“Love the Maritime, Love the Meatpacking district”
Review of The Maritime Hotel

The Maritime Hotel
Ranked #142 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 25, 2010

This is my go to hotel in NY. Great neighborhood. Great service. Rooms are nicely appointed (although small which is typical for most NYC hotels). Bathrooms though are really small, but really good shower. Super comfy bed + linens. Both La Bottega & Matsuri are fabulous restaurants. Matsuri is absolutely gorgeous, great for client dinners! Rooms on lower floors can be noisy in the summer when the outdoor patio is bustling till late hours.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed February 28, 2010

A boutique hotel with a warm chic feel. i do recommend.
Positives: awesome hotel restaurant/bar set-up. a really cool vibe and the staff were really nice, accomodating. The shower was awesome.
Negatives, the the room size was underwhelming. The website pics portrayed seemed a lot larger than in real life.
It was noisy at time, but hey that is what i guess you have to expect when in meat packing district.
all in a good experience and i would stay there again

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed February 26, 2010

This hotel is very unique. The rooms are modern and clean (quite small though!) and the bathroom is fantastic - best shower head on tour!
We stayed here 2 nights, and both nights we struggled with the noise coming from the bar below. On our first night, we complained to the front desk who offered to move us to a room a few floors up, but when checking out the room, it was just as noisy -so we stayed put. I bought some ear plugs and so was able to sleep better the second night. We stayed over a weekend, so its possible if you stay during the week you wont have this problem.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2010

Super central, very chick hotel. I stayed at the Maritime for business and was impressed with the service & standard. Rooms are fairly small and has a (maritime) dark wooden look and an excellent bars/cafe restaurant. Clean, trendy place to stay when in NYC.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 1, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights during the Christmas holidays and on the whole was pleasant due to the friendliness of staff, the great location and the nice bathroom soaps and lotions. I also have to thank the doormen that braved icy winds when holding doors open for people.

My main gripe was with the noise... Not from the club, as others have mentioned, but from fellow guests. The first night was fine, I woke up the next day feeling a little jet-lagged after travelling from London and could defintely had done with more sleep on the second evening. The second night was hellish. I was woken at 2am to find that the guests staying in the room next door had decided to throw a party. Music was playing loudly and there was lots of yelping, banging doors, laughing and stomping. A fellow guest had complained at around 2:30am, which helped to reduce noise levels for a while. I was rewoken at about 3:30am to find the noise had returned. I called reception at 4am to log a complaint, which resulted in a member of staff asking them to break up the party. The request couldn't have been that forceful or convincing because they kept going until 5am. As you can imagine, I was a wreck the following day. I didn't particularly want to spend the day in bed catching up on sleep (kind of defeats the object of visiting NYC). After complaining to reception in the morning, they assured me that the noisy guests were checking out of the hotel that morning, which was a relief. However, the noisy party guests had been replaced with a noisy sex couple so I spent my last night listening to lots of oohs and aahs! There was no point complaining because I had an early plane to catch. Not the wake-up call I was expecting!! At this point I was ultra shattered and looking forward to sleeping on the plane. I returned back to London on New Years Eve and made it back home in time for 2010. It's New Year's day today and have just woken up to the best sleep I've had in ages.

In short, if you are a frat dude or a noisy strumpet you might actually like staying in this hotel. If you value your sleep avoid at all costs.

Maritime_Manager, Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2010

It's a shame when other guests are disrespectful, cause compaints such as this and ruin an otherwise pleasant stay.

On the whole, most guests enjoy our beds, linens and blackout blinds and have a very restful stay with us. In the event of noisy neighbors, our best advice is to contact the front desk right away. We do our best to get the guests to comply and remove unregistered guests if complaints continue.

Reviewed October 26, 2009

Great hip hotel in a great location. It's not the lap of luxury -- the rooms are small-ish, there is no bathtub, and the general philosophy is that the guests should be left alone. But everything is very chic, the rooms are nicely decorated and when needed, the staff is helpful. If you know New York at all, you will stay here in a heartbeat over anything in midtown. There is a lot of nightlife around the hotel, so a high floor is preferable, but the windows did a very good job of keeping it quiet,

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2009

I have stayed many times in New York City, this time I felt I wanted to stay away from midtown and chose the Maritime based on location as well as expected price / value.

The hotel reception seemed a little dark, though the welcoming was very friendly and professional.

The room is quite small, though pleasant and sufficient for one person. If I was not travelling on my own, it would have been a little crowded though.

The bed is comfortable with lovely linen. The bathroom is smallish with a nice shower though.

I had a room on the 10th floor, so the music from the club did not disturb me much, I don't have a light sleep. However I can fully understand that other guests would be disturbed by the noise especially in warm summer nights. I recommend you ask for a high floor if you book at the Maritime.

The location is really perfect, I had breakfast at Chelsea Market just opposite which is wonderful. Subway stations are very close and the new Highline Park is also just a block away.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo