“Amazing location and buzzing rooftop bar” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC

Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC
Ranked #205 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing location and buzzing rooftop bar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

A very cool hotel in a great location. The meatpacking district is always lively, night and day and this hotel is right in the heart of it. The rooftop bar is always busy with a changing crowd from casual sunset cocktail drinkers to hard core party goers dancing the night away. Beds were extremely comfortable and the rooms are kitted with a few nice extras (their own chill out CDs for you to listen to for example) but they are small, as can be expected in NYC. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank littleswallow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Finnish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

1. The hotel is located in the hub of NYC's best places to go at night and coolest fashion boutiques.
2. The rooftop bar/club is a definite hot-spot; playing a great mix of music with a really quirky crowd.
3. The service is second to none; The general managers were amazing. They were immediately responsive to every request and were on the whole a pleasure to deal with.
4. The concierge service was extremely helpful with sorting out the best New Years Eve ever and with providing us with interesting things to do whilst in NYC.
5. The bouncers, security and reception staff were really kind and friendly.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and can't wait to return! We really recommend it for a hassle-free, edgy and enjoyable NYC break.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Olivia F
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

We were upgraded on arrival. Very cool hotel in a part of New York that is so much more chilled than the rest of Manhattan and despite being very trendy doesn't come across pretentious. The staff were very helpful and the rooftop pool is awesome! Would highly recommend this hotel as the location is incredible and its certainly worth the price, if anything just to escape the hassle of Times Square, 5th Av etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the 8th floor.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew M
Glastonbury,CT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

This Hotel is Location, Location, Location and everything else was Horrible Horrible Horrible.

I stayed 1 night for a company meeting/party. Arrived on Tuesday 12/20 in the afternoon and valet parked my car and was greeted very warmly. Upon checking I informed the girl at the front desk it was my first time staying at the Gansevort and was looking forward to my stay there. Went up to my room and it was clean with a nice king size bed.

I had to rush out for a company party and did not arrive back until well after midnight. The room was at 85 degrees despite set for 68. Ended up sleeping with the window open all night because I did not feel like switching at 0100 in the morning. The room was very clean but the sheets were ripped in my bed. WTF??? Woke up the next morning to watch the news and the TV remote was broken. Upon checking out I informed the Front desk clerk of the issues. He apologized and said that they will be taken care of.

While waiting for my car to be brought around from the parking garage the night manager approached me and apologized again I told him it was no big deal despite it being my first visit at the Gansevort. He than apologized again that the Hotel was slow and I should have been given a nicer room than the handicap accessible room I was put it. I informed him that my colleague was upgraded and he apologized again. He handed me his card and said to call him and he will "make it up to me next time" . I was really pissed and upset that I was discriminated in this manner by the desk agent. I may be older but I am not handicapped.

The icing on the cake occurred two days after checking out when I was alerted on my Credit card activity that showed an additional $41 dollar charge ( parking I assume) which was already included on my hotel bill.

I will not be staying at the Gansevort when we have our Monthly meeting in NYC in January and I have already have told my colleagues not to book there but stay at the Standard which is close by. It is not worth the aggravation to stay at this Hotel. Why would I risk another 400-500 night for this kind of discriminatory treatment when there are so many choices in NYC. Now I have to battle them over a stupid 41 dollar charge over something I did not incur.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank RKON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2011

Xavier was amazing!! Did his job to a "T" service wouldn't have been the same with out him! He made my stay as comfortable as it could be!! Best hotel I have stayed in... In the north east!!! Gansevoort rocks!!!

• Stayed December 2011
Stamford, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2011

The rooftop pool, which was the biggest selling point for me, was covered and tiny. Did not look like fun at all. Given it was winter, but other high end hotels have heated pools, this just looks very 2 star levelish. The lobby leaves much to be desired considering the price you are paying. Drinks were good on the rooftop bar but place got a little too crowded and dirty because people walk in without cleaning their shoes anywhere. Room was small but very nice looking. Can't complain much about the room considering the other hotels I've stayed at. Just the lobby, pool and amenities were fairly disappointing. I could have stayed in Times Square for this much money and gotten a much bigger room with a great view. That's what I'll be doing next time.

Room Tip: Higher floors usually provide a better view but then you can't see the debauchery on the streets
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2011

My wife and I have visited HG on two occasions and enjoyed our stays. The lobby is fun and hip, while the rooms are large (compared to The Standard) and comfortable. The only negative is the noise from the street and other rooms late at night. While we love to party, we also love to sleep!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple