“Good Hotel - Great Area”

Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC
Ranked #211 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We made hotel reservations at the Gansevoort Hotel in the Meatpacking District of New York City for 4 nights. A fairly good deal as you get a discount for the 4th night. However, it was the most expensive time to go as it was the New York Marathon and hotel prices reach the sky. For the 4 nights, it was over $2000.00 for a nice room, good bathroom, free wifi and a swimming pool on the roof. The disadvantage of this is it is outside and although the water is heated nothing else is. The best part of the hotel is the proximity to the meatpacking district, Greenwich Village and Soho. There are several good restaurants within a short walk of the hotel and some great shopping if you are interested. You can also trek to Ground Zero and walk on the high railway line, the entrance situated close to the hotel. As an oldie, I have to say the hotel is geared to the youth, but being a people watcher, I enjoyed the experience of watching the fashion parade. Good hotel but expensive.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jennifer Z
Gansevoort_HG, Digital Assistant at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Jennifer Z,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We’re glad you took advantage of our promotional discount – it’s always nice to save! Our rooftop also has an enclosed lounge area where you can relax and indulge in the city views and signature cocktails. We tend to attract a crowd that’s young at heart, however we welcome all ages with open arms. If you stay with us again, we’ll point you towards more exciting opportunities in our trendy downtown location as well as throughout Manhattan. We hope to see you in the future.

Gansevoort Meatpacking

Write a ReviewReviews (1,877)

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed here one night to celebrate a birthday and had an absolutely wonderful time. Check-in was smooth and efficient, with our room available earlier than we had expected (check in is normally 3 pm, but they let us check in at 12 pm). Our room (a Grande Deluxe) was elegantly appointed and large (by NYC standards) with an exceptionally comfortable king-size bed and a cute seating area with a great view of the river. We had a particularly fun night, inviting some friends to our room for a drink, then moving to the rooftop bar for dancing. Prices are high, but, of course, this is one of the prime locations in NYC so it's within the range that you'd expect.

Room Tip: Our grand deluxe king-size room on 9th floor had slightly obscured, but nice, view of river.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Gansevoort_HG, Digital Assistant at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Dear Grey_JV,

Thank you for the wonderful review. We’re delighted you had a truly memorable experience. A night out with friends in Manhattan is always a good idea and we’re glad you did so while taking in our rooftop views. If you stay with us again we’ll point you towards even more nightlife possibilities in the trendy Meatpacking District. Indulge in a chic dining experience at the renowned Buddakan restaurant, fully equipped with Asian inspired cuisine and signature cocktails. Kick off an exciting evening with their Elevation cocktail – Starr African rum, King’s Ginger, goji berries and honey. The fun is endless in the city that never sleeps. We hope to see you again!

Best,

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Checked in on Friday November 1, Checked out Sunday November 3rd.
Room was small. The lighting in the room was very poor. It was very dark. The lighting in the bathroom was poor as well, made it challenging to put makeup on.
Visitied the rooftop bar it was ok, but I dont see what all the hype was about. The looby bar was quite small, and they didn't allow you to bring drinks to your room.
It was a very young, party people crowd. I thought for the price point it would draw a more sophisticated crowd, but that was not the case.
We were woken up both nights or mornings by drunk people yelling in the hall, slamming doors, etc...
Nothing was included in the cost, not even a cup of coffee in the morning.
Not the best atmosphere and value for the money.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Gansevoort_HG, Digital Assistant at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear JLW1176,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We’re disappointed your stay wasn’t what you hoped it would be. We’re currently working on additional lighting amenities for the room, which will provide a well-lit place for applying makeup. As far as the nightlife noise, our rooftop is a hot-spot and tends to draw a lively crowd. We monitor our hallways to ensure in-room guests are able to rest, and we apologize this was not the case for you. We are looking into the disturbance and are reviewing your incident to prevent this from happening again. Perhaps you would prefer our uptown location at Gansevoort Park Avenue. It is away from the heavier nightlife that the Meatpacking District attracts and ensures a quieter atmosphere. If you decide to give us a second chance, our reservations team will be happy to provide a room that fits all your requirements. Please contact digital@theghg.com with any questions or further concerns. Thank you.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I have always enjoyed the gansevoort, so when my friend rented a suite for Halloween we were excited. We were making a bit of noise and turned the music down and told guests to leave due to capacity constraints, but they treated us like criminals. The staff wanted to ask us to leave when my friend had reserved one of the best suites. They had little care for maintaining a relationship with the high paying customer and treated us like we were at a motel. Then I left my jacket in the room and when I called security about it I confirmed they had it twice before I could pick it up. When I arrived at the hotel they refused to give it to me without the permission of the person who paid for the room, who was out of the country, therefore wasting my time. I understand that condition but after if called security twice, there seems to be a difference in protocol depending on the mood of staff, who to say the least treats the guests as abhorrent school children. Quite frankly I would never again book a room there or visit a friend who had. My friend also had a similar experience with leaving belongings in a room, which they never released to her.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Hh1900

