“Location is perfect!”
Review of Hotel St. James

Hotel St. James
Ranked #284 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Stayed here a few weeks ago and although it is old-fashioned you cannot argue as the location is faultless...2 minute walk from Times Square. We were at the front of the hotel so it was fairly noisy but as we were so tired we didn't notice. If you need a cheap place in the centre of New York then stay here. The location makes up for everything that is more old-fashioned. Empire state building so close aswell.

Room Tip: If you can stay at the back of the hotel. Less noisy

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Myself and my wife stayed here 1 night on Saturday 1/14/2012.
We had a 3rd floor room with a king size bed.
This room reminds me of the studio apartment I had in Manhattan without the kitchen.
The steam heater and the faux fireplace is exactly as I remember it.
Elevator was a bit slow so we walked down but we waited for the elevator to go up.
It was a bit awkward to turn in the key at the lobby but after few times it becomes normal.

No tea or coffee machine in the room, but there are two deli's just outside the front lobby which has great selection of coffee, drinks and variety of snacks at a very reasonable price.

Rooms were clean and plenty of towels.
Location was definitely the key factor.
We saw 3 Broadway shows in 2 days. TKTS was only few blocks away.
Price was the next factor.
I would definitely recommend this to others and I would personally return again.

Room Tip: Ask for room on lower floors so you can walk up and down. Not wait for the slow elevator.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dadof3boys
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Stayed at the Hotel St James for a week commencing 13th June 2012. This hotel is almost faultless and I would highly recommend it to anyone staying in New York.

We were initially told that we were able to check in from 3pm onwards but we could store our luggage beforehand if we were early. Due to an early morning flight from London Heathrow we arrived at the Hotel St James at about 11.45am. Upon arrival reception staff told us that the room had been cleaned early and we were allowed in from midday. This helpful attitude continued throughout our stay and the staff were phenomenal in their approach to customer service.

After reading some other reviews on Trip Advisor prior to our trip, I was slightly concerned that the room may be of poor quality. However it was the complete opposite. The room was large, clean and well equipped. The housekeeping maid comes around everyday to make the beds, empty bins, change towels etc. In my experience the rumours of 'bedbugs' were also not the case in our instance. Air conditioning unit in room if it gets a little too hot. Iron and Ironing board also provided. The bathroom was equally clean and well equipped with soaps etc.

Lockers are provided for 24 hours for $5 so that guests can store their luggage if they, like us had to check out at midday but were not flying until that evening. This allowed us to store our bags so that we could enjoy one last day in New York. We were also invited to continue to use hotel facilities until we left for JFK.

Location is perfect, 1 minute walk from Times Square, but far enough away that you cant hear the goings on all night. Deli next door for food was also useful and well priced. Within easy walking distance of the subway as well.

The only one potential let down was the concierge service. Although they did manage to get us Broadway tickets quickly, the concierge's grasp of the English Language wasn't the best which may prove problematic for some people. This however was not a real issue and they still provided the information we needed.

The staff were Brilliant in general, especially the reception guys. The hotel runs a system of handing your door key into reception when you leave, and then claiming it back on your return. This allowed us to gain a good relationship with the staff and made us feel very welcome in the hotel. In particular one reception man, short with black hair and glasses took customer service beyond all expectations and made our trip that much more enjoyable.

If staying in New York this is a safe bet for quality, cleanliness, good customer service and safety all for a reasonable price. Highly recommended. 10/10 A+!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for room 212, it was huge, and has been recently renovated.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank TheEconomyTraveller
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Check in was flawless, staff very friendly. Based on other negative reviews I was really surprised. King room was perfect. For the location and price, this hotel cannot be beat. You are not at the Ritz, so dont sweat the small flaws.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Chaz96
Reviewed June 15, 2012

My son and I stayed here over spring break. I got a room here at a very good price - almost as low as the cost of a nearby hostel. The room was very clean. I read a few reviews that said the rooms were small, but considering the size of an apartment in NYC, I didn't think it was that small. We had two double beds, and if we had been traveling with a third person, we probably could have squeezed in a rollaway bed. The bathroom was very clean and looked like it had been recently updated.

