“Super friendly staff and excellent location make this a 4 star hotel”

Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea
Ranked #301 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Boston
“Super friendly staff and excellent location make this a 4 star hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I just completed a business trip to New York and stayed for two nights at the Sheraton Four Points in Chelsea. I give this hotel four stars due to the extremely friendly staff, ease of check in, and the location to Penn Station, shopping, and the Javits Center. The rooms themselves are probably more deserving of three and a half stars as the furniture was dated and pretty roughed up looking. The bed was very comfortable, though, and the linens and room were clean. The bathroom could also use a makeover. I did appreciate the large flat screen in the room. Overall the room was very clean and comfortable - just would have wished for a more modern feel.

Room Tip: I don't know if they have any updated rooms but it can't hurt to ask!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Lee B, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you reviewer for the 4 stars!! I am very pleased to tell you that the rooms will soon be matching the staff performance. Sometime in July we will begin renovating all of our guestrooms(a few floors at a time), and that will completely transform us to a newer , fresher more modern feel. Thanks for taking the time to share. Come back to see us. We promise to keep working hard to earn your loyalty.
Sincerely Yours,
Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Dallas, Texas, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I had the good fortune to stay in the newly renovated room and I would say it helped increase the review from an Average to Very Good.

I’ve spent a few nights in the renovated room and I must say it’s a very nice improvement. The design is tastefully done and gives a sorta aloft/element vibe to the look and feel of the hotel I think this will help give the hotel a more boutique feel rather than a budget/no frills hotel. Of course everyone’s tastes are different and the new design may not appeal to everyone, but I like a very contemporary look to a hotel and this was nice. The blackout blinds and filter are much better than the existing blinds in the unrenovated rooms

There are is some constructive criticism that I hope will be incorporated with the full remodel:
• There is no access to electric plug at the desk. The wall plug is non-accessible so you can’t use the desk to put a laptop and work. If they can incorporate a power strip on the floor it would help alleviate concerns when it comes to charging devices
• Since there is no electric plug at the desk you can’t make coffee with the in-room coffee maker. You either have to put the coffee maker on the end table or on the floor where there is an accessible outlet. The old lamps had a nice feature of having a single outlet plug on it’s base. If there is a way to incorporate a power outlet at/above the desktop that would make it more functional
• A full length mirror would be nice. Maybe behind the door
• Changing the shower head to a more contemporary one; maybe like a waterfall. This would involve changing the shower arm.

Overall this is a nice improvement.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Lee B, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for commenting on our "Model " room. It is 95% of what the finished product will be, and . It has been very well received, and I must say has us excited as well. In fact one of the reasons we have been using this room is to get feedback from our guests . The final rooms will have outlets on the side of the nightstand, and there is currently a full length mirror on the inside of the armoire door! So we are definitely listening. We're going to begin the renovation(a few floors at a time) sometime in July.
Thanks again for your help, and for your business.
Best regards,
Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I had a few wedding dress appointments in NYC and needed two rooms for myself and my cheerleader section. I had given the platinum concierge a buzz and told them of my situation. The first thing I was told was that this was a popular place for people on business to stay. That somewhat threw me off guard because that certainly is a bit away from where I would think I would stay or where other business men and women would stay but I heard them out. After they finished telling me all of the features of the hotel I just told them I'm only there for a certain amount of time and just needed to know if they had room. They did. I arrived there and it certainly is a tightly packed hotel. It's fighting for space so if you want luxurious then this is NOT the place for you. If you are there for a couple of days and need to take care of something in the city this may be more for you. We were on the platinum floor we found our rooms to be clean however, our room was oddly hot. They may need to check that prior to sending people up in there and this was in April. Other than that we didn't spend much of our time in the hotel as we were out and about. From what I can tell they have an outside area that a few folks congregated to have a few drinks and it looked like they tried to have some complimentary tea. No need to get breakfast there as there is a wholefoods and smoothie place down the street. Don't like that? Keep walking and you'll run into a Starbucks soon. I think this hotel is just okay and from the price I just think about the other major cities (around the globe) that I've gone to that I've gotten a little bit more for the money. The staff were great and were very cheery when I walked through the door. Kudos for them as there are other places that won't pay attention to unless requested. 3 stars.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks to the reviewer for taking the time to share, and especialy for the comments about our especially cheery staff. I Just wanted you to know that despite being cheery and providing great service, that we will be undergoing a renovation of our guestrooms (a few floors at a time) so that we will be like new again.
Sorry about your room being hot. Our air condioners are also heaters, and we must have had it set incorrectly.
Please do come see us again.
best regards,
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

This is a perfect location if you want to explore and enjoy Manhattan: not many tourists, convenience closeness to the Hudson river and easy to reach all parts of the city from here.
The quality of the rooms as well as food and drinks in the hotel could be much better for the price you pay here. Quite outdated and used up furniture; drinks in the bar and food is very average to poor. If they reduce price or improve quality, it would become the best option to stay in Manhattan!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Lee B, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Reviewer thanks for your business, as well as the feedback. In about 6 weeks we will begin our renovation(a few floors at a time) and those older rooms , in fact all of our rooms will be updated by fall. Thanks for your patience.
Best regards,
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

If I were to be very unkind, I'd say it's called the Four Points because only got four points out of ten. But you have to look at the hotel in its context, and I think for the price and location this is a solid hotel. As others have noted, the staff are first-rate and save this from being a 2 out of 5 hotel. They were excellent throughout. Unsurprisingly, the room was small but it could also have done with a deeper clean. The hotel generally was pretty shabby (e.g., the elevators feel like they might be the service elevator). If you're ok with that -- on a business trip, or if you're just looking for somewhere to sleep in between days exploring the city -- then this place is fine. If you're looking for a special venue for a special occasion, look elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Lee B, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thanks to the reviewer for highlighting our first rate staff! As the manager I am thrilled with that. I also am pleased to let you know that we have been approved for a rooms renovation beginning in July, that will make everything new again. I hope that you will come back and see us again to see how you like the results!
Best regards
Elmer, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

A friend and I got a room here recently, and the place was Great, nice comfortable beds, clean, fairly quite, nice bar/lounge area, helpful front desk, great location, and at a very reasonable rate! Because rooms were not real big I would say 2 people per room would be ideal.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Lee B, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for the 5 rating!
We try hard, and will continue to try hard to earn your praise and loyalty. Please come back to see us again.
Sincerely yours,
Lee Berthelsen-leon
Hamden, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

My wife & I went to NYC for our son's 30th birthday. We stayed at the Four Points on 25th St. The staff could not have been more accomdating; front desk, restaurant, housekeeping all terrific. I expect rooms in manhattan to be small but this room needed a thorough cleaning and frankly so did the entire facility. With all the other hotel options available in NYC I doubt I'll return which is unfortunate because of the proximity to The Flatiron District, Grammercy Park, 5th & Park Ave's.

• Stayed April 2013
Thanks to the reviewer for the great comments about the staff and hotel. I just wanted to let you know that we have plans to update our rooms this summer(a few floors at a time) to make them new again. Please do come and see us again.
lee Berthelsen-Leon