“The Gansevoort is outstanding!”

Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC
Ranked #214 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 21, 2008

Our 5 nights at the Gansevoort were a fabulous experience,Tim, the manager, made everything easy and answered all needs. The staff is amazingly consistent in providing responsive, competent service. The beds are the BEST! We will always stay at Gansevoort when in NYC.
MSS

Stayed: February 2008

Reviewed February 10, 2008

My wife and I returned from a four night stay at the Gansevoort where we had a basic room. I have stayed here several times since it first opened but was most impressed on this visit due to the increased level of service and the quality of the staff. Everyone we met was helpful, friendly and very attentive including the front desk, maid, security and anyone else we ran into during our visit.

Our room was spotless, everything worked perfectly and it was very, very quiet (5th floor). I enjoyed the workout room where all the equipment is brand new and spotless. The front desk was very accomidating when we needed anything including a late checkout.

Since the Meatpacking District is one of the most popular trendy destinations on Friday and Saturday nights for the club and party crowd in NYC, the Gansevoort and especially their rooftop bar has long lines and a ton of outsiders who want to enjoy it. The hotel has extensive security and seprate entrances for hotel guests. You can avoid the crowds completely and just go to your room, or bypass the lines and visit the penthouse bar or the unique basement spa bar without waiting in line. My wife really liked that preferential treatment even though we didn't stay long in either place.

If you want a hip, trendy hotel, that really works the Gansevoort is the very best in NYC

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank amp94596
Reviewed February 7, 2008

It's been a really long time since I've traveled with my dog and had such a great experience. The staff was amazing, and the hotel is beautiful. In a city like NY one rarely spends a lot of time in their hotel, but this is an exception. The restaurant is incredible.

The staff went out of their way to make us and our dog feel welcome and at home.

Will definitely come back!

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank jjtuf
Reviewed January 30, 2008

Fabulous location. Great rooms and bed was fantastic. Even comfortable conditions to work in. Restaurant is delicious. very friendly and helpful staff. Lots of great restaurants nearby

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank katrinla
Reviewed January 28, 2008

I just returned from a weekend in New York at the Gansevoort with a few friends in their late 20s/early 30s. The location is great for shopping and dining. We received a great recommendation for brunch from the concierge (Paris Commune). The front desk was attentive, and the security was very tight at night, which was reassuring.

However, I'm not sure the stay was worth the price. One of our rooms was on the 10th floor, and the hallway was completely under construction. There were construction workers, drywall dust and big temporarly lights everywhere. We weren't given a warning or an advance option to stay on a different floor. Our other room was on a lower floor and the street noise on the weekend was very loud. We also found the walls to be fairly thin and we were woken up around 3 am by a couple screaming and fighting in the hallway. When the fight continued into their room, we could still hear the ranting.

The rooms had hip decor, however the TVs seemed small and one of our down comforters had a visible stain on it. I also found the gym to be somewhat lacking. It had new equipment, but had low ceilings and the tvs were hidden behind glass. All in all, I would recommend this hotel for people looking to go out on the town, but not for a relaxing/quiet weekend.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with friends
7  Thank shiner_48
Reviewed January 24, 2008

My mom and I stayed at the Gans last summer for 4 nights. It's a very trendy hotel that is right near my NYC office. I was there on business and my mom tagged along to see New York.

Every evening we sat out on the rooftop bar and she told me about her day over $14 drinks. We would leave for our evening activities and were often surprised by the long line to get into the hotel upon our return. Fortunately, guests of the hotel did not have to stand in that line. I don't think they would have let my mom and me into the lower level spa that turns into a night club.

I was annoyed that there was not a coffee maker in the room and that I had to order a $20 pot of coffee every morning. I was became even more annoyed when I discovered that I could purchase a "personal satisfaction" device from the mini bar but could NOT make myself a cup of coffee in the morning. Maybe the average guest has other priorities.

The rooms was excellent. The beds were comfortable and I enjoyed the view from the window. The shampoo, condition and lotion provided are awesome.

The concierge really went above and beyond in assisting my mom in planning her visit. She wanted to see a lot and they helped her map out some things knowing that she was going about town on her own.

Whenever I am in NYC and unable to stay at the Gans I always make it there for a cocktail on the roof. I do recommend crossing the street and having dinner/drinks at Pastis. It's my home away from home rest/bar in NYC.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank LizzChicago
Reviewed January 21, 2008

Our fifth (maybe sixth?) stay in this great hotel. This time we stayed in a suite for a couple of weeks.

As always - helpful and friendly staff, the most comfortable beds we've ever slept in, good gym, unbelievable pool on the roof, ever-changing views over the Hudson river . . .

Easy to get around - one quick trip to 53rd St and 5th Ave, to Columbus Circle, to Central Park etc - via the nearby subway station, and there's a never-ending supply of cabs.

The location is great for excellent shops and pleasant streets for strolling. Taking advantage of the low dollar, we both got new prescription eye-glasses at the nearby Artsee opticians, recommended by the hotel's concierge. A host of restaurants and cafes are within a couple of minutes walk.

We're already planning - and looking forward to - our next visit in May.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple