“I'm not sure what all the hype is about.”

Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC
Ranked #213 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 20, 2012

This hotel is currently a hot spot so we booked a 4 night stay here over a long weekend. On the second to last day we decided we wanted to stay another night. We went to the front desk and they set it up so we did not have to switch rooms. After we signed everything for the extra night a woman came over and said actually they have no rooms available. Finally, after arguing with her she came clean and said they did have available rooms but now we had to switch rooms. We were set to switch rooms at 12 pm, at 4:30, the room still wasnt ready. Overall, the service was not good and I'm not sure why there's so much buzz about this place.

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank carocar
Hotel_Gansevoort, Social Media Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2012

Carocar - Thank you for taking the time to share your review as guest feedback is a very valuable to us as it allows us to address such issues that may need improvement. We are glad you enjoyed the hotel for the nights you planned however we do apologize that you were disappointed in the overall experience and the fact that we failed to meet your expectations. We assure you your comments are not a usual reflection of the service one receives at Hotel Gansevoort as we pride ourselves on and usually deliver impeccable service to all our guests. Your feedback has been shared with the entire team.

Reviewed February 18, 2012

The lobby at the Hotel Gansevoort turns into a nightclub/bar scene at night- dark, loud music. This Hotel is in a great location for shopping and restaurants. We walked across the street for a great dinner at Pastis and another night had a nice meal around the corner at the Fig and Olive. The area is packed with crowds and limos at night. The staff is so so nice and seemed to go out of their way to make us feel welcome. I was traveling with my Mother as well as my 18 year old daughter. Our room was not big but fairly comfortable. My Mother and I were clearly the oldest people in the place.This is a great hotel for young people if they can afford it!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MardiGrasMom

MardiGrasMom - First we would like to thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with the Trip Advisor community! We would also like to thank you for the wonderful words. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Please let us know about the next time you are interested in visiting New York as we would love to make next time even better then your first!

Reviewed February 11, 2012

I have a new favorite hotel in my home city of New York, and it is the Gansevoort in the so-called meatpacking district of New York. The staff could not be nicer and more welcoming. My wife and I live near the big city, but staying at the Gansvoort allows us to have a quick and easy mini vacation, especially with that heated pool on the roof top.

We liked it so much the first time we stayed that we booked it again the following weekend.

Room Tip: If you don't mind some late night noise, ask for a room at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Gansevoort, Social Media Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2012

Herbnass - It’s always nice to have a stay-cation and we are so happy you chose to do so with us! It has been our personal pleasure to assist you and your guests! We also love your enthusiasm for the location! Have you tried our Park Avenue location, you may also really enjoy it! Please contact us with any information or questions. And thanks for sharing!

Reviewed February 8, 2012

I have been to the Gansevoort several times when I stay in New York City. Each time I stay I feel like my experience exceeds the next! Upon entering you are greeted with the nicest staff I have ever seen. We stayed in the Manhattan Suite last week and it was incredible! Since there was only 3 of us, we had a lot of room to move about in the suite.The suite had a nice space and I felt comfortable the second I walked in.It helped that there were 2 bathrooms considering the time that women take to get ready! I was even checked in before 1pm, but since it is the city, you can always find something to do even if your room isn't ready yet. I was not expecting to have complimentary chocolates and a bottle of wine delivered to my room! The staff was very helpful when we couldn't figure out how to hook up the ipod to the dock to the stereo system. Honestly, we did not want to even leave the room because we were enjoying it so much, however the rooftop was calling our name! I love going up to Plunge! The atmosphere is very calm and I love the music that is being played as well as the view! Especially at night! I never noticed a sound problem in the lobby, the only time I heard the DJ was late at night around 10pm as I'm leaving and the lobby turns into a little bit of a lounge itself. I can not wait to return in March for my birthday, I am literally counting down the days!!!
-Maggie

1  Thank Maggie O

Maggie O - Thank you for the wonderful words! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and we’re truly pleased that you also enjoy our brand initiatives, being the qualities that you verbalized here. Thank you so much for visiting us and sharing your kind words of advice! We can’t wait to welcome you back in March! Thanks again!

Reviewed February 3, 2012

I stayed at Hotel Gansevoort in July 2011 for two nights for business. Upon checking in, my room wasn't ready (even though it was 4:30 and check in time was 3pm) so I asked to use the business center, which was off of the lobby. The business center was fine, but at 5pm at DJ started playing music in the lobby by the bar (this was a Tuesday). After waiting for a room for over an hour, I finally was able to settle in.

The room I was in (a suite) was nice. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was large and nice and the couch in the living room was comfortable to sit on. I ordered room service for dinner that night and the steak was very good and room service prompt.

The location of the hotel can't be beat. It only took me 30 minutes to get from La Guardia, has great cobblestone streets nearby and some good restaurants. Granted, I didn't get out much to explore since I was working, but I could see the location being a reason why someone vacationing would stay here.

Generally, my impression of the hotel is that it caters to a younger, vacationing, socializing crowd. The roof top pool and DJ in the lobby really benefit this type of crowd.

Overall, I would not stay here again for work as it does not cater to the business crowd at all. If prices were a bit cheaper, I would consider it for a vacation hotel; however, I prefer more quiet surroundings so I would likely look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor and a corner room. The views are very nice.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Hotel_Gansevoort, Social Media Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2012

Nicole4278 - Thanks for the great advice! We are sorry to hear that you were not fully happy with your stay here! Although we do aim at a “party” clientele we also find that we also have a bunch of business travelers as well. We are sincerely apologetic about the timing for your room, and we agree that is not acceptable, especially for a business traveler like yourself. If we may suggest, next time you book please specify that you are a business traveler so that we can better prepare for your arrival! Also, we provide a Social Media offer to clients who tweet, facebook, or anything else social, at us! Please let us know about the next time you will be staying with us, we would love to make next time better then your first visit!

Reviewed February 3, 2012

This past Saturday I had the pleasure of obtaining a Manhattan suite for a little mini-vacation to break up the tedium of the winter. My daughter and her two friends, all in their early 20s, wanted a night out in the city and always prefer the Gansevoort as they really love dancing at the rooftop bar! Of course, we also love staying there because the service is excellent and the room service is good also! While we usually book a deluxe room with a small balcony, we had received an upgrade to a Manhattan Suite thanks to a manager who was most accommodating--Ms. Jennifer Wheeler. Upon check-in were were greated by John, one of the friendliest valets you would ever want to meet. Since we arrived quite early, approximately 11:00 a.m., the room was not yet ready but was in the process of being cleaned and upon return from breakfast, it was ready. The girls were impressed with the suite which has a living room, an extra half bath, a bedroom, and a full bath with a separate tub and steam shower. They were also impressed by the complimentary bottle of wine and the chocolates. The 13th street location is great and the girls had a good time visiting a few of the local clubs as well as the rooftop bar before retiring to the extremely comfortable bedding in the suite.

Unlike some who have been in rooms that were said to be noisy, there was no noise at all inside the suite. However, depending on what floor you may be on, it is possible that you could get hear some of the music from the downstairs lobby bar or the rooftop pool although this has never been an issue for us as one of the main reasons we like the Gansevoort so much is because of the nightlife you can enjoy right on the premises. Typically the lines to the rooftop bar can stretch a good way down the block but if you are a guest you can take the elevator right on up and can get in without any problem.

Once again my thanks to the staff for providing the ladies with such an excellent weekend! We have already booked a room in March as my daughter plans to celebrate her 22nd birthday there. At this point, I can't think of any hotel that she would take over the Gansevoort and she has been lucky enough to experience a good many in the city. Thank you, Gansevoort staff, and we'll see you in March!

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms with the walkout balconies are really great as you can open the sliding doors to le...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends

Frano429 - First we would like to thank you so much for your loyalty! It has been our personal pleasure to assist you and your guests! We also love your enthusiasm for the location! Have you tried our Park Avenue location, you may also really enjoy it! Please contact us with any information or questions. We are excited to welcome you back in March!

Reviewed February 1, 2012

Just returned from NYC and an overnight stay at the Gansevoort in the meat packing district.

The location is great - lots of shops, restaurants and easy access to the subway. The hotel offers valet parking for $40/night and it's about as reasonable as you will find in the area.

The staff at the hotel was exceptional - from the doorman to the front desk attendants and the housekeeping staff - they were friendly and attentive and the service was great.

My only complaint was the noise - inside and outside of the hotel. We were on the 6th floor facing west (9th Ave). I woke up at 1 AM to the sounds of a fight in the hallway. Security responded after being called but the commotion continued for about a half hour. Once that was resolved the traffic noise started - and from 2 AM to 4 AM it was like trying to sleep outdoors in Times Square. The street in front of the hotel (9th Ave.) is fairly quiet during the day - there's not a lot of traffic. The main activity on the street takes place when the bars start to close - there are massive traffic jams with cars trying to circle the block and beeping the horns continuously. The hotel could definitely use additional soundproofing.

3  Thank BrianfromBoston

BrianfromBoston - We are very sorry to hear about the disturbance you experienced during your stay! Being in the Meatpacking District in New York City definitely has its advantages as well as its disadvantages, primarily being noise. Also the disturbance you experienced on you floor is extremely annoying and we apologize for that as well. We would be delighted if you and your friend could afford us the opportunity to recover from the shared disappointment of this recent stay by agreeing to return in the not too distant future. Please contact us if you have any questions, we do appreciate your advise.