“Best location in Meatpacking”

Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC
Ranked #205 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Cologne, Germany
“Best location in Meatpacking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Nice Hotel, perfect Service and best location in Meatpacking. Near to Chelsea Market, HighLine, a lot of nice Restaurants are near. The Rooftop Pool is insane! The Rooms are very well equipt, modern and with very nice beds. Please don´t complain about some noise, this is a city hotel!
All in all someting for people who are looking for a Hotel in a City that never sleeps. Nothing for Welness freaks, these should choose something in the middle of nowwhere, guys, this is NYC!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Gansevoort_HG, Community Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Henning,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience. The Meatpacking District is full of bustling city life and with that comes a variety of activities and sights to see. We're thrilled you embraced what NYC has to offer. If you do need more relaxation for the mind body and soul, Exhale Spa might be the perfect pit stop for you. Get a massage or take one of their renown Core Fusion classes before dipping into our heated rooftop pool. We hope to see you again soon.

@HotelGansevoort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Finnish first
Old Bridge, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Our night started on the rooftop with some awesome music. Three martinis and I was done. We stayed in a suite. Everything was wonderful from the service to the food. The gifts were a wonderful addition to our stay as well. The rooms and suites are plush with luxury bedding and toiletries. Very clean and quiet. I love the decor. Highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013
Hotel_Gansevoort, Community Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Tashakane,

Thank you for your lovely review. We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay and kicked back with some of our delicious martinis. Maybe next time you'll take a dip in our heated rooftop pool or pamper yourself at Exhale Spa. We hope to see you again soon.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Do not stay here. Impossible to sleep at this hotel. Windows don't seem to be double paned. You can hear honking, yelling and street noises. I was on 9th floor first night and asked to be moved to 12th and highest floor. There were two separate altercations on my floor in the middle of the night including endless screaming. Security did not have a is handle on the situations. I will never stay here again

2 Thank fenlinc
Gansevoort_HG, Community Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear fenlinc,

We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences during your stay. It is unfortunate that there was a disruption on your floor and we are looking into the situation so this does not happen again in the future. Should you choose to give us a second chance, we would love the opportunity to surpass your needs and service an exceptional experience. For any questions or further concerns, please feel free to reach out to digital@gansevoorthotelgroup.com. Thank you for your review. We truly value your feedback.

Canadian in London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Meatpacking is still a hot spot neighbourhood in NYC, with lots of great restaurants, shops and nightlife. Pastis is awesome for brunch, and we went to Serafina this time as well which was delicious. The High Line is a very short walk away, easy walk to the galleries in Chelsea, and a longer but doable walk into Soho.

The thing about staying in Meatpacking is because people go there to party all night, it's not necessarily a great place to actually get sleep. Hotels like Gansevoort and Standard have very popular clubs, and the music is likely to keep you up a bit. We were somewhere mid-hotel and could still hear bass and treble.

Beyond that, I liked staying at the Gansevoort, but definitely wasn't perfect. I also wouldn't consider it a 5 star hotel, it's a 4 and a bit star hotel with a trendy pool and great nightlife scene built into it. If that's what you are looking for, it'd be a great choice.

The first room we got was tiny and the interior design was pretty disappointing. After asking for a tub they moved us to a room that was actually a bit larger as well, which was great and appreciated. That changed the initial impression from bad to decent.

The design of the hotel came across as dated. The "art" on the walls looks like it's from Getty images, staged photographs of people lounging. All the fixtures seem a bit tired, like it would've been amazing when it first launched and hasn't seen a lot of investment since.

The food was average to bad, probably the biggest disappointment. Having breakfast in Toy was bizarre, who wants to have breakfast in a club? This should be hosted on the roof. The room service was just as bad in terms of food quality, among the worst I've had at 4-5 star hotels, and didn't stack up to the rest of the hotel.

The rooftop pool was a nice place to lounge, great views and the staff were friendly.

The 'bouncers' at the door when you come back to the hotel after being out at night were fine, but still annoying that you have to answer about where you are going.

So yeah...great place to stay for the scene. Probably not the best choice for business or with families. Didn't like it at all at first and was disappointed compared to the reputation, but grew on me by the end.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank g99
Dear g99,

Thank you for your detailed review. We agree that the Meatpacking District is an area filled with a high volume of night life and restaurants, which can get noisy at night. This type of environment is great for people who enjoy being in the NYC scene. We think our Park Ave location may be a better fit for your needs since it is much quieter. We're glad you enjoyed our rooftop pool and was able to take in the amazing views from the top. Should you choose to stay with us again, we will make sure that all your needs and preferences are met. For any questions, feel free to contact digital@gansevoorthotelgroup.com.

@GansevoortPark
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

As restaurant owners my wife and I appreciate great service. The staff at the Gansevoort was excellent, attentive and gracious. The workout facilities were well kept and the penthouse bar the perfect compliment to. Its also in a great location and makes it easy to get around the city. We had an excellent time and will certainly be coming back.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mark,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review. We're thrilled you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of our rooftop bar as well as our complimentary gym. Maybe next time you can check out one of our Exhale Spa's Core Fusion classes or pamper yourself with a massage. We hope to see you again soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Our stay was amazing, we celebrated our anniversary and service was great,we had a great time at the rooftop, the rooms were excellent.Plenty to do in the area, it's a hot spot. We will go back soon!!!

• Stayed April 2013
Hotel_Gansevoort, Community Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Eknb,

Thank you for your wonderful review and congratulations on your anniversary. We're thrilled you were able to take advantage of our rooftop. The view from the top is quite breath-taking. It was truly a pleasure having you and we hope to see you again soon.

Lakewood, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Last time I was in this area, I stayed at the Dream downtown. Being underwhelmed by that place, I decided to try a different spot in the same general location - Meatpacking District.

The Gansevoort had an excellent package whereby you could get a bottle of premium liquor, 2 VIP passes to a local nightclub, and a discount on spa services along with your room.

I was met by a friendly doorperson upon arrival in my cab. They whisked my bags away while I checked in. Although it was only 11:30 a.m., the front desk was happy to check me into an available room, or I was free to wait until another room became available. As the immediately available room was a smoking room, I was concerned it might stink like motel smoking rooms. The woman at the desk immediately offered to bring me up to the room to make sure it was to my liking. I decided to take the room sight unseen and was pleased to find it clean and fresh smelling.

The room was large by NYC standards - certainly larger than a more expensive room at the Dream. And, as the front desk woman excitedly pointed out, it had a balcony! While it was great to have some fresh air, "balcony" is a relative term. Don't try and fit more than one person out there! It had a great view and I did enjoy it.

The room had great linens, nice robes, a decent bathtub - though the temperature controls were a bit confusing, as I don't usually gauge my water in degrees Fahrenheit. The giant woman on the shower curtain was a bit disconcerting however.

There are two bars that I am aware of in the Gansevoort. One is the rooftop bar, which was pretty and bright and sunny. The drinks were delicious, albeit expensive. Fortunately, the package included 2 drinks at the rooftop bar. The smaller bar, Toy, is downstairs and very intimate, although it is open to the lobby. The bar itself is small and the bartenders are very friendly and happy to chat.

At night the lobby becomes something of a nightclub in and of itself. That would be great if I were in my 20s, it seemed like a lot of fun. As an old person of 40 however, I preferred to head back to my room late night. The doormen check to make sure you are staying at the hotel before allowing you in, and one doorman actually removed a drunk guy who stumbled into the elevator after me. Glad to know they are looking out. Despite the club like atmosphere in the lobby, the room was peaceful and quiet.

The only slight problem we encountered was that instead of sending up the bottle of vodka we ordered, they sent up Patron. No big deal at all and I have no doubt they would have promptly fixed it if I had bothered to call down, which I didn't since I like Patron.

My only other comment is that on checkout day, we requested a late check out from the front desk. The woman was accommodating but firm that 12 pm was the latest should could give us. Only later when she realized that we had a package that allowed for 2 pm check out did she amend that. My feeling is that she probably could have given us the 2 pm from the get-go, but all's well that ends well.

The staff at the Gansevoort encourage people to write reviews on Trip Advisor. They are confident in their service and they should be - I will definitely be staying at this hotel again. It is now my #1 hotel in the Meatpacking District.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel_Gansevoort, Community Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear CaitlinMagner,

Thank you for your lovely review. We are delighted to be your #1 hotel choice in the Meatpacking District. We will do everything in our servicing power to keep this title for future visits. We apologize for the bottle request confusion, however it's wonderful news that you enjoyed our Patron even if it was sent by mistake. It was a pleasure having you and we look forward to seeing you again.