“Appreciated the cupcake”

Ranked #315 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Appreciated the cupcake”
Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

I had to travel to NYC for work but had to stay in a "reasonably" priced hotel. At $399 or night, this fit the bill. The rooms are small but not too small. My room had been recently renovated, although not all rooms have been updated yet.

The hotel is small, but it's fine. The location is good, and there is a pub on the premises.

The best part was getting a fresh cupcake at check-in.

I'll stay here again and suggest u give it a try.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank TwoWas
Lee B, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Hi TwoWas, and thank you for your review. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and the amazing cupcake from Billy's! We look forward to your future stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
New York
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I am unsure of this hotel but I want to give it a fair review because I get that this is more of a budget friendly practical place to stay as opposed to being four star luxury. However I do not ever see myself staying at this hotel again. I will keep it simple by just doing a detailed list of likes, dislikes and major issues during the stay.

Likes:

1) Free wifi is always a plus as some hotels in city charge anywhere from 15-20 bucks a day to use theirs.
2) Having an in room coffee maker is always a nice touch.
3)The staff is very friendly and welcoming. If you ask for something to be brought to the room they send it right up.
4) The room was clean upon check in. The bed was comfy.

Dislikes:

1) The room was for two people yet only 1 bathrobe,1 bar of soap, enough towels for 1 person and 1 complimentary bottle of water.
2) Don't expect anything non generic when it comes to tissues and toilet paper, it's rough.
3)The shower soap dispensers are somewhat strange as you can’t read about the product you are using and the thought of how many people pumped it before me gave me the creeps however it did look clean and does cut back on waste.
4) The city view was terrible. It was basically what looked like a warehouse right across the street and if you crouched down and angled your head in the right direction you could see the tip of the Empire State Building.
5) The bathroom sink is like washing up with a small bowl and water gets everywhere.

Major issues:

1) AC unit is very loud and the room gets ice cold quickly when its on. I think its too powerful for such a small space. Also its hard to control. When it was off for a short period of time it got hot and when turned back on the room became icy cold. Needless to say it was a hot/cold noisy night.

2) UGH the food! The food in the restaurant was not good at all. It was a waste of 26 bucks. Me and my mom both got the chicken sandwich and fries. The fries seemed to be right out of the microwave while the chicken tasted like a hunk of charcoal. I ended up throwing mines out after a couple bites while my mom ate only half of hers and ended up with a stomachache. I have ate all over NYC and that's not expectable especially for Soho. I would have sent it back but I was exhausted and didn't want to deal with it.

3 ) Do not expect any kind of cab service here. You are on your own. Myself and my mom( she is clearly disabled ) had to lug our luggage 2 large blocks and only knew where to get a cab that time of day due to a nice homeless man who pointed us in the right direction. No one at the hotel offered to help us.

I did get a good rate but I will splurge the extra bucks for a more comfy stay in the future. I usually find myself not wanting to leave however to be honest I found myself happy to be heading home.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank J C
Thank you JV for your review. We are happy to be able to offer our guests simple pleasures such as complimentary wifi and coffee in room and I am happy you enjoyed them. I truly apologize that you did not like the location of your room. Unfortunately, in a city known for our skyscrapers, surrounding buildings are a bit taller than ours. I'm sorry you did not enjoy our restaurant and its food. We usually receive great comments about the food but I will make sure we address your concerns. We do hope you stay with us again in the future.
Burlingame, CA
Reviewed September 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed here two nights at the tail end of a remodel of the hotel. We were concerned when we checked in, but we haven't heard anything or been the least bit bothered by any of it. The hotel staff are friendly and helpful. The room was good sized. The beds are very comfortable. I'd definitely come back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rgb411
Lee B, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Thank you rgb411 for your review. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were helpful throughout your stay. We truly try our best to make sure the renovation hs minimal impact on our guests and it brings great pleasure to know that its working. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!
New York, NY
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel badly needs to be renovated, and the ownership/management is aware of it. So unless you get a killer rate, I'd avoid this for a few months. The location is good. There are many others directly around it. The staff is aware of the "worn" nature of the facilities, which helps. But like I said, you will notice that there is a great amount of room for upgrades.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Lee B, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you smrpenn for your review. We are excited and eager that our renovation will be complete soon. We look forward to having you stay with us post renovation so that we can show you how fresh and new we are. Thank you!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Overall, it's a nice place to stay. Like many other NY hotels, everything is pretty small. The rooms , hallways, lobby are all tiny. However, it's clean, quiet, and the staff was excellent. The location isn't great, so I wouldn't recommend this place for vacationers. It's one of those hotels that you only use for sleep. Not really a place to hang out or have visitors.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Lee B, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thanks to the reviewer for your feedback. Im glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and that the staff was excellent. We look forward to having you stay with again soon.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Recently at this property for a brief stay. The location was central. The street was seedy with homeless camped out a few feet beyond the hotel entrance. Hotel is under renovation. We were given a newly renovated room that was fresh, clean and nice. Bathroom was adequate. Soundproofing was fair. Bed was comfy. If you like mid-town this is an economical choice.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jack A
Lee B, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you Jack A for your review. Im glad you were able to experience one of our renovated rooms and that your stay went well. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.
Toronto
Reviewed August 24, 2013

When we arrived at the hotel, the front desk was under renovation, however to compensate for that, as we checked in my friend and I both got a free cupcake ! What a great way to start our trip! We were there for 4 days and the front desk was finished by the end of the 2nd day. The room security is great as you cannot get to your floor unless you use your key card which makes it difficult for others to get onto your floor let alone your room.

The rooms were not huge,however there was enough room for my friend and I to both have a spot for our suitcases on the floor and still have enough room to move around. We found the beds really really comfortable and there were enough pillows that we both had a great nights sleep. The room was tastefully decorated in greys and reds and was pretty modern looking. There was a big enough closet and enough drawers to put our things in, and there was also a coffee maker available with tea and coffee. The tv was in a great position and it was easy to relax after a long day, lying in bed watching tv.

The washroom was large enough and there was ample space for us to put our toiletries. Everything was clean and tidy.

The location of the hotel is perfect. We arrived at Penn Station from Newark airport and only had a few blocks to walk to the hotel which was not far at all. Check in was quick and efficient.

Overall we had an excellent stay at this hotel and would stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: The thick windows block out any street noise, but ask for a higher up room just to be sure.