“Overrated and Overpriced”

Ranked #206 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Richmond, Virginia
“Overrated and Overpriced”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I stayed here for a bachelorette weekend and was really expecting a lot more than we got. The decor is really cool and the rooms are nice enough, but nothing really out of the ordinary especially for NYC. They lost our reservations even though we called to confirm four hours before we checked in. Nthe front desk manager was really nice, but we had to downgrade from a suite to one room with a king bed. That's a little tight for six women. They did refund the difference between the room costs, but only to exactly what it would have cost had we meant to book a single room. The rooftop bar staff was rude to our bachelorette and took very little interest in our group even though we tipped well and ordered a lot of drinks. To make it even worse, a dog barked literally non stop from three am til six. When we called the front desk, the guy who answered actually said and what do you expect me to do about it? With all the choices in NYC and for the price of these rooms, I'd stay somewhere else.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank NorthSideLvr
Hotel_Gansevoort, Social Media Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear casimpson86,

We apologize that your experience at our hotel was not up to the standards we strive to maintain. We have taken steps with our bar staff and reservations department to improve customer satisfaction. We appreciate all the feedback you have taken the time to share with us, as it is an important for our further development. In the future, we encourage you to contact our Community Manager at Digital@hotelgansevoort.com for any reservations, comments, or concerns. We hope to have the opportunity to prove our continuous pursuit of perfection in hospitality in the near future.

@HotelGansevoort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Finnish first
Teaneck, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We checked into the Gansevoort for a one night get away. We mentioned to the lovely manager who checked us in (and got us an excellent room with a river view) that it was our 20th anniversary, and when we returned from dinner that evening there was a bottle of champagne waiting for us. The same manager gave us vouchers for cocktails at the bar next time we visited because we had to wait 15 minutes for our car when we checked out. I don't remember the last time I experienced such attentive customer service, and that was the same with every staff member we encountered. We loved the rooftop bar--our cocktails were delicious. The pool was lovely, though we wished there had been room for a few more chaise lounges when we showed up at 4 in the afternoon. The room was comfortable and stylish, and the neighborhood is really fun. We will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Gansevoort, Social Media Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Nancy E,

It was an absolute pleasure reading your review. We are delighted to hear that your 20th Anniversary was a wonderful celebration, and that our staff was able to make your experience a memorable one. We hope you will return for your 21st Anniversary and many more. Please do not hesitate to contact our Community Manager at Anna@gansevoorthotelgroup.com for any future requests or reservations at any of our locations. Thank you for staying with us.

Cranford, New Jersey
Reviewed August 17, 2012

The Gansevoort - where urban chic is infused with warm and good quality service. A common sense concept but not always easy to find.

Booked this hotel at the last minute for my husbands birthday yesterday as a surprise instead of travelling home after dinner and a Broadway show. The weather was gorgeous and coupled with the Gansevoort it was a fabulous and refreshing overnight escape. First impressions are key and Luisa at the front desk immediately gave us such a warm welcome and she wished my husband a happy birthday as they must have noted it when I called. She informed us that our room wasn't ready and if we wanted to wait at the bar or the rooftop lounge she would find us when it was available. This is when we were impressed for the second time by Raul. He immediately stepped in to take our bags, assured us we would be contacted when the room was ready and was professional but personable. I was glad the room wasn't ready as the roof top was amazing with breathtaking views - a cutting edge spot to sit out on a Thursday afternoon and soak up NYC. True to their word Raul contacted me after about 20 mins and we even got an upgrade! My husband enjoyed a pre-booked treatment at the spa and then we had dinner right across the street at the Spice Market. By the time we returned from Times Sq to the MP district it was hopping and the rooftop was electric. A little noisy for a nightcap so we sat downstairs at the outside bar which was perfect and provided some great people watching. I will admit service was a tad slow here even though it wasn't very busy. This morning before leaving the city we took advantage of the rooftop pool. It wasn't crowded before 10am and was so unique to have a morning dip looking at the skyline in a gorgeous setting. The downside was there wasn't any coffee or tea available at the rooftop and it wasn't complimentary in the lobby either but it was worth the money to sit at the pool having coffee and croissants!! Overall it was a great experience and I feel this hotel offers style with more warmth and sincere staff interactions than my recent stays at The James or The Trump SoHo and the elevators work a lot faster at the Gansevoort!! I have a pre-planned NYC trip with the girls next week and we are considering treating ourselves by staying here rather than my friends apartment as it checks all the boxes - location, amenities, engaging backdrop, quality service and attentive staff to ensure repeat business. I felt more than just a guest at a top class hotel. Thanks again Luisa and Raul for making the stay so memorable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear MPeg39,

Thank you for not only complimenting our staff, but for taking the time to name our extraordinary team members. We apologize that you were unable to order coffee or tea on our rooftop. Although service does not begin till noon, we are currently working with in-room dining to offer food and beverage to those guests requesting assistance. Were you able to return with your girlfriends the following week? Upon your next visit to New York City please contact our Community Manager at Digital@hotelganseoovrt.com. We hope to see you soon.

Haslemere, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The Good - The hotel, on the whole, is great, our room was excellant, lovley hudson view, 12th floor. Clean and tidy. Breakfast simple but good. Front desk efficient and helpful. Location is fantastic. We love the meatpacking vibe and the morning runs along the Highline were lovely.

