“good food, sodas aren't free refills”
Review of Tea & Sympathy

Tea & Sympathy
Reserve with OpenTable
Tea & Sympathy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #134 of 591 Coffee & Tea in New York City
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: West Village
USA
“good food, sodas aren't free refills”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

This is a small place so there might be a wait. Good food, had sandwiches, but was annoyed the waitress never told us sodas weren't free refills. Sorry where the norm is to have free refills or to be told, the staff here should inform the customer.

Wouldn't prevent me from going again, they just need to mention it or put it on their menu

Visited January 2014

Union
“Not bad”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

This is one of my favorite places to go especially for dessert. I highly recommend the apple crisp with custard. Inside is warm and quaint. It is a little small but very cozy. You have to have an open mind to eat here because at anytime you may be asked to switch seats. All in all the food is not bad. If I am not having dessert I order the roasted cornish hen. I almost forgot the most important thing the tea. They have several different blends of tea which are satisfying. They serve it by the pot. I do not like the fact that you are unable to share the tea. I mean if you do you will still be charged for tea for $4 per person/pot.

• Visited December 2013
Washington DC
“Very Quaint English Place”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We were the only "American" speaking people in the place. The place is very tiny and the bathroom even tinier, but the service is larger than life. Cannot say enough about the service. As mentioned in other posts, the place is little on the pricey side. The scones are very tasty but are small and a bit pricey. Having just been to London, it was still a treat. It isn't for big crowds as the place is quite small. The owner is from the UK and has been here in the US for over 20 years. Very likable. Great tea.

• Visited December 2013
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, United States
“First Time Visit In A Long Time”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Recently ate here. Food and service was good. A little too small to my liking and it is VERY EXPENSIVE for what you get. I don't expect to return anytime soon.

• Visited November 2013
New York City, New York
“I have an apartment a block away”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

So when in NYC Tea and Sympathy is one of my regular eateries, go there often. Yes, the place is tiny, so I go to eat at times of low traffic for it, go when few folk go. Perhaps they only prepare good food when I and my kin, kith, and friends go there; it's the only explanation for the low opinions expressed of the food. I do have a tendency to eat 2 or 3 things all the times there, rarely choosing entrees beyond the 2 or 3 ones I regularly eat. Perhaps that explains the low scores; I only order the 2 or 3 good items on the menu. But that doesn't explain my kith, kin, and friends who are more adventuous; they declare, I believe them, that the food is good. Out of a hundred times - I lived in NYC all the time then or more a couple of times there was something easily discernibly wrong with an order, they sent out a delicious replacement.

Go in friendly, follow their rules, dont complain about the small space. If you dont like the latter dont eat there. The food is good, folk who work there friendly and courteous, and the custard marvelous.

• Visited September 2013