“I liked it!”

Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC
Ranked #224 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 8, 2007

We stayed 2 nights 27th-29th dec and discovered on their web site just before leaving that rates had gone down so we modified our booking for the cheaper rate and better room! We got a deluxe king for under $400. The room as previous poster said was not very big but bathroom very nice. I wish we had been on a higher floor for the view. The staff were lovely. We got complimentary breakfast which we weren't expecting and it was delicious and served in the elegant japanese restaurant. We ate in the area at Pastis, Buddakhan and Spice market. Soo convenient! We had booked SoHo Grand for the rest of our stay which we also enjoyed and found to be similar though bathroom at Gansevoort much nicer.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank carrom

Reviewed January 2, 2007

Quite Simply -- this hotel is highly overrated. The service, as noted by others, is lacking. I was looking at the Hudson and this Hotel for a three day stay in New York over New Years. I chose the Gansevoort for its location in the Meatpacking district and reputation as a fun area to stay. The district is entirely commercial during the day, and only at night does the area come alive. Most of the people coming into the area are coming for the local clubs. But if you plan on seeing the rest of the city, the location puts you a further cab ride away. I reserved the grand deluxe room. The room was small, but clean and had a modern design. The bathrooms were nice for NY standards. The view was of the meat packing district and the river. However, the heater in the room would not turn off (call one to the front desk). Then the mini bar key was locked with no key (call two). Then the remote control did not work (call three). Not exactly what I expected for nearly $700 a night. The lobby is small and the rooftop bar is equally small, especially when tented during the winter. The NY party was packed with very little seating and completely indoors (also ran $175 per person just for drinks and a few appetizers). For my last day I decided to try the W Tuscany on Park Avenue. It had a small lobby...but the rooms were just as nice as the Gansevoort and MUCH bigger for $319 a night. Although a more business location...the hotel was much closer to most of NYC's attractions. I also visited the Hudson to see what I missed out on. The Hudson still has the Gansevoort beat on style. The Library Bar and main Bar are beautiful, as is the garden bar. Just a much more hip hotel.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JCMNewportBeach
Reviewed December 13, 2006

I've stayed at hotels around the world, and this is one of the best. I took the red-eye from Los Angeles, and arrived at 6AM. The hotel was beyond accomodating, and made sure that the first room available would be ready for me. I stayed in the Grand Deluxe room, with a fabulous view overlooking the Hudson. From the moment you enter the hotel, you are completely taken care of. The room was spacious, chic, with lots of light. Room service was a little pricey, but worth it after a long flight. Even if you're going for a short period of time, you MUST go to G-Spa, and treat yourself to the Fitness Facial, which was designed by Sonya Dakar, and uses silica-rich Fiji Water to hydrate. G-Spa is great if you're sober...but it's amazing after a night at Bungalow -- it's dim lights in the spa are perfect for a hangover. Regardless....it's a fab hotel. World-class.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank taraloftis
Reviewed December 10, 2006

I got caught up in the swanky music and images of luxury when I booked an overnight stay at Hotel Gansevoort. Had I not been so impulsive, I would've saved myself a lot of money.
The building itself is gorgeous with modern features. It's easy to locate and is within a few blocks from the unique shops and restaurants of the village. The shops around the actual hotel are a bit too high end for my taste and budget. I booked a 'deluxe superior' room and was placed on the 4th floor.
The comfort and syle of our room made up for the view of the construction crane. The room was spacious and perfect for two people--ample closet space, plasma t.v., desk area with cd player, and sitting area built into window with cushy pillows and power blinds. The king-size bed was the best thing I've ever slept in; perfect mattress, duvay blanket, goose down pillows. The bathroom was large with plenty of countertop space around the sink. Besides the deep tub, the room was impeccably clean and well maintained.
The staff is pleasant, friendly and accomodating. The views from the rooftop lounge areas are fantastic and better than the actual scene at night (Euro-trendyish). I'm satisfied with the Gansevoort but will keep it real next time with my booking.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with friends
4  Thank stoligirl
Reviewed December 9, 2006

Normally when we stay in Manhattan, we tend to gravitate to the Soho Grand or 60 Thompson.

Both were booked so we went with the Gansevoort.

Are we ever glad we did!

Our room, 1118, was wonderful. It was huge for a NYC hotel room. Two double beds with pristinely white Frette sheets and comfortable pillows. A CD player with a couple of specially made CDs. a small flat screen TV. Nice robes. Great bath amenities. A hair dryer that worked! Fabulous shower with loads of room. Great water pressure. Lovely chocolates upon turn-down. A little (tiny) balcony so you could stand outside and get some fresh air. It was definitely the most pleasant room I've stayed in at this price point in NYC. A continental breakfast was included and there were tiny little pastries and heaping bowls of blackberries and strawberries. Also, muesli and yogurt.

The bar downstairs was quite pleasant. The vaunted upstairs bar was kinda fun -- at least being outside was nice. The drinks were overpriced and the wine list uninspired -- but you're not going there for a well-made cocktail.

The Meatpacking district is not my favourite area but you're just a hop, skip and a jump from the West Village, Greenwich and Soho (if you like to walk -- we do).

My only quibble is that the staff is quite cool -- they don't really ever connect.

Would I go back? In a flash. It was a WAY nicer room than what the Soho Grand or 60 Thompson have to offer at the same price.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled on business
5  Thank Leslie F
Reviewed December 8, 2006

Wanted to stay in the meatpacking district since we were there for a close friend's art show in SOHO. We checked into the room a little early with no problems. The room had a wonderful street view which helps you tap into the neighborhood's vitality. The room and bathroom was well designed, though New York sized (smallish). Two friends actually used the pull out sofa for a nap after walking around the city with us. The bar had phenominal views with city people in the week and people from the tri-state area on the weekends. The room key allowed us to jump in front of the two hour wait to get into the bar on a weekend night.

If you want to be neighborhood centric, this is a good choice. I think we will stay on the Lower East Side next time. The SOHO Grand and the Mercer seem to be the competing hotels.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank Shanehoustonlittle
Reviewed December 4, 2006

I have to admit I expected at least some "attitude" from the staffers since the hotel is in the trendy Meatpacking District. I have never been more wrong. The staff members that we encountered were all extremely pleasant, helpful, and most importantly not rude or snobby to "us regular folk". Extra kudos to John the Doorman-he was the first staff member we dealt with and he was an excellent example of all that followed. The room (we stayed in the superior room category) was spacious by NYC standards, the bathroom was very clean (not a bit of mold in sight as found too often in bathrooms elsewhere), the turn down service actually happens (most places claim to have it but it never happens & they bring clean towels at turn down so you don't have to wait until housekeeping shows up the next day). Not only is the hotel great but the location is fantastic-you are in the middle of The Meatpacking District and in walking distance to the W. Village & Chelsea. The Gansevoort has pushed the Bryant Park out as my #1 place to stay in the city

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family