“Fantastic tour guide - Alex!!!”
Review of Best Tours

Best Tours
Ranked #31 of 104 Food & Drink in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: If you're looking for things to do and places to go in New York, you've come to the right place! Best Tours is the world's best tour company, offering the best tours on and off the beaten track! Our world famous sightseeing tours, walking tours, food tours, and private vehicle tours show you a city through it's culture and food, engage you through it's history, and entertain you with it's wonder!
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We took the Chocolate Tour on a beautiful spring day and what made it so great was the tour guide, Alex. The stops along the way weren't so fantastic, but his commentary on the history of New York City and it's various neighborhoods, architecture and art was incredible. Alex was congenial and extremely knowledgeable. While the chocolate sampling was delicious and we made some stops at some bakeries, too, we expected to see some chocolate making in action or learn from the chocolatiers about their various businesses. Instead, we were given samples and then offered a 10% discount at most places to make purchases. I would recommend the tour only if you could guarantee that Alex is your guide!

There are newer reviews for Best Tours

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I was visiting my friend in the city and we found a Groupon for the ghost tour. The directions said to meet at Washington Square Park at 6:45pm for the 7pm tour. By 7:15pm when no tour guide had showed up we called the office to make sure we had the right place and time. The British guy (he never gave us a name) was very rude and told us our guide was delayed but getting off the subway and walking our way. At 7:30pm we saw a guy dressed in Victorian costume and a lantern waiting under the arch. He turned out to be another guide from a different company who was thirty minutes early for his tour (New York Ghost Tours, my tip is to use them). We called the office again at 7:45pm and again were told the guide had just gotten off the subway and was walking our way. He finally shows up a little after 8pm and tells us he was called at 7:15 pm and asked to come do the tour. The guide was nice, but this WAS NOT a ghost tour. It was more of a random facts off the top of his head tour. The only ghost story I remember was read off of his cell phone. We all received free tours of our choice in the future, but after this experience I will never use Great New York Tours again.

KeatMW, Manager at Best Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and we're very sorry about what happened. Our guide was delayed, and we were unfortunately unable to get a replacement guide to the location by 7 pm.

We would be delighted to show you a proper tour in the future, and we thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We went on the Cupcake walking tour with Mallory as our guide and had an amazing time. All the cupcakes we tasted were delicious and the gelato was the best I have ever eaten. Mallory was fun & gave us lots of information about cupcakes, New York and the places we visited. I loved that the walk wasn't too far and that we got a treat at each stop. I would recommend to anyone who loves cupcakes!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

First, the good: Alex, our guide, was very good and told us many interesting things about NY and the places we visited. Also, as I used a Living Social coupon, his talks alone made it a decent value.
Now the problem: It clearly stated maximum 20 to the tour and we were 26. This created time problems. The tour took 3 hours instead of 2 and some of us had lunch reservations. It was not fair to Alex or the group to misrepresent the number of people in the group.
We had a total of 8 tastings. The 3 bakeries were most generous. The chocolate places, not so much. The last 2 gave out minuscule pieces that anyone who walked in could have access to: The absolute stingiest, xocolatti.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Our (my wife and I took the tour) Tour Guide was Alex and he made the walk fun and interesting. I would agree with some of the other reviews that state that there are not many ghost stories. However, we learned many different facts about the West Village and many of it's historical sites and activities. I have to say it was a fun and worthwhile experience. However, we are Manhattan residents so for us it was a nice evening out.

This is truly a walking tour so for those that have difficulty walking either wear comfortable shoes or consider another tour. We had one couple from New Jersey that quit the tour after only 10 minutes. Our guide Alex tried to convince them to stay and try and although they were very nice about it they realized that they would be unable to keep up with the group.

Our group was small in size (8 total) which seemed to be about the right size and we covered quite a bit of the West Village during our two hours. We enjoyed seeing Aaron Burr's home and Carriage House, Teddy Roosevelt's home, Mark Twain's home (one of them), the home of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" author, the Little Owl Restaurant (Friends TV Show), the Italian Tenements, several great restaurants and many unique New York Characters (residents).

When the tour is over, you are in a great location to grab dinner or a slice of pizza in a great restaurant or pizza joint. We found a new, tiny noodle and dumpling restaurant that we went back to and loved. If you take this tour, please know that your Tour Guide is working for tips and be generous if he/she does a good job. I am always surprisingly disappointed when I see patrons that give no tip at all.

All in all, this was a fun tour if you have a few hours to spare in New York City!