“Smaller, clean hotel right in the middle of everything”

Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea
Ranked #306 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Toronto
“Smaller, clean hotel right in the middle of everything”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stayed here in March 2013 and would certainly come back. The hotel is on the smaller size, which I like. We were in room 802, which was perfect as it faced the back and was on a high enough floor that it was very quiet for sleeping, which is very important for me when I travel.
The room was average size. Not too small, not too large. There were plenty of outlets for plugging in devices, and enough space for 2 people to get ready together. The beds here are VERY comfortable, as are the pillows. They also have lovely puffy duvets. The room was clean enough. No mould or weirdness in the bathroom.
There is complimentary coffee in the lobby every morning, and on one evening they had a free happy hour for guests (I didn’t go to it though).

The only quirky thing was that the cleaning staff did a halfway job of our room every day. They changed the sheets/towels and emptied the garbage, but they didn’t give us any new drinking cups, nor did they clear away the used cups and garbage we had on the tables and surfaces.

The neighborhood is perfect. There is a Whole Foods right across the street, and you can’t beat the convenience of the neighborhood. It’s in walking distance of everything.

All in all, I had a pleasant stay and wouldn’t definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Lee B, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you to the reviewer for highlighting so many of the wonderful features of our hotel. Please do come back to see us again.
Best Regards,
Lee Berthelsen-Leon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This placeis an old stand by for a quick and clean hotel whiich is central, has a decent bar ( run I think by an outside business).
Rooms are small and clean.
Internet and shower are sttrong.
free NY TIMES/USA Today/coffee in the morning
Bed is passable.
The problem is its a $200/night hotel which sometimes tries to charge $300+
sometimes $400......which is insane.
Use starwood's site, check it against expedia ( which can be cheaper) and remember the price never includes another $ 30 in taxees and fees.
If its midtown you want this works and isnt as souless as the Sheraton's and usual Four Points.
It is what it is and in NYC, it equates to a hotel you don't pay through the nose for....save that for the $16 Vodka tonics ( before tip!)

Room Tip: Theyre all the same
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Lee B, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear TAR43,
Thanks for the complimentary review, and testimonial. We are very proud of our team, and we strive to provide value to our guests (especially compared to true full service hotels). We acknowledge that New York can be an expensive place to travel. Just know that as our prices rise to $300 (depends on season and occupancy etc) that other full service hotelsare probably 4-500 $. We will still be a value purchase in comparison.
Thanks and please come to see us again.
Boston, MA
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is conviently located. Shortish walk to many NYC sights like Madison Sq Garden and Times Sq. Valet parking is cheaper than a garage. Small rooms and beds but it is New York. Lots of places to eat nearby and there is a bar / restaurant.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for highlighting many of the great reasons for choosing to stay with us.
We try to provide the service attitude that you would expect in a great hotel, and to strive for greatness with all those things that are within our control. We are always on a journey toward being the best we can be and promise that we will continue to do so in the future.
Sincerely yours,
Lee

travelmomwkids
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I booked with points for 2 nights about 2 months ahead. I requested an upgrade and early check-in as a SPG Gold member. When I came at 12:00, no rooms were available. Came back at 2:49 they said I had come too early and I would have to wait for a room. I waited and specifically asked for a room away from the elevators as I had requested on my reservation. They gave me a room right next to the elevators saying that was the only room available. I came back down to the desk and they gave me another room this time around the corner. The room was really old and smelled musty. It faced inside and I was kept awake all night by the noise from the building next to it and the noise from the elevators. I must say I was really disappointed with the hotel. They kept saying because the hotel is so small they had no choice. I had stayed in this hotel a couple of times before and I was on a preferred guest floor and had a pleasant stay due to my membership. I cannot say this time I had a good experience. What is the point of being a SPG member when there are no advantages? I don't think I will stay here again. This experience really turned me away.

Room Tip: If you like a better room ask for renovated upper floors.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer, I wish to apologize for your experiences during your last visit with us. I am glad to have heard that you have had a pleasant stay before, which means that we can get it done.
I think that we could have communicated and executed better in attempting to accomodate your wishes.
If you don't receive all of the information, how would you knopw whether we are doing all that we can to take care of you?
As a busy hotel running better than 90 % for the year it is almost impossible to have a room ready early (unless the guest has opted to pay for it the night before in order to ensure that it is there waiting). We are happy to accomodate guests when we can (if we can). Another difficulty with early arrival is that with so many late check outs given to platinum and gold members, early room availability is that much more limited.
I think that we could have explained this, put our guest in a room temporarily, and then relocated them later when there was better availability.
Regardless, I am truly sorry that we did not do a good job for you, but I promise that we will in the future.
Sincerely Yours,

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Good location a reasonable walk from Penn Station and convenient to subway. Cupcake at check in. Was upgraded to a small suite which had a bedroom area and a sitting room area with a desk due to starwood status. The suite was at the corner of the hotel so there were windows on two side, which was nice and the suite had a bathroom that was large by usual NY hotel rooms standards with double sink and lots of room on the counter. I've stayed here before in a regualar room also and it was small but fine. The room was clean, the furniture shows wear. Not too many rooms per floor so hallways were quiet. I did not eat in the restaurant this time around, but did the last time I sayed (a few months ago) and had a drink and an appetizer - a bit on the pricy end for what I think of as a budget hotel - but it was good and service was good. Would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thanks to the reviewer for their comments.
I am pleased to see that you got the upgrade to the suite. We are slightly handicapped in that we only have 2 of those suites, but we have 20 to thirty platinum Starwood Preferred Guests per night who would love to receive that benefit. We do have Starwood Preferred Guest designated floors as well. Glad that you enjoyed the cupcake, that's one of the little extras that we give to let our guests know that they are special to us.
Sincerely yours,
Lee

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stayed here last year when they were going through a remodel of the bar/restaurant area. The hotel was clean and the employees were friendly and professional. I generally stay on the NJ side because of the views but really do enjoy being in the city. I will return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Lee B, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thanks to the reviewer for the endorsement. We hope that you come back to us soon, as we are upgrading our operation and tripling our internet bandwidth.
Best Regards,
Lee berthelsen-Leon
Sicklerville, New Jersey
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I am a Starwood Preferred customer and booked my room in December on the hotel's website. The rate had gone down considerably when we arrive so I called the Starwood Preferred Customer line and was told they would not honor the lower price. When I got to the hotel, I spoke to the front desk about this and they gave us two tickets for free breakfast and a voucher for two drinks to try to make up some of the cost. What perks do you get for being a Starwood Preferred Customer... not much at all.

The room wasn't the cleanest and was very beat up. Dark furniture with light scratches, drips down the bathroom door, etc. Definitely in need of a renovation. One plus was that the bed was comfy.

In previous reviews, I read they are planning to reno... stay away until then and wait until last minute to book the room or you will get ripped off! Don't prepay on the hotel website as I did or they will NOT lower the cost if the room goes down on their own website!!!!! Shame on you Sheraton for ripping off your repeat customers.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
FourPointsChelsea, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
We sincerely apologize about the way you felt during your stay with us. Unfortunately our prepaid rates cannot be changed the day of arrival. 99.9% of the time that is the lowest rate the hotel is going to offer, but our rates change on a continual basis. If the rate you had booked was not a guarenteed prepaid, we would have been able to change the rate.

As for the cleanliness issues, you faced, this was not mentioned during your stay. We wish we would have had the opportunity to know about this during your stay so that we could have addressed this.

Regards,