A couple of cons - there was no screen on the window. We were on the 12th floor and the window opened all the way, but there was no screen or any other safety feature. The bottom of the window is about 2.5 feet off the floor, so I kept having panic thoughts of my son (who was 14 YEARS old at the time) tripping and falling out the window...a little paranoia there. lol However, I would not recommend this for someone traveling with a small child. Also, I could have sworn the rooms were advertised as having air conditioning. This one did not. I'm guessing they put window units in during the summer, but since it was still March, they hadn't put them in yet (it was unseasonably warm while we were there). That's just my guess, anyway.

The other thing that was a little odd was that the door lock looked like it had been broken before. I suppose if someone is really paraniod, this might be an issue. However, they have someone at the front desk 24 hours a day. As a matter of fact, when you go out, they ask that you give them your room key and they will give it back when you return. Unheard of in this day, but it was kind of cool because you get to know the front desk people and they get to know you. They will ask for ID if they don't recognize you, but otherwise, they'll just give you your key. Again, I suppose if someone is super paranoid, this might be an issue, but I felt very safe there - more safe than staying at a motel with outside entry in the middle of nowhere.

Also, if you're not used to sleeping in a noisy city, I would recommend bringing ear plugs. The windows are super thin and you can hear traffic and people ALL NIGHT - it is only a couple of blocks from Time Square, so be prepared for traffic noise. I actually slept with a white noise track on my MP3 player all night, and as soon as I dozed off, I didn't notice the noise anymore.

Aside from these small issues, I thought it was a great place, and I would definitely recommend it. They have a couple of nice lobby areas, one of which has a couple of dining tables, as well as a room with large lockers for rent for $5. That was great for us because we checked out at 11am, but our flight didn't leave until 6pm, so we locked up our luggage, went out to see a few more sights, came back and watched TV in the lobby for a while, then left.

This is a super deal in a great location, and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2012

This could not be better for exploring Manhattan. A short distance from Times Square, Broadway shows, subway station, and an easy walk to Grand Central station. The rooms we stayed in were on the 9th floor, large very clean, clean towels each day, no problem with noise. There were a selection of cafes within a few metres of the entrance for breakfast, and a short walk to 9th avenue for restaurants.

1  Thank G D
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We used this hotel for a four night city break. Upon arrival we were greeted courteously and efficiently by a very friendly and enthusiastic desk clerk called Joey. The staff were really helpful and informative throughout our stay.

The accomodation is a little tired and dated but, the beds were comfortable and the room was clean. It was equipped with a flat screen TV with a choice of over 30 channels. The bathroom was pretty small but perfectly adequate. Being right in the centre of New York, the room was fairly noisy, especially as there was some construction work going on further down the street.

The location, being one minute's walk from Times Square, was perfect for our requirements. Central Park, the Rockerfeller Centre, the Grand Central Station and the Empire State Building are all within an easy 15-20 minutes walk. The subway on 42nd Street is a mere 5 minutes walk away,

A very useful facility was the use of a locker (cost 5$) where we could store all our luggage (4 cases) on the day we checked out. For late risers, it is convenient to know that check out can be left until 12 noon.

The Dunhill cafe is adjacent to the hotel. Very useful for those wonderful American breakfasts. And, of course, you can bring this back to your room. I would recommend The Perfect Pint, an Irish bar located a few doors down the street for a pleasant nightcap.

In short, you don't fly all the way to New York to spend all the time in your hotel room. The St. James was the perfect base for our holiday(being centrally located) and we crammed plenty of sight seeing into our trip. The only time we spent in the hotel was to sleep after a thoroughly enjoyable but exhausting day experiencing the sights.

2  Thank AlanPanther