Dear Hh1900,

Thank you for the review. We are sincerely disappointed with the quality of service you experienced during and after your stay. We have to make sure all hotel guests are content, which is why you were asked to turn down the volume. However, we apologize for any misunderstanding or negative impression you received from any member on our team. Your satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us. We will look into these issues and speak with the involved staff members immediately. Please contact digital@theghg.com with any further concerns or questions. Thank you.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

It's a great hotel in a great location. The rooms are a nice size compared to others in the area. Lots of great shopping in the area.

The staff were accommodating and attentive. We tried the Spa in the hotel. It was just OK. Probably wouldn't visit it again.

The feather pillows are way too thin. The minute you put your head on one, it just flattened out! I requested a foam pillow which was the consistency of a good feather pillow so that worked out. The bed was a little too hard for me, prefer a softer mattress. But it wasn't terrible.

Overall it was a nice stay.

Room Tip: Get a corner room and try not to get a room that faces the street. It's VERY loud. Comes with...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tom S
Gansevoort_HG, Digital Assistant at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear BlkBetty,

Thank you for the review. We’re happy you enjoyed your stay at our downtown location. Exhale Spa offers various relaxing therapies and exercise classes. Perhaps a core fusion session would interest you next time. It’s great that our team provided a pillow that better fits your needs. Ensuring a good night's sleep can make all the difference and we're thrilled yours was restful. Since you enjoy the trendy Meatpacking District, next time we’ll point you towards all of the wonderful opportunities in the area. Chelsea Market is a must-visit destination for a plethora of cuisines that will be sure to delight your palate. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed October 26, 2013

I recently stayed at the hotel about a week and a half ago. I originally booked the superior room, but as soon as I checked in I was upgraded to a suite, which was amazing. The room was very clean and attention to detail were definitely there. My room had a door that opened out to the city. I was able to actually see the Empire State building. I was off to Alaska the next couple of days so I decided to just eat in the hotel at the bar and I got they're marinated skirt steaks, which was incredible. After me meal I went up to the rooftop bars and got amazing views of the city skyline. The next day I asked why I was upgraded to a suit and they said because it was my first time. I was very grateful and appreciative for the upgrade and I definitely will be coming back again and more frequently. Great place!!!

Ron

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Hon2013
Gansevoort_HG, Digital Assistant at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear Hon2013,

Thanks for the wonderful review. It was our pleasure to provide an upgrade upon arrival – we want every guest to experience the “suite” life. We’re thrilled you noticed our attention to detail, from the décor to our personalized service. Next time, hopefully you’ll have more time to explore what the city has to offer. Our ideal downtown location is rich with renowned eateries and bars. For a trendy atmosphere paired with delicious cuisine, try the Asian fusion restaurant, Buddakan. The opportunities are endless in the city that never sleeps! We look forward to your return.

Best,

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Very quirky hotel. We were staying in new york for a long weekend as we had a wedding to attend. The hotel is very conveniently located for sightseeing around New York. It was my boyfriend's first time there so we did a lot of the typical tourist stuff. We suffered a bit with jet lag and as it was a weekend we wanted to pack so much stuff in. Due to the club in the basement and the bar on the roof it meant the sleep quality was not so good. I could just hear the music beat till the early hours.

Having said that the bar and the rooftop pool were awesome in the daytime. Was so relaxing up there and the views were good.

We did a boat trip round to the Brooklyn Bridge and Statue of Liberty and whilst on that we saw a driving range..I think it was Pier 64 (10 min walk from hotel). You could hit balls out into the Hudson river/into the net. That was really cool. I would also recommend the Chelsea market for breakfast as that is only 5 mins away.

Room Tip: There is a bar is on the top floor and a club in the basement so I would say try a middle room to av...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Nicola_stirling,

Thank you for the review. We sincerely apologize you were kept up due to nightlife noise. Our rooftop lounge is a hot spot with its panoramic views and signature cocktails, however we want to emphasize that our guests come first. It sounds like despite the less than ideal sleeping situation, you made the most of your trip. Next time you’re in the city, check out the Highline located right by us for unbeatable views of the city and the Hudson River. If you stay with us again, we’ll point you towards activities like this and will place you in a room that better suits your sleeping needs. Please contact digital@theghg.com with any questions or concerns. We hope to see you again!