“Fun NY experience”

Ranked #205 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Sydney, Australia
“Fun NY experience”
Reviewed September 30, 2006

We spent five nights here and overall had a good stay. The room and bathroom were of a very high standard and the bed was extremely comfortable. We paid a bit extra for a larger room on a higher floor and would recommend that others do so. The MPD is quite a noisy area at night (and early in the morning!) so you will probably appreciate a bit of distance between yourself and the road if you want a sleep!

The location was great and we really felt like we were having a real NY experience in the heart of the MPD. We loved the roof-top bar and it was a real treat to be able to skip the huge line out the front and duck straight up there after a night out.

Due to a burst water main there was no water in the hotel for the first 14 hours of our stay (absolutely none!). While we acknowledge that these things do happen we felt that it wasn't handled well and the hotel did nothing to make up for this inconvenience. There were no apologies made when we rang for updates, we had to request that bottles of water be sent up (and we had to wait for over an hour to receive them) and no deduction was made to our bill for the fact that breakfast was not served despite this being included in our room rate. Given the prices we were paying we did expect more.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DenJenK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Finnish first
Melbourne
Reviewed September 28, 2006

I stayed in the Gansevoort for three days on business. The front desk seemed totally unconcerned that they had messed up the booking (they had me down for two nights not three) - their only answer was to waitlist me for a room. This was later sorted out. A fax I asked them to send was sent, with two pages missing. The room I had was pretty basic but the most expensive I have ever stayed in. On the other side of the coin, the location is good if you want to be in a relatively quiet, yet interesting, part of town. Overall apart from these problems I found the staff okay but you expect a lot for this money and the service is not as super premium as the price.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank Cdwrld
Bali Indonesia
Reviewed September 25, 2006

I recently stayed at The Gansevoort on a business trip. I found the location, service and facilities to be excellent. I had read that the rooms were small but I did not find this at all. They were spacish and modern and the beds were among the most comfortable I have slept in! The rooftop bar was a great place to wind down after a day of work and we were never disturbed by noice from the bar. Joel, the General Manager is so personable and nothing was too much trouble for him.
The breakfast is another highlight....fresh berries and granola were delicious!!
I would defintiely recommend the Gansevoort and look forward to staying there again next year.

Stayed August 2006
1 Thank C_Lincoln
London, Milano, NYC, and Geneva
Reviewed September 25, 2006

Just like to drop a note to express my absolute pleasure I had at the Hotel Hanswevort this past week. The staff was courteous, professional and most importantly friendly. Mr. Michale Yee at the concierge went way beyond his call of duty and i could not be happier with my stay and look forward to my return to your wonderful hotel.

Best Regards,
Paolo M. Liuzzo
paololiuzzo@yahoo.com
[-]

• Liked — Services rendered concierge, lounge on roof
  • Disliked — constant voicemail wiht regards to room service where I would find my self going up three floors to get a drink at the bar to bring back to my rooom instead having to wait 30 minutes for room service to call me back
  • Stayed August 2006
1 Thank pliuzzo
San Francisco
Reviewed September 4, 2006

Great place if you have money, are young and have a sense for adventure. The service is perfect. There is lots of attitude in the air, but I guess that is part of the show.

The room decoration is very modern. When we first got into the room, there was a bottle of Patron silver waiting for us, the music was playing and there was ice in a bucket. That is my idea of a great setup.

The hotel also made us reservations at hot night clubs and gave us VIP passes.

Again, great place if you are young and hip.

• Liked — The music, the people and the pool
  • Disliked — The bouncer at the bar was not cool.
  • Tips/Secrets — Be ready to spend money and have a good time.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carlos R
new york
Reviewed September 1, 2006

The rooftop pool was the smallest pool i've ever seen, it's a complete joke. There's nothing glamorous about this place, the rooms are small, the lighting in them makes you look like a sick person, the room wasn't ready at 3pm on the day we arrived, and front desk people didn't seem to think this was a problem. I don't know who the hotel caters to, I just can't imagine anyone fabulous in the tiny badly lit rooms or by the kiddy pool upstairs...

• Liked — locatopm
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Muranoblue
Seattle
Reviewed August 28, 2006

This is not a hotel for a business traveller or anyone planning on holding a meeting. If you are over 40 and not a celebrity lookalike, forget getting anything that resembles service.

My colleagues and I were holding a meeting at the Hotel Gansevoort (at the client's request). We utilized their meeting room that is in the basement. It reminds one of a bomb shelter rather than a "uber chic" hotel. The air conditioning wasn't working. Although they did get it working by the end of the day of our meeting.

Every time I went to the front desk to ask fo something I felt like I was inconveniencing the staff - and that's when I managed to get anyone's attention.

It took over an hour and 4 calls to the concierge and the bell captain to get a bellman to assist with my bags.

I guess I'm not fabulous enough to be welcome at the Hotel Gansevoort.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business