I was suprisingly disappointed with this hotel. My family and I did a two-day excursion to New York and wanted to stay near shows and Gallagher's restaurant (which we love, but that's another review). Our travel agent works with clients who expect the best, and booked us a one bedroom suite with another adjoining bedroom. When we arrived, nothing was ready. The suite we eventually were given was the wrong room type, and the "connecting" room was non-existant. They did move us to a suite that was an upgrade, but we had to settle for a second room that was next door, not connecting.
Aside from the errors, I just didn't like this hotel. If you want to be in the action on the West Side, the location is wonderful, and some of the rooms have great views. However, the first suite we were given had floor to ceiling glass at a sharp, pointed angles (terrible for anyone afraid of heights), and severely modern furnishings. It came across as cold and harsh rather than luxurious, and I love contemporary decor. Not this one.
In addition, it felt like they "dumped" us in the room. None of the amenities arranged by the travel agent were present (a little snack, sometimes flowers), and although they knew the accommodations were wrong, we were told just to wait there. Overall, we didn't get a "welcoming" feeling in this hotel at all. New York is one of those cities where it's important for me to feel the hotel is our "oasis" in the big city. These were VERY expensive accommodations, and couldn't compare with the Four Seasons, new Ritz Carlton or any number of other fine New York hotels in this category. At this price, it should have five stars.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A stunning fusion of modern design with stylish Oriental flair, Mandarin Oriental, New York features 244 elegant guestrooms and suites - all with breathtaking views of Manhattan and Five-Star hospitality. Luxurious amenities include Asiate, the hotel's elegant restaurant; MObar created by noted interior designer, Tony Chi; the Lobby Lounge with dramatic views of Central Park; a 14,500-square-foot, Five-Star Mandarin Oriental Spa; and a state-of-the-art fitness center with a 75-foot lap pool. In addition, there is premium meeting and event space, including a 6,000-square-foot pillar-less ballroom with three walls of windows overlooking Central Park. Located in Columbus Circle's Time Warner Center, Mandarin Oriental, New York is in an idyllic location just steps away from world-class dining, shopping and entertainment, including the Broadway Theater District, Lincoln Center, Central Park, Jazz at Lincoln Center and the Time Warner Center's collection of upscale retail shops and restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Mandarin Oriental, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, New York reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, New York Hotel New York City
- Mandarin Oriental New York City
- Mandarin New York City
- New York City Mandarin Oriental