“G SPOT!”

Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC
Ranked #212 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 19, 2006

Wow!! What an incredible experience..Arrived Thursday the hotel was already jumpin'. After a very efficient check in we took a quick swim in the rooftop pool and enjoyed a steam in the spa before we headed to Ono, the restaurant situated within the hotel. Beautifully designed with great service we enjoyed a few sake cocktails at O Bar before demolishing some amazing sushi. After, we headed up to the roof bar, great views, great crowd and retro music that wasn't an endless string of rap songs played at a level to render the art of conversation useless.

On Friday we explored the area, NYC's ever so trendy meat packing district ,great shopping as well as some fine restaurants and clubs. After taking a nap on one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on, we walked across the street to Pastis (great food and atmosphere). The spa converts at night to a great lounge bar called G spot the crowd was hip and sexy and just the place for young unattached out of towners to meet young unattahded New Yorkers! ! Yet suprisingly despite this being on of NYC's hippest bars the doormen were incredibly gracious (which in my opinion is unheard of). To cap off the enitire experience the hotel staff were warm and accomodating and completely devoid of the young model that work at these hotels are completely hopless and generally as shallow as a bird bath!

Go party, have fun and enjoy this chic, sophisticated and very friendly hotel!! LOVED IT!!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with friends
2  Thank camdentown

Reviewed November 17, 2006

This place is just OOZING trendy. Brand new, nice, clean and trendy rooms and a great location are the ingredients you need for a fun NYC stay. I love the Korres bathroom products. Bed was comfortable and room was quiet from street noise. Beware though, when they offer the rroms with the outdoor decks.The outdoor sitting areas are directly next to the hotel's AC/vent compressors. Not as relaxing as it sounded while checking in. The room was small but I noticed that ours was one of the smaller ones when I check the little chart on the back of the door. I kind of expect that in NYC but they do have larger rooms to offer.

Located 2 blocks from the subway, in the hot Meatpacking district. It is surrounded by trendy shops and restaurants. Great spot for celebrity watching either in the hotel's bars (you can get the concierge to reserve you entrance instead of waiting on line)or peak at the secret entrance across the street to the ultra exclusive .and illusive Soho House club.We found out later that while we were sleeping away in our room, major celeb's were cavorting in the floors below.

Staff was extremely friendly, helpful and attentive. Breakfast was a nice plus. Rooftop pool would be great in the summer.

We will make this our new NYC home!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Msk6261
Reviewed November 15, 2006

This was my first visit to the Hotel Gansevoort and I found that it was more than I expected. I arrived at the front desk and was greeted promptly by the desk agent who was most accomodating to my special requests. When I opened the door to my suite I found it to be well appointed. I really loved the vibe of the room and thought the overall atmosphere of the room was great. The bathroom, which is one of my pet peeves, was spotless. I've stayed at many hotels and this was one of the cleanest ones I think I have encountered. The hotel overall was everything I expected and so much more! Kudos to the Hotel Gansevoort and the staff. I will recommend this place to everyone.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jake&friends
Reviewed November 14, 2006

Our executives of our company ONLY stay at the Gansevoort! Whether you're in the city for business or pleasure the Gansevoort is the place to stay. Our company chose the Gansevoort to have our annual client party in the G Spa & Lounge downstairs and it was a hit ~ as one guest said it was "suana hot"! During the day I got a message in the spa which was so relaxing and hours later the same spa I was getting a massage in was transformed into an intimate lounge with hot beats and candles. At the end of the long day my room was a haven which had music playing when I arrived and not to mention one of the most comfortable beds ever!! I can't wait to go back! I highly recommend this hotel and you can't leave without checking out the spa/lounge downstairs!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed November 14, 2006

