only thing going for the hotel was what wast OUTSIDE of the hotel and definitely what was inside. The deli's and Irish pubs nearby were great and the nearness to Times Square. The hotel had spotty Wi-Fi connection. The elevators were very small as well as the hallways. The hallway rug on our floor was worn down and almost a tripping hazard. I shared a room with two queen size beds with a friend. The room size was OK, but nothing to rave about. The windows had mini-blinds with no drapes so the sun woke you up in the morning whether you liked it or no. The bathroom was very small and did not even have a vanity. We had to put our toiletries on the window sill. I was told this was a typical European style hotel. It had no restaurant or bar , noice machines, no coffee for the rooms. The concierge and hotel staff were friendly and were "international" lt was not a place that you wanted to spend anytime in;. WAY OVERPRICED.

Room Tip: My tip would be to find a place elsewhere.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank COL39701
Dear Col,

Thank you for your review.
We are sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us.

The hotel is, indeed, in a privileged location and is surrounded by very convenient stores (the two delis mentioned, one of them opens 24 hours; a 24 hour pharmacy; a wealth of restaurants that open till rather late; most of NYC's landmarks).

We are a budget hotel, so although are rooms are a decent size and we put a lot of care in the customer service and housekeeping departments, we do not offer amenities. That way, we can keep our rates much beneath the swankier hotels in our area (Times Square).
There isn't any food or beverage related service, including vending machines or an ice machine, but both needs can be satisfied by the two delis which are literally next door (and I am not very liberal in my use of "literally"; they truly are right by the side of the hotel).

The rugs, both in the hallways and in the rooms, are being changed as I type this (and so is the furniture). It is certainly about time and we are happy to be able to offer a better presentation.
I am also very happy to say that we finally change our Wi-Fi provider, thanks to the feedback we have been getting from guests like you, and at present it is working very well.
We appreciate the help you have given us in convincing the owners to make the needed upgrade and apologize for the spotty reception we did have during your stay.

We take pride in our customer service and appreciate your comment.
The international background of our staff is an asset, since thanks to it we can communicate more proficiently and help guests from all over the world (the staff members all speak English and some of them speak Spanish, Russian, Polish, some Italian, a bit of French, some Portuguese, Mongolian, German... and I may be missing one or two languages).

Best regards.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

I found this hotel very convenient right off Times Square. There is a deli 2 doors over for morning coffee and lunch and some Irish Pubs a few doors down for late night meals or drink. One of them had really cheap drinks and good food. It's also close to all the tour bus stops. The hotel itself is very old and somewhat dated but it was clean, quiet and reasonable priced for NY. The staff were friendly and helpful (the night clerk Mark was a character and made me smile :) ) Only a few minor suggestions for the hotel that would make it better ..a hook on the bathroom door, an alarm clock in the room and a shelf beside the bathroom sink (that's a big one) Other than that I can't complain and I will stay here again as I visit NY quite often.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Deanne100
İstanbul, Türkiye
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Pros: Hotel is in the heart of Manhattan, a few steps to Times Square.
Staff was friendly. Price was low compared to other hotels in the same area.

Cons: Furniture was tired. The elevator was too small.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple