“Decent value in midtown”
Review of Wyndham Midtown 45

Wyndham Midtown 45
Ranked #256 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Decent value in midtown”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Great location (45th & 3rd), 2 minute to grand central. Modern decor, functional is the word that comes to mind often. Rooms are small but clean and comfortable. Bath is good (nice shower), staff very friendly. It's not ultra-luxury but in this location at this price point it's a credible option"

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Terrence J, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Midtown 45, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We appreciate your kind words and will share them with our staff. We are so glad you enjoyed the property location and unit amenities. We hope you come back to stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Was a bit apprehensive about staying at the hotel after reading a few of the reviews. Our weekend visit couldn't have been better. From the moment we checked in, we felt welcomed and were impressed with the first impression of the hotel. Maria, at the reception couldn't have been nicer. We were celebrating a birthday, and she helped to make sure that. It was a good one. Our room, on the 32nd floor was perfect, with spectacular views. The location was great. We walked all over town, and if we needed to take the subway, grand central was just a few blocks away. The value for the money was extremely fair. Highly recommend the hotel, and we will stay there again on our next visit to NYC.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RogerRambo
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

I live in NYC and work in the travel industry, and i must say I was very impressed by this hotel! I booked a one bedroom suite because I needed extra space, and I'm always amazed by people who book the smallest, cheapest room and expect magical upgrades at the front desk.

The kitchen was the best part of this room. Seriously, I got inspiration to renovate my apartment kitchen from it. gorgeous integrated full refrigerator and freezer with built in ice maker. Even a dishwasher! We had a dining table with place settings for 4, and cabinets full of dishes, utensils and napkins.

Sectional sofa in the living room was ok, but it was definitely showing its age. I was surprised that it wasn't a sleeper sofa. That would have been a lot more convenient than having to have a rollaway bed added.

Bedroom was lovely, spacious with cavernous closet space (again, better than my apartment!) The bed was ok, not as comfortable as it could have been though.

Bathroom was awesome... There was a TV in there, and I would be lying if I said I didn't have it on every time I was in there.

The staff were all very friendly, but I didn't really interact with many as I was in and out of the room all day.

Overall it was a great hotel, but I have a few tips for the owners:

-Relace the sofas, get sleeper sofas, or more comfortable ones instead. The one in our room was all scratched up and looked very worn.

-Update the showers. The system you have now with the push/pull button is ridiculously complicated. Also hand showers wouldn't be a bad idea.

-Update your entertainment system. Seriously, I had 2 DVD players, 2 huge sound system boxes with. CD PLAYER, and not one iPhone dock or connection. It's 2014, I don't even have a DVD player anymore.

-Get rid of the huge entertainment console in the bedroom, it gets in the way and you could put that flat screen on the wall. That would free up a lot more space.

-There are no power outlets in the bedroom. There are two mismatched lamps on either side of the bed, just get 2 matching ones with power outlets in the base. People need to charge their devices without getting out of bed. It's important.

But please, don't change the kitchens. They are perfect just as they are.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank NYCbelle88
Terrence J, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Midtown 45, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We are so glad you enjoyed the property location and unit amenities. We hope you come back to stay with us.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I travel a modest amount for personal and business (10 times last year for reference) and my stay at the Wyndham Midtown was one of the worst on recent memory. Two stars for location only -- just a short walk from Grand Central Station -- but just about everything else was terrible.

* Room was small (which is fine) but totally without any charm or amenities to compensate. There was a bulb burned out in the bathroom, peeling wallpaper in the room, a fold-out desk that was unstable.
* TV remote worked the first night of my stay but not the second. No clock in the room (good thing I always take my travel alarm clock). No information about NYC -- no guide about what to see/do/eat, no subway map -- not even a menu for their own restaurant.
* WiFi didn't work and when I called the front desk for assistance was redirected to the customer service phone queue for their WiFi provider. Spent about 30 minutes on the phone with no success troubleshooting. Two more calls to the front desk got me an ethernet cable but no offer to waive the cost so I still paid $15.

NYC has plenty of hotel options at this and every other price point. Stay elsewhere. I will be in the future,.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We are truly sorry for any inconvenience we may have caused you during your stay. We hope you come back to stay with us.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Reston, VA
Reviewed January 14, 2014

First, a caveat: we visited during the transition of the property to a Wyndham and things were not quite there yet; it could easily receive an "excellent" rating when transition is complete. The location near Grand Central Terminal is convenient, and cabs are readily available. (Don't bring your car.) Being on the East Side it is nice and quiet, and the neighborhood feels quite safe. The room was a nice size and well appointed, but some of the cabinets (which is to be replaced) had doors missing. There were a lot of electronics -- at least three TVs in a one bedroom unit, video players, audio players, but there was a fee for WiFi, which should never be the case. The elevators were readily available, which is nice. The staff was universally pleasant and helpful. The restaurant and bar looked nice, but we didn't take advantage of them. That will have to wait for our next visit, which is sure to happen. I think we've found our NYC hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Terrence J, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Midtown 45, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
We appreciate your kind words and will share them with our staff. We are so glad you enjoyed the property location and unit amenities. Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We hope you come back to stay with us.