“Great stay”

Wyndham Midtown 45
Ranked #279 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We found all the staff to be very friendly and efficient. Our room was spacious and clean. The free wifi was very welcome. The reception area does feel small for the size of the hotel but we weren't spending time there. The room was sold with breakfast which turned out to be tea/filter coffee, fruit juice and a choice of croissant or muffin - bit disappointing. Best option for breakfast we found the food court at Grand Central Station or Pret a Manger (walk north). Corner shop a few steps away sold food, fresh fruit and drinks. Ten minute walk to Grand Central Station is very easy. Towels were a bit on the small side! Overall good value, not central location but then is a bit quieter and Times Square is easily in walking distance.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Michael M, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Midtown 45, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2014

Thank you, Janet for the kind words. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Again, thank you for reaching out and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Being our first time to NYC, we opted from JFK to use the Airporter Shuttle. Getting their tickets online in advance was only $29 round trip per person. Their drop off and pick up location at 41st St and Lexington near Grand Central Terminal was perfect for the easy walk to Midtown 45 at 45th St between 2nd and 3rd, despite the heat and humidity during the July 4th week. We found Midtown 45's lovely though small lobby to be comfortable when not crowded and inviting with its handy supply of ice cold, lemon tinted water available 24 hours. Having 33 floors, the two elevators were perfect....when both were working. When one is out, the long waits for the elevator down were unbearable at times as the hallways are not air-conditioned. We also had a problem with our room keys not working after a day or two. We discovered we could call the front desk for new keys by using the phone by the elevators and they would come up immediately, rather than us going all the way down for the keys.

As VIP Wyndham timeshare owners, for our first three nights we thoroughly enjoyed our one bdrm presidential suite on the 17th floor. (Floors 11 through 18 are timeshare.) It was clean, roomy, elegant and bright with a beautiful, king size bed and a queen size pull-out sofa bed that was very, very comfortable. We were spoiled, especially with 6 sets of thick towels. But to extend our stay, we had reservations for new units - my mother to a studio on 16 for three nights and me to a one bdrm deluxe on 11 for two nights. We brought our luggage down to be stored while we went out early morning. My mother's was available upon our return at 1 while I didn't get into mine until after 4.

When my mother attempted to pull down the night shades for a rest, it came crashing down with plaster attached! Maintenance came straightaway and worked very hard (bless them) to fix it but to no avail. So they put up a bed sheet to cover the window. This worked out fine for us as the studio did not face the morning or afternoon sun. In my unit I found that housekeeping had missed cleaning the kitchen area. Dirty dishes were in the dishwasher, which was discovered to be broken, and kitchen supplies were not restocked. I called housekeeping and they came right away, washing the dishes by hand and replenishing the supplies. These people were fantastic! We appreciated their speedy promptness to our situation. In fact the whole staff at Wyndham was excellent and friendly and so helpful! Special kudos to Perry and Carlos for their handling of our luggage. A special hug to Perry for his beautiful smile and wonderful city tips. My mother loved him. And a special thanks to the front desk for their friendliness, support, efficiency and most importantly patience, especially Terrence, Joanna, and Christina!

To really explore the city we booked online for guided, walking tours. We were able to get guided tour tickets to the 9/11 Memorial Museum but were too late for the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island (full). For walking tours we used freetoursbyfoot.com. They are absolutely wonderful, informative and so much fun! You pay only what you want to pay for the tours. The guides were so good and enlightening, we tipped well. We toured midtown and lower Manhattan, Greenwich Village, SoHo, Little Italy and Chinatown, Brooklyn Bridge, Brooklyn Hts, DUMBO, Central Park. For our six days we either had one or two tours scheduled. And we still managed to squeezed in two Broadway musicals and one crazy ride on The Ride. This is like a tour bus where everyone has a great seat and you become part of the entertainment. Best part of this experience were the street performers, esp. the ballerina and partner at Columbus Circle (just ethereal) and when instructed to close your eyes, the seats shaking as if you were riding on the subway.

Speaking of the subway, we did use it for at least two days (taxi cabs for their AC and just hoofing it rest of the time) but my mother found it too hot and chaotic downstairs, especially at Grand Central. Fares are $2.50 each way but as seniors we were able to show our medicare cards at the station agent's booth, pay $2.50 and get one half off, reduced fare metro card to be used going and coming. If you ride the buses, just show your medicare card and pay $1.25 (coins only!) to the driver.

I did opt to do the timeshare presentation after some friendly persuasion and we thoroughly enjoyed the free breakfast "show" with Eric's magnificent singing in the hotel's on-site Atrium restaurant. It was very pleasant and after 90 minutes, I received a $50 Am Ex card.

All in all it has been a grand, wonderful, restful stay to which we will return again and again. Thank you, Midtown 45, for making it so memorable for my mother and me!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank susienew

Thank you for this great feedback Susie. I will definitely make sure to share your kind words with out team! This will allow us to continue to enhance the vacation experience at our resort. Please let us know if there are opportunities to make your stay better in the future.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

You can do MUCH better for the same price in the same location.

On the surface, it looked like a modern hotel. Upon closer inspection, it looks like a very cheap remodel was done recently and has already exceeded it's life expectancy. The front desk staff was not attentive, and the "reception" area was cramped and tiny. We checked in and went up to our room. I opened the curtains to see the view out the window and discovered that the window was covered in greasy hand/forehead prints. I started looking around...the fabric headboard was stained. The built-in wall of cabinets that serves as a desk, closet and TV unit were rickety. One of the doors was hanging off only it's top hinge. The speaker covers to the stereo were off and propped against the speaker. Every surface that one regularly has to touch in a room (towel bars, phones, light switches) were dirty. The towel holder in the bathroom came apart in my hand as I was hanging up a hand towel. Even the toilet seat was dirty.

We went to the front desk and asked to be switched to a different room. None was available, so they sent the engineer to fix the cabinets and the cleaning staff to re-clean the room. The engineer all but admitted that this furniture was not built to last and ended up having to remove 3 of the closet doors for safety. The cleaning woman mopped the tile entry floor (which made it sticky) and didn't clean anything else in the room. I picked up Lysol wipes at the drug store next door and started cleaning myself. The amount of filth picked up on those wipes skeeved me out to the degree that we switched hotels. We ended up about a block away, paying the same rate and in a much cleaner and friendlier hotel with a lovely lobby.

We travel frequently and I'm not a germophobe by any stretch of the imagination. I'm not talking about a bit of dust showing up on a white glove test...there was visible filth that the hotel staff were not interested in addressing. Even the central location is not enough to recommend this hotel considering all the other options in the area and price range.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Sara B

I am so sorry you had to spend even a minute of your stay dealing with cleanliness issues. I know there is a certain level of satisfaction expected when staying at our properties and you did not receive this. Please rest assured I will have our housekeeping staff address these concerns moving forward to avoid any future occurrences of this nature. Thank you for making us aware.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

We got a 1 room suite - which meant we had a small kitchen area. We wanted something a bit larger and we wanted to be higher up. The hotel is very clean, organized, and the service was nice. We checked in early, but our room was not ready yet. No problem, we dropped off our bags and walked right next door to The Perfect Pint to have a pint or two. Our room was spacious enough, clean, and had a stove, microwave, and regular size fridge and freezer (not the mini ones). It was well decorated and was enought room for my wife and I. Our view was not great, but what can you do, luckof the draw on that. If you want a great view - go to the 33rd floor where they have a large balcony patio...what a great view. We were there a few times (by ourselves - we were shocked at how nobody was up there) to see both evening and afternoon views. Great place for pictures and a great shot of the Empire State Building. Everything is within walking distance - we walked downtown to China Town and Little Italy, we walked to the Theatre, we walked uptown to Central Park. We could have taken the subway, too, Grand Central is just a few blocks away, but we wanted to see as much as we could. There are three parking lots on the street, so if you want to save money on parking, get a coupon (Google - NYC Parking Coupons) for a spot on the same street and walk 1/2 block tops to the hotel. It saved us a ton of money. We have no complaints about this room or hotel that we experienced. We would stay here again for sure. I guess there are two quick "compaints" just as an FYI...1- a coffee maker would be nice...or at least free coffee in the lobby. Coffee is important to us, and to have to get fully dressed to walk a block or two - in order to get a coffee - and then walk a block or two back (if you just want a cup or two before you get going for the day) to the hotel...just a bit of a hassle. Also, the bed is a bit short. If you are taller than 6' your feet may hang off the end a bit. I am 5' 11 and I barely fit, If those are my only complaints - then it was a great vacation, huh?

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bayouscrubs13

Thank you for your kind feedback. Next time you stay with us, just give a call to our front desk & we will be more than happy to have a coffee maker sent right up! I am happy to hear that you had a great vacation. Once again, thank you for choosing the Wyndham Midtown 45.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

The service was exceptional, the room was clean, loved the decor, great comfort for a good night sleep. I was very pleased with location, walking distance to Empire State Building, Union Station to name a few. I can't say that there was anything I didn't like.. I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
1  Thank Billie N

Thank you, Billie for the kind words. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Again, thank you for reaching out and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

It's midtown Manhattan. The prices are very fair, even better sometimes. Twice here our rooms have been clean, large and furnished with clever, sophisticated built-ins. There are nice old-timey service flourishes that remind one that this is NYC, not Podunk. (No ice machines, room service brings it to your door in seconds after you call. Best kick in town for a dollar.) So, on top of all this, you get smiling and helpful, attitude-free people at the front desk. This hotel, near Grand Central Terminal, is partnered with the New Yorker on Eighth Avenue near Penn Station. So, between the two, I'm fixed for Manhattan hotels for the foreseeable future.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you, Mark for the kind words. I will be sharing this with our staff. I am glad that you enjoyed your room & got the full New York experience!

Reviewed July 8, 2014

I arrived into what looked like a shabby mini-cab office rather than a hotel reception and was proudly told I had been upgraded to a beautiful suite. When I got to the rooms I found it was a shabby apartment with such a dirty bathroom I had to ask for my room to be changed immediately!

The next apartment was fine in size but of so shabby and looked as though it had not had a good clean in weeks. The bedside lamp didn't work either. Food in the restaurant was dreadful- cheap salad with stale bread fro $13!

This can't lay claim to calling itself a hotel- really appalling is all I can say!

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs!