“Great things come in small packages!”
Review of The Maritime Hotel

The Maritime Hotel
Ranked #107 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New Jersey
“Great things come in small packages!”
Reviewed November 29, 2007

What a charmer! We stayed at the Maritime for two nights prior to celebrating Thanksgiving with relatives upstate. We used the hotel for some decompression time prior to the usual holiday family drama. One glance at the fireplace in the lobby and the sleek but truly inviting and comfortable lobby decor confirmed we had chosen the right place.

The staff were exceptionally accomodating and always responded concisely, immediately and with what appeared to be actual enjoyment of their jobs. How damn refreshing is that? There's nothing worse than when someone is trying to help out and does back-flips for all to see. We found the staff to be professional and engaged and James the hotel manager should be proud of the team he's assembled.

The chicness at the Maritime does not come at a cost. The rooms are city-small but really thoughtfully appointed. The round portal windows (which thankfully open slightly for the hard-to-find-in-NYC burst of fresh air!) enlarge the space with natural light and great views. The amenities are really appreciated - mini-bar with true gourmet offerings, bedside reading lights tucked away, great electronics and simply a superb layout. This is one "ship's cabin" that we really wanted to stay longer in.

We had a missing package that needed to be bike-couriered over to us upon arrival and the front desk staff handled it seamlessly - including calling Fed Exp and speaking to the sender in California. We needed a barber shop and a diner, asap, and we were directed clearly and with enthusiasm. Even on Thanksgiving, when the rest of the country is taking the day off, the staff cheerfully assisted us. That kind of service isn't "hired" off the street - people have to be trained to be that good and they have to be kept happy to stick around. We got the feeling that in addition to being a terrific boutique hotel in an EXCELLENT location, the Maritime is clearly doing something right for its staff and its guests. Thanks to all for an excellent stay.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sarasmileNewJersey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 22, 2007

This review of the beautiful and unique property, the Maritime Hotel, is somewhat late in being posted, but I thought with the latest round of hotel recommendations being given in New York CIty, I would get mine written and posted.
Our visit was for my 48th Birthday in mid July, 2007. After reading numerous reviews for a special place for this birthday, I finally settled on the Maritime.
One month before my big day, we made the initial reservation. We planned on arriving on Thursday and leaving on Monday morning. I bypassed the computer and called the hotel directly as I wanted to be sure that a nice room with the best view be held for me.
The phone call was taken by a wonderfully polite and professional young man whose name now escapes me. He told me of their available rooms and we settled on a basic king room. Although I had thought of booking a suite, it occured to me that we had made so many plans that we would cut back where we could to make sure we had not only enough cash but energy as well to make it through the long weekend celebration.
A few days before we left for New York, my SO called and confirmed our reservation and all seemed to be in place.
The big day finally arrived and off we flew from Buffalo to New York City.
We arrived a little after 4pm and went promptly to the front desk with an email print out containing our confirmation number and other information. As we stood and carried on a friendly conversation with the front desk clerk, I sensed something amiss as she could not seem to find our information on their computer. She went through the process a few times before looking at me with a serious look and then informed us that although the confirmation number was a valid one, no other information was available for us!!!
It was a busy weekend and she mentioned that all of their rooms had already been taken and the hotel was at 100% occupancy.....and none of them had been set aside for our celebratory weekend!!
The young lady remained calm and asked that we take a seat while she called the Hotel's General Manager to see what could be done to assure that the weekend we had spent so much time planning, would happen as we had intended.
In no time at all, the General Manager of the Hotel arrived himself and started to search their database for our now missing room. After a few minutes of searching with no luck, he then went away from the desk and I started to wonder what we were going to do, as I assumed he was 'escaping' with no answer for us! I looked at the bellman who was standing with our suitcases on his cart and he smiled and reassured us that our worries were unfounded and that we would get our room.
Around 4 or 5 minutes later, the GM returned with a huge smile on his face and led us to the lounge and asked if we would like to have a welcome drink as they needed a few minutes to 'work his magic', as he said.
He personally went behind the bar and made our drinks using their premium Scotch and told us to sit back and relax and our room would be ready in a few minutes.
Still not sure of what was going to happen, I started to panic imagining us having to take a taxi to some out of the way hotel that I knew nothing about.
No more than ten minutes passed when the bellman and the GM returned to collect us, smiling and asking us to please follow them. Since our luggage was no where to be found, I had just assumed it was loaded in the back of a taxi and my plans slowly begin to dissolve before our eyes!!
They led us to the elevator and he started to make small talk about Buffalo and other things as he led us to the top floor of the hotel.
We exited and walked to the end of the hall to a room that had its wide door opened. I looked inside and was floored at the size of the room and the beautiful furnishings inside! He led us in to a suite which was the size of a one bedroom apartment. Our luggage had been taken into the bedroom and there was a huge fruit and cheese tray on the table and it was accompanied by a bottle of very nice champagne in an ice bucket!
He then informed us that this was their best room in the hotel that was seldom used as it was held for visiting VIPs.
Well, it appeared that for that weekend, we were the VIPs!! He gave us a brief tour of the large and well appointed room before giving us an envelope that contained a gift card for $100.00 to be used at our descretion anywhere in the hotel. Along with that, he presented us with his card and then wrote his private cell phone number on the back of it and told us to call him at any time, day or night if we needed assistance with anything! He asked what our plans for dining were for the weekend and said that if need be, he would be able to assist us in getting a table at any restaurant in the city!!
He then wished us a great weekend and once more asked if there was anything he could do for us before excusing himself and leaving us to collapse on the bed from nervous anticipation! The possibility that we would be visiting Manhattan from an outer borough was still floating in my mind, but with each sip of champagne, those thoughts quickly dissolved and we settled into one of the most spacious and beautiful room we have had the pleasure of occupying!
Needless to say, our weekend was one gigantic success!! When ever we left or returned to the hotel, we were greeted enthusiastically by the front desk person or the bellman on duty. Not one time did we arrive or leave without being greeted.
When the sad day came to check out, we were once again asked to wait for a few minutes and the MOD came out to walk us to the complimentary Town Car they had arranged for us to return to the airport!!
He opened the door for us, had our baggage loaded in the trunk and once again, offered us his business card before extending his hand and telling us to call him personally on our next visit to their hotel.
Sadly, we rode away from the hotel having just spent the best birthday in my life. From waking in the morning to turning in late at night, we were treated as true VIPs by every member of the hotel....it was as if our pictures were distributed to each staff member and they knew us personally.
Being in the Restaurant Industry all my life, I know sincere and professional Industry employees and have to say, these young men and women were the cream of the crop and their professionalism has remained unmatched since that weekend of my 48th Birthday!
Needless to say, I highly recommend this fantastically beautiful and unique hotel to anyone seeking the ultimate in personal and professionally managed and staffed lodging.

5 Thank KeenanChicago
georgia
Reviewed October 31, 2007

I have stayed at the Maritime several times. All trips have been for business, so that somewhat effects my ratings. I might rate it a little higher if I were just rating it on a short pleasure trip. The decor Is awesome.The look of this place is so cool. The rooms are beautiful wood paneled with large round windows. They are small, but that is to be expected. The scene downstairs is happening( I met Uma Thurman one night in the lobby), so much so that it makes it hard to sleep some nights. When the weather is cool they have no a/c and you have to open you large port hole window. The party outside can be very loud. The location is very close to the meatpacking district. Bottom line- cool look great place to be seen-and I probably will stay there again, just not for a 7night business trip.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank orb353
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2007

Mainly chose The Maritime because of its location to where I needed to be in NYC. Chelsea has a good selection of shops, restaurants and is walking distance to The Meatpacking District, Greenwich Village, Soho and Union Square - definately a better location than around the park.

The arrival experience is probably the hotel's biggest let down. Unimposing front door and lots of steps to The Lobby, which is dark and unwelcoming. Things certianly get much better beyond the first impressions. The rooms are small (but aren't they all in NYC), but are well designed, with quality fixtures. I always say that if you have a great bed, good shower and breakfast - you can't go wrong. The Maritime definately delivers on these key features. The bathroom ammenities by C.O Bigelow were a real plus point.

The hotel has a wonderful selection of restaurants and bars. Matsuri Japanese Restaurant is one of the best in the city and the bonus is that you can get most of the menu on room service. There is also a good Italian restaurant - serving a 'proper' coffee in the morning. There is a nice terrace for drinks and dining in the Summer. The gym is a little disappointing - being stuck down in the basement in a small room. Not much equipment, but the quality is good. Staff were friendly and informal.

With NYC hotel prices shooting through the roof - this is definately a better priced option than most.

• Liked — Room service options
  • Disliked — Arrival - front door & lobby
4 Thank Globaladventure
Allentown, PA
Reviewed June 14, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Maritime recently to celebrate our anniversary and his birthday, from the moment we checked in and found we had been "bumped" to a Penthouse suite until we checked out 2 days later our stay was fantastic. Everyone at the hotel was very friendly and accomodating, it's in a great part of town, accessible to so many area's. They even provide bicycles, and there is a great bike path along the river (two blocks away)that goes for miles!

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — That we had to leave!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank swenfennell
Providence, RI
Reviewed June 13, 2007

I love The Maritime. I come to NYC 5-6 times a year on business, and I lived in the city for 10 years, so of course I love the location. Full disclosure--I get a corporate rate from the hotel, so I'm paying under $300 a night. However, I didn't have many of the problems others did--the staff were GREAT. I have brought my small children (6 and 2) to stay, and they both loved the staff, who made them feel extremely welcome, brought them extra pillows and sheets, DVDs, etc.

Sure, it's loud (full disclosure again--I can sleep through ANYTHING so the noise is not a problem for me). Sure, the rooms are small. It's New York and that is by and large what you have to deal with, unless you want to stay in boring Midtown. The Maritime is right next to lots of great stuff (Chelsea Market, Florent, Meatpacking District). Also, I LOVE the lobby.

And I also LOVE the shower--great water volume and so relaxing.

• Liked — The lobby and the shower
  • Disliked — Nothing
4 Thank SQuinnProvidence_RI
Paris, France
Reviewed June 7, 2007

Had my second stay at the Maritime. First one was about 2 years ago. Both experiences were excellent. I like the design of this hotel. It's upscale and casual at the same time, with an elegant lobby. The Maritime takes inspiration from "cruise ships" and executes relatively well overall. The rooms are somewhat small, but they are reasonable by NYC standards. They are clean, with comfy beds and nice amenities. What sets this hotel apart is the trendy location, nightlife and population. Lots of good looking people, rather young guests (most are in their 30s I would say), the bars inside or outside (patio) are always crowded and the music is good. It's trendy but still relaxed and positive, without the attitude you can find at other places.

• Liked — Nightlife at the bars and restaurants, atmosphere of the lobby
3 Thank netme75