We stayed at the Gansvoort hotel, New York in September 2006. The hotel is in the Meatpacking area, close to Greenwich Village. Earlier in the week we had stayed in W Time Square in order to be at the heart of things, but wanted somewhere completely different for the second half of our stay. We arrived by taxi on a rainy afternoon and the whole area looked drab and uninteresting. Inside the hotel we were made welcome and shown to our rooms which were wonderful. The beds soooooooo soft and decor very modern and everywhere was spick and span. Lots of nice little touches that make you want to smile. Still raining, we decided to have a sandwich and a couple of glasses of wine. This we took on the rooftop terrace, where, had the weather been different, we could have enjoyed a swim in the outdoor pool! The food was scrummy, the downside came when we got the bill. We had paid $150 for 4 BLT sandwiches and two rounds of drinks! So what, we were in the trendiest place in New York, although in daylight, we didn't think so. I should have researched the area more fully.
That night, the rain stopped and we decided to venture to Greenwich for some food. Had a great night but when we got back to the Hotel the whole area had been transformed into what I can only describe as being the hottest place on earth! Wonderful bars, restaurants and fabulously gorgeous people!. We thought that we had arrived on a film set. To our delight the Gansvoort has one of the hippest bars in town and there was a huge queue waiting to grab a place inside. Of course, being residents, we were welcomed with open arms by the doorman. Once inside we took the lift to the same bar as earlier, the door opened to a wall of music and a great atmosphere. The rest is history,
One on the best Hotels I have stayed in in New York (including the Waldorf Towers ambassadors suite ), great location for sights, shopping, food and best of all, people watching. Well worth the hefty price tag!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
9  Thank rawspaws
Reviewed November 12, 2006

After its new found status as the world's trendiest hotel, we decided to give the Gansevoort a try. As monthly visitors to NYC, we have stayed in many hotels including The Peninsula, the W Hotels, The Westin, The Pierre and the Mandarin to name a few. My first experience of the hotel was not a pleasant one as due to a 5 hour flight delay, I spent 9 phone calls and hours trying to contact the Concierge to arrange a Limo to collect us from JFK. All I ever got was an answering service and after having to leave a message, I received no confirmation that a limo was sent and we were forced to arrange our own transport. In fact, whilst the concierge was most pleasant when he was at his desk, he was not to be seen on many occasions.

The hotel itself is lovely but does not compare to the Sanderson in London which it beat into 2nd spot. In fact, I would have to say that the Westin on Times Square or the W on Times Square gives it a good run for its money. The Gansevoort’s rooms are extremely small (we booked a deluxe room) but pleasant. The beds are also very small by hotel standards and are not the normal Californian king beds you find in most luxury hotels. Again, the rooms at the Westin compare favorably with similar décor, are also bigger and you get the Westin “heavenly bed” which cannot be beaten. The Gansevoort's bathrooms do however offer more space.

The hotel itself is in a great location if you want to make use of all the clubs and bars in the area and we certainly did care of some guest passes from the Concierge. The rooftop bar is also a great way to end off the night. The long queue of people getting in and out of the rooftop bar does detract from the exclusivity of the hotel unfortunately. The major problem with the hotel is that the rooms are not very well sound proofed and sleeping is almost impossible after a late night out with the noise and hooting going on below. At least the room provides a CD player to drown out the noise and we made full use of it even after getting back to the room at 4am and looking forward to some peace and quiet.

The Gansevoort is no match for the elegance, professionalism and class of The Peninsula and I will return to the Peninsula for my next trip. I would also say that the Westin is far better value for money and worth a consideration if the 5 star hotels like The Peninsula, Mandarin or Pierre are not in your budget.

All in all, the Gansevoort was a big disappointment for a hotel we had heard so much about.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Warren B
Reviewed November 9, 2006

The hotel is beautiful. The rooms were lovely with very nice bathrooms. The bed was so comfortable infact it was the only hotel bed ever that I have wanted to take home. The breakfast was great - fresh fruit & berries, bagels etc. The only complaint was the noise - from about 12.00 - 4.00 am the noise from outside the hotel was horrendous. The hotel has a nightclub and bar which the whole of New York seem to descend upon between these hours. The shouting and general noise when these people leave is unbelievable. The street is full of taxi drivers all sounding their horns (probably to negotiate the hoards of people in the street). That the hotel does nothing to make these people be quiet upon their departure is even more unbelievable especially given the cost to their guests to stay there. We had about three hours sleep on the Friday and Saturday night, the Sunday was lovely - a whole nights sleep (as you can guess not many people attending the night club on Sundays!!).

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple