“Great Location but the room was very small”

Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea
Ranked #328 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for 4 days in April. The location was great. It's 10-15 minutes walk from Time Square. The subway and restaurants were a few steps away. But, the hotel facility was quite small. Our room was very small. There was not much storage to hang the clothes. The bathroom was tight and narrow. I understand it is NYC. Rooms are normally small and expensive. Overall, it was a nice experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Hsunami1
Lee B, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Thanks to the reviewer for sharing your experience. Although our room size is probably averqage for New York, we can probably utilize the space better. Later in the summer we will be renovating our rooms (a few floors at a time). The new furniture package was designed to address some of your concerns.
thank you again for sharing. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Best regards,
Lee Berthelsen-Leon

Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I just came back from a weekend trip and we had a great stay at this hotel. We're SPG members and do our best to stay at Starwood hotels. We've had great experiences at other Four Points and this was the best so far. The location was great for us, as we wanted to be near the Union Square area, and be able to walk if we wanted to the West Village areas (still a 15 to 20 minute trek to the vinicity, but we're okay with that as we like to walk and explore). The area isn't a "tourist area" and on a side street so it was much quieter which we really appreciated. You still can hear the sounds of NYC while in your room, but by no means was it annoying. The staff was very friendly and attentive. A special shout-out goes to Alita and Hussein at the front desk who attended to all our inquiries with professionalism. We also appreciated the complimentary Billy's Bakery cupcakes upon check-in which were delicious. We had a corner room on the 17th floor and it was neat and clean. The room was surprisingly big by NYC standards. We had a king-size bed room which had a small loveseat and desk included too. Another huge plus -- the whole hotel has unlimited Wi-Fi for guests!

A few complaints -- we wish the bath towels were larger and the shower water drainage was a bit slow.

Room Tip: -- We were told that the hotel will start room renovations in July 2013 -- there's a Whole Food...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nav A

Thanks to the reviewer for the wonderful review of our hotel and it's many great features. Thanks as well for mentioning our team members Altia, and Hussein, because it is our staff that is our best asset. We encourage our team members to try to always make a difference, so it will be my pleasure to bring your comments back to them.
Please do come and see us again!

Lee Berthelsen-Leon

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We were in NYC for new years eve 2012. Public transport played a big part in our trip to NYC and the hotel was located relatively close to a subway stop which was great for arrival/departure as well as travelling throughout the city during the week.

Room was small but bed very comfortable (staying in your room all day in NYC... I think you've come to the wrong city). Given that we were day when it was snowing heavily, heating was available and utilised.

Our package did not include breakfast so I cannot comment on food. We did find the bar to be slightly expensive though. (NYC is expensive so take from that what you will).

We would definitely stay here again when we visit NYC.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks to the reviewer for commenting on the hotel. We hope that you'll return for another New Year's eve celebration in the future.
Thanks and Regards,
Lee Berthelsen-leon

Reviewed May 31, 2013

With my wife and son, the three of us spent five nights at this little hotel, while in New York. The location, in Chelsea, is convenient for folks who plan to range far and wide, around the city. The staff is friendly and helpful.
The property appears to be a converted boutique hotel. The lobby, elevators, hallways, rooms, and pretty much anything else to to with this location is - small. My son and I are both large men - over 6' - so, we were careful not to make any sudden moves, when all of us were in the room at once.
All that being said, who goes to NYC to stay in their room?
It was a great, centrally-located tourist oasis, and we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for room above the 10th floor... quieter. The fish and chips - in the bar - are no threat to Li...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Very fair comments about us, and our location. Of course we love hearing about the staff as well and their friendliness. Please come see us again!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I just completed a business trip to New York and stayed for two nights at the Sheraton Four Points in Chelsea. I give this hotel four stars due to the extremely friendly staff, ease of check in, and the location to Penn Station, shopping, and the Javits Center. The rooms themselves are probably more deserving of three and a half stars as the furniture was dated and pretty roughed up looking. The bed was very comfortable, though, and the linens and room were clean. The bathroom could also use a makeover. I did appreciate the large flat screen in the room. Overall the room was very clean and comfortable - just would have wished for a more modern feel.

Room Tip: I don't know if they have any updated rooms but it can't hurt to ask!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Lee B, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Thank you reviewer for the 4 stars!! I am very pleased to tell you that the rooms will soon be matching the staff performance. Sometime in July we will begin renovating all of our guestrooms(a few floors at a time), and that will completely transform us to a newer , fresher more modern feel. Thanks for taking the time to share. Come back to see us. We promise to keep working hard to earn your loyalty.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I had the good fortune to stay in the newly renovated room and I would say it helped increase the review from an Average to Very Good.

I’ve spent a few nights in the renovated room and I must say it’s a very nice improvement. The design is tastefully done and gives a sorta aloft/element vibe to the look and feel of the hotel I think this will help give the hotel a more boutique feel rather than a budget/no frills hotel. Of course everyone’s tastes are different and the new design may not appeal to everyone, but I like a very contemporary look to a hotel and this was nice. The blackout blinds and filter are much better than the existing blinds in the unrenovated rooms

There are is some constructive criticism that I hope will be incorporated with the full remodel:
• There is no access to electric plug at the desk. The wall plug is non-accessible so you can’t use the desk to put a laptop and work. If they can incorporate a power strip on the floor it would help alleviate concerns when it comes to charging devices
• Since there is no electric plug at the desk you can’t make coffee with the in-room coffee maker. You either have to put the coffee maker on the end table or on the floor where there is an accessible outlet. The old lamps had a nice feature of having a single outlet plug on it’s base. If there is a way to incorporate a power outlet at/above the desktop that would make it more functional
• A full length mirror would be nice. Maybe behind the door
• Changing the shower head to a more contemporary one; maybe like a waterfall. This would involve changing the shower arm.

Overall this is a nice improvement.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for commenting on our "Model " room. It is 95% of what the finished product will be, and . It has been very well received, and I must say has us excited as well. In fact one of the reasons we have been using this room is to get feedback from our guests . The final rooms will have outlets on the side of the nightstand, and there is currently a full length mirror on the inside of the armoire door! So we are definitely listening. We're going to begin the renovation(a few floors at a time) sometime in July.
Thanks again for your help, and for your business.
Best regards,

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I had a few wedding dress appointments in NYC and needed two rooms for myself and my cheerleader section. I had given the platinum concierge a buzz and told them of my situation. The first thing I was told was that this was a popular place for people on business to stay. That somewhat threw me off guard because that certainly is a bit away from where I would think I would stay or where other business men and women would stay but I heard them out. After they finished telling me all of the features of the hotel I just told them I'm only there for a certain amount of time and just needed to know if they had room. They did. I arrived there and it certainly is a tightly packed hotel. It's fighting for space so if you want luxurious then this is NOT the place for you. If you are there for a couple of days and need to take care of something in the city this may be more for you. We were on the platinum floor we found our rooms to be clean however, our room was oddly hot. They may need to check that prior to sending people up in there and this was in April. Other than that we didn't spend much of our time in the hotel as we were out and about. From what I can tell they have an outside area that a few folks congregated to have a few drinks and it looked like they tried to have some complimentary tea. No need to get breakfast there as there is a wholefoods and smoothie place down the street. Don't like that? Keep walking and you'll run into a Starbucks soon. I think this hotel is just okay and from the price I just think about the other major cities (around the globe) that I've gone to that I've gotten a little bit more for the money. The staff were great and were very cheery when I walked through the door. Kudos for them as there are other places that won't pay attention to unless requested. 3 stars.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Thanks to the reviewer for taking the time to share, and especialy for the comments about our especially cheery staff. I Just wanted you to know that despite being cheery and providing great service, that we will be undergoing a renovation of our guestrooms (a few floors at a time) so that we will be like new again.
Sorry about your room being hot. Our air condioners are also heaters, and we must have had it set incorrectly.
Please do come see us again.
best regards,