“Highly Recommend”
Review of The Maritime Hotel

The Maritime Hotel
Ranked #139 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 31, 2011

This is a great hotel! All of the staff I interacted with was extremely friendly and accommodating. The nautical theme is carried out in a fun and inviting way, which makes this a truly unique and fun place to stay. There are also two great restaurants in the hotel to choose from - Japanese and Italian. Both were wonderful. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Maritime_Manager, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2011

Hi lmk59

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your trip. I agree, the restaurants here are delicious. If you want to take a little bit of Matsuri home with you, Tadashi has a new cookbook out called "The Japanese Grill". He unlocks some of his best grilling secrets for us all to enjoy.

We hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed May 20, 2011

Stayed for a week in The Maritime for business (with some leisure though - hey this is the city...). Rooms are really great, large for nyc standards, great design, very convenient with all you need. TV station old but who cares in the city. Cleaning is perfect, very friendly staff, great bar next to the lobby plus italian restaurant with large patio or inside dining, very popular lively atmosphere in both the bar and restaurant. The immediate area is great; right in the meatpacking district. Also close to Penn Station if you need to commute, 5 mins by cab in he morning, 20 mins walking. Also great jogging, 2 blocks away from Hudson River Park. My stay was close to perfect. Only min point is the sound that comes through the windows: the sealing is not very good. One can ask to install a plug, but then you're view is gone.... It is probably a conceptual issue, as all roms have the issue, due to the circular form of the windows. A shame for such a top-class hotel where everything is perfect that they can;t find a fundamental solution to that problem... Overall however, nice stay, though there are equally good horels in that price range that don't have the noise issue....

Room Tip: High floor, corner room
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Maritime_Manager, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2011

Thanks for the review. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and the various food and beverage offerings we have here on the property. I wanted to just follow up on the soundproofing of the rooms that you mentioned.

When we first opened, we really had a bad issue with the vintage porthole windows from the 60's. At first, they were only a single pane and did not have any sound proofing whatsoever. We retro-fit the windows with a second pane of glass and we designed a rubber seal to close up any areas where air or sound could get through. Then we added additional latches to make sure each room closes up tight. For those guests who are extremely sensitive to noise, we also created the window plugs which you mentioned in the review. Yes, they block the view, but while sleeping that's not usually too much of an issue.

Thanks for the feedback and we hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed May 17, 2011

We spent a week at the Maritime.
It was our second time in the hotel and as usual it was amazing.The staff is very friendly, the food is very good and the location is amazing: walking distance from all the Chelsea galleries, designers shops from the meatpacking and the High Lane Park. If I go back to NYC, I'll definitely stay there.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Hi Cris,

Thanks for the review! Spending a week really allows you to experience all the hotel and neighborhood have to offer, as well as the chance to hit some of the more notable tourist destinations around the city. It seems like you had a great trip!

We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed May 11, 2011

I travel quite a bit for work and prefer to stay at boutique hotels whenever possible. I was participating in the Wine & Spirits Magazine Top of the List Tasting at the Metropolitan Pavilion and they recommended the Maritime Hotel because it was within walking distance. I'm so glad they did, or else I may not have found this gem. For starters, I took a red-eye and got to the hotel at 9:30am- SO early! I knew it was a long-shot asking for such an early check-in, but figured it wouldn't hurt to try. Well, believe it or not, they got me in at 9:30!! Or should I say, Danielle did! She was awesome- so helpful, personable and kind. That gave me time to take a nap and then workout in their complimentary fitness center before I had to be at the event at 3:00. The room wasn't big, but had everything I needed including plenty of desk space. The bed was super comfortable and the maritime design of the room was beautiful. My favorite was the 5ft porthole window- classic! Even the toiletries were amazing- everything down to the loofah and toothpaste they leave for you. Did I mention there was a rain shower head?!! :)
When I got back from the event, I decided to grab a drink and a bite to eat in the lobby bar. The margherita pizza was delicious and Amanda, the bartender, was fabulous too. Pretty much everyone that works here goes out of their way to make you feel at home. This morning, I ate breakfast at Bottega and my chicken apple sausage took a little longer than my eggs, so they even comped those. Awesome customer service.
Sadly, I only stayed one night, but hope to visit again in the future. I HIGHLY recommend this hotel!

1  Thank krissydmiller
Maritime_Manager, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2011

I am so glad that you found out about our hotel and had a wonderful stay. It really means so much to us to hear back from our guests. Even if something might have gone a bit awry, we'd always prefer to know about it and fix it.

Danielle and Amanda have both been with us for a while. I'll be sure to pass along your kind words and great review!

Best

Reviewed May 9, 2011

I come to NY twice a year for fashion week and always stay here. What can I say about the Maratime that has not been said, other than they are just FAB... I dream about the bed for 6 months until my trip. I can't stop talking about the staff to everyone who will listen to me. Special mention to the bar staff who always remember me and make me feel welcome as I always am always on vacation alone.

On a special note in 2010 when the snow storm hit NY the team at the Maratime went out of their way to help me move my reservation around so I would not get stuck.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo

Ah, a member of our extended Maritime family! Thanks for taking the time to post such a nice note. The blizzards of 2010 & 2011 were quite a lot to deal with, especially for our guests trying to escape. But all that suffering has been rewarded with a wonderful Spring. Our courtyard sprung to life after a long dormant Winter.

Cheers,

Reviewed May 7, 2011

Good food and nice staff :) The staff at the front desk was very helpful. The hotel food was good quality. The best part was how comfortable the bed was. I found out I had to go to NY the night before. The only flight available got me there around 7am. They did not make me wait until noon to check-in. I was pleasantly surprised and how nice they were. The staff really took an interest in me.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank B2B33

Whenever we are able, we try to accommodate our guests for an early arrival. I always suggest adding those comments to your reservation, as it helps us know when to expect you. If you ever want to guarantee a room will be waiting for you, please just call us directly and we can help pre-register your room and book you from the night before.

We hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed May 2, 2011

I stayed here for a week on a business trip and thoroughly enjoyed it. Staff was efficient and courteous, room was blessedly quiet and well-appointed (though small, this being NYC), and the location for me was ideal (with our offices right across the street). Bar/restaurant area is a great place to relax with friends for a drink or two before a night on the town. Overall, a very positive experience that I plan on repeating on my next NYC trip.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Maritime_Manager, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2011

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your week long stay with us. And even happier to hear that you're excited for the next trip. You'll be in good company, as a lot of our guest have stayed multiple times. Once guest is already up to his 325th stay.

Cheers,