The Bad - The Roof top bar is cool BUT the manager has a desperate Napoleon Syndrome. He told me that the bar was run independantly of the hotel. Sadly his attitude and behaviour let the whole hotel down. The worst of it is he's English, an embarrassing example of a fellow countryman.
The Spa - we didnt have a treatment but did venture down to the gym. It's small and the equipment is old and a couple were broken. not a patch on 'The London' gym.

The Ugly - english bar manager's attitude!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Barry O,

We are deeply sorry that our rooftop was unable to meet your expectations, as well as our hotel's standards. We are currently working with their team to improve overall customer service. In regards to our fitness facility, Gansevoort is in the process of updating its machinery, and making some additional touch-ups needed throughout the room. After reading your review, I looked into the status of the fitness facility’s completion, and it seems the new machines are on the way. This means our gym should be up to par upon your return. If you would like to enjoy the view of the Hudson River from one of our rooms in the future, please contact our Community Manager at Digital@hotelgansevoort.com.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I spent two nights at the Gansevoort on a weekend - when all taxes were added the total was close to 700 dollars.

Positives:
- Great attentive staff. They helped me to change to a room with a better view straight away, with a positive attitude
- The bedsheets are to die for, extremely comfortable, silky and smooth - you can slide into them. Heavenly.
- The hotel decor and lighting is sexy, although solo travelers like myself will probably not benefit so much from that as couples will
- Beautiful rooftop
- If you like to be in a constant party mood, this is a hotel for you - with all the lounges within the hotel, music and rooftop scene happening constantly, plus around all the Meatpacking District nightclubs

Negatives:
- Breakfast is not complimentary. And you're paying $300 a night. Even cheaper hotels will compliment their guests with that...
- Fitness center could be better

Final conclusion: Great stay, but overpriced.
I've been to the Plaza and the Palace, and trust me I know value. You will find places in NYC that are more stylish, offer better value (breakfast, other amenities), for the same money or less. In fact, in Soho you will find them for less money. And the New York Palace is practically on the same price level, but offers a lot more than this hotel does. That should be enough to make ya think!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Miguel V
Hotel_Gansevoort, Social Media Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Miguel V,

We apologize that your stay did not live up to our standards. We have recently placed an order for new machinery for our fitness center, and are expecting to have the room completed with brand-new equipmentin the near future. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us, as without guests like you – we wouldn't develop in-depth insight into the perfect experience. On another note, we are happy you enjoyed our “heavenly” beds. It is always nice to sleep in a comfortable bed when you’re away from home. We hope you will consider Gansevoort Meatpacking during your next visit to New York City and that our recent changes won't be lost on you during a second stay. For future reservations, please contact our Community Manager Anna at, Anna@gansevoorthotelgroup.com, for a special social media rate. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again soon.

Deerfield, Illinois
Reviewed August 10, 2012

For a real first experience of NYC this hotel was amazing! From the staff to the views to the cleanliness and personal assistance for anything!Perfect for children also, has everything you need all in one building!-EXCELLANT!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Kristine S,

We are ecstatic that you enjoyed your stay at the Gansevoort, and that you were able to take advantage of the magical view from our rooftop. We hope you will return in the near future so we can continue to provide you with excellent service each time you visit New York City. Please feel free to contact our Community Manager at Digital@gansevoorthotelgroup.com for accommodations and reservations in any of our locations, as well as a special social media room rate. We can’t wait to welcome you back.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Was expecting a lot more out of our visit to this hotel after speaking with representive who talked me into staying I was told my stay would be nothing less than exceptional as far as location amenities and service were concerned.Just what I was looking for to help make our 14 year anniversary special ,my parents afforded us the opportunity to have a quick getaway to celebrate .
Upon checking in I asked for a king room as they are based on request only basis ,the front desk graciously assigned us a king .However I was given a smoking king very stinky and I have many allergies did not realize I had to specify no smoking!Called front desk with my concerns and was told the only way I could change rooms and still have king was to pay 40 dollars more because only queens were left in my category .So I paid the 40 dollars to be able to have king because desk clerk said her manager was unwilling to upgrade .I didn't feel my request was unreasonable just wanted a nonsmoking king.Any way room was nice and a little roomier for the 40 dollars would have been fine except room temperature was warm it was very hot day we stayed.At first we assumed it was because it was so hot out it could not catch up turned it as far down as it could go went out to see some sights came back still only 75.Called desk maintence came up and agreed it was not working properly he said he would look at it.We went out for dinner and returned to find it still not working to capacity still at 75 by this time it's getting late we were told if we were not happy with it we could move to a QUEEN room seriously?at 11 at Night no thanks it was a sleepless night to say the least hot and noisy our room that I paid to upgrade was on 3 rd floor in front of hotel lobby, night club crowd is loud!Oh well you don't get what you pay for here.Good points are location and rooftop pool and staff was very friendly, food at pool is good and waitress's are great!Beautiful pool views that part definately is worth the price of admission ! Like a previous reviewer stated rooms may be nice if know what ones to ask for I guess?

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank OngieCat
Dear OngieCat,

We are truly sorry your stay took you on a bit of an unnecessary “tour” of our property during the celebration of your fourteenth anniversary. Clearly communication was not up to our standards. Because of your feedback, we have taken steps internally to improve service. We hope your experience with us has not tarnished the possibility of returning to our hotel. Should you decide to be our guest at one of our properties once again, please reach out to our Community Manager at Digital@gansevoorthotelgroup.com for personalized reservations and a special social media rate. We hope to have the chance to host you again in the near future.