Two features dominated my experience at the Gansevoort (Meatpacking) in New York:
- The bed. The bed and bedding are exceptionally comfortable. I’ve spent nights in 10 different hotels across the world so far this year and this was without question the most comfortable. I slept better than I do at home and indeed so well I even commented on it to one of the reception staff who informed me that quite a few guests ask where they can source the same beds and bedding.
- The pool. I was in New York in mid-May and it was a little cool when the wind blew, but the pool was nicely heated and perfect for an afternoon dip. It’s a real treat to be in a pool on a rooftop with great views in any city and this was no exception.
Other good points are the location with so many interesting places to eat, drink and shop a short walk away around Meatpacking. It’s relatively close to the red and blue lines at 14th street on the subway too if you need to go uptown / further downtown.
The atmosphere on Saturday night was a little rowdy / lively downstairs but that’s to be expected for the area. I found it fun rather than intimidating (the door staff were polite and in full control) and unlike other guests who have commented on here I found there to be no noise issue in my room on the 12th floor.
Aspects of the hotel which I didn’t like so much included:
- the size of the Superior room (also a bit odd calling it “superior” when it’s the smallest of the rooms so not really superior to anything) though I understand that’s common in NY,
- the limited range of equipment in the gym which only sufficed for a couple of days working out, and
- the unwelcoming reception we received upon arrival. That is down to one member of staff only though as the others were helpful, accomodating and knowledgeable. We found some good restaurants on their recommendation.
Overall I really enjoyed my stay and would gladly return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC Hotel, with breathtaking 360 degree panoramic views of New York City and sunsets over the Hudson River, is the first and only luxury, full service resort in Manhattan’s vibrant Meatpacking District. Gansevoort Meatpacking offers a chic retreat from the urban metropolis that redefines the world of luxury accommodations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TravelClick, Priceline, TripOnline SA and Odigeo so you can book your Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gansevoort Hotel New York City