“A hidden Gem”

Ranked #276 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Powell, Ohio
“A hidden Gem”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

My 18 yo so stayed in this hotel after hurricane Sandy and he loved it! He said it was quiet, quaint and the rooms were bigger than what you norally get in NYC. They also did not over price the room like some of the other hotels. I paid for this room so I think I have a right to give it a thumbs up for taking in my son at the last minute and treating him well.

Room Tip: I have more of an appreciation for this tourist area that I normally avoid "Time Square".
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Annette M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Hotel St. James is half a block from Times Square and for a first trip to NYC it is perfect. Our room was spacious, clean and quiet because we faced away from the street. We were on 12th floor and mainly looked into office windows but we spent little time in our room. The desk clerks were friendly and helpful as was the 'concierge/booking agent'. There are pay lockers where one can store luggage ($5). The big lockers will take 2 large suitcases and hand luggage. There are many informal eating places nearby. WiFi is free. We walked to all 5 Broadway shows we went to as well as TKTS, NBC, Radio City Music Hall and Rockerfeller Center. We feel lucky to have had this hotel included in our holiday 'package'. There is no air conditioning but our windows opened - it was October so it was fine.

Room Tip: At first, we were given a room on the 3rd floor facing other offices. No air conditioning and we co...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank backnbarry
fargo
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

This is an interesting hotel. It is far from new and is past ready for a serious update. But the rooms were clean and everything worked. Carpeting is threadbare in many places, mattresses are a bit saggy and pillows are lumpy. However, the location is perfect. There is a deli next door and several pubs near by. Two blocks to Times Square.

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank dan c
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I didn't knew much about this hotel when I booked it in hotels.com. It was the cheapest hotel in Manhattan and the location looked good.
In reality we (me, my wife and two kids) found the hotels pretty nice.
It is located just 200 meters for the center of the times square. The staff were great, especially Joe which was Ultra nice and very friendly (he made the hotels looks much nicer).
The rooms are comfortable and pretty much clean (little more wouldn't heart though).
There is no breakfast in the hotel but there is a nice Deli right next to it and starbucks just across the street.
To make a long story short - It is well worth the money. It is not for those who want to stay at the hotel just for fun. It is good for putting your head in the night' to take a dissent shower and relax in front of the TV.

Will return !

Room Tip: The is a shuttle service (64$ to JFK).
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Noam E
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed here in April of this year for 2 weeks and we cannot fault the place. The staff were absolutely amazing and friendly. The accommodation was cheap and exactly what we wanted. The 24 corner store next door provided drinks and snacks and hey, you're in New York City, and a few blocks from Times Square, why would you want to eat in your hotel room?! Brilliant stay and highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Paul C
Warrington, Cheshire
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My daughter & I decided to go to New York this year. Both of us spent hours searching for accommodation, then after 4 hours on a hard kitchen chair, I found Hotel St James. It was within our price range & seemed to be close to Times Square. I showed my daughter my "find". We of course looked at TripAdvisor for help & there wasn't anything that stood out as being horrendous.
On 30th August we set off on on an Aer Lingus flight, having to change in Dublin, where we cleared US Customs there. The only negative about that is, we had bought water in Manchester Airport (after going through customs) we hadn't drunk it all & had to throw it away.
We took a NY yellow cab from the JFK. We booked in & were told where our room was & that we needed to leave the key at reception whenever we went out.
We went upstairs, the room was spacious, had 2 double beds, air con (quite noisy- but this blocks out any other noise from outside). I went into bathroom to make sure it was clean, it was. My daughter came in too & poked her head out shouting that she could see Times Square.
We freshened up & went out. It took less than 5 minutes to reach Time Square. Amazing.
As there was no breakfast provided, the following morning, we went 2 doors down to a Deli. It has all different kinds of things for breakfast, bagels, porridge,hot breakfast to order, cereals, fresh fruit buffet, small cartons of milk, juice, bottled water, help yourself tea/coffee. We always saw native New Yorkers, eating their breakfast there & also saw some come to collect their's to take to work with them. You could also get freshly made sandwiches to order. Later on in the day it serves lunch, then evening meals. What an amazing place, food was good & reasonably priced.
The hotel is within walking distance of most things, it's on W45th Street between 6 & 7th Avenue (Times Square - is on this avenue).
Top of the Rock, Empire State are on 5th Avenue along with good shopping! The only time we caught the subway was when we went uptown to Central Park, American Museum of Natural History& Ground Zero.
My daughter meticulously planned our trip, so we could go everywhere we wanted. Which is a must with so much to see & do.
Staff at Hotel St James were courteous & answered any questions we had. On day 3 we met Joey, who not only gave us good advice, but tried to get to know us asking where we came from etc, by our penultimate day we didn't need to tell him which room we were in, he knew. I really appreciated that he tried to make our stay nicer in his own way. Thanks Joey you're a star!!
All in all, we had a truly brilliant stay in the most amazing City in the world.
Would I go back to New York? Definitely. Would I go back to Hotel St James, most definitely YES. Would I recommend the hotel to others? Yes without a doubt. It was reasonably priced, clean & well located. It's isn't the Plaza, so if you want luxury you need to pay for it.
New York is not a cheap place to stay, the hostels with dormitories & shared bathrooms were only marginally cheaper.
DO NOT GO ON THE AIRPORT SHUTTLE BUS, which is booked via the concierge service in the hotel!! It took us 3 hours to do a journey that we were told would take 1 hour! There were some ladies from another hotel we picked up on the way who were on the verge of being late for their flight.
It would have been less traumatic in a Yellow Cab & only a few dollars more.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Jonnokool
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The location is great. Just a half a block away from Broadway and less than that from 6th Avenue.

If you are looking ofr a luxury hotel that you will spend a lot of time in, this isn't the place for you. The rooms are good size but basic. The bed was comfortavble and the room and bathroon was clean. The barhroom looked like it had just had the walls redone and a new sink and tub installed. Fruniture was sparse and consisted of two bedside tables, a table with two chairs, and a low 4-drawer chest that suitcases could be placed on. It had a HD TV mounted on the wall. The closet was narrow and I had to hang clothes turned a bit because it wasn't deep enough to fit the width of the hanger. The hotel is a bit dated and the room needed some fixing mainly in the way of painting. If you want a hotel that is just for crashing at night after spending the day in the city, this hotel fits the bill and is (at least when I booked it) reasonably priced.

If you need a place to keep your luggage either before or after your stay thay has self-serve lockers for $5 per 24 hours that will easily hold 1 full sized suitcase plus three roll-aboards.

Our room was on the 11th floor and our friends were on the 6th floor. We